Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Drink

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bethany, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Bethany

Bethany Guest

Just wanted some input really, i am at Cambridge studying Medicine, and a while back we did some research on ppl who drink to excess. Do you think Alcohol should have some restrictions? Maybe slow the sale of booze down? Close bars earlier? Do you think its fair that smokers have restricted areas to smoke in ? For example you never hear of someone being beating up by a smoker but yet it happens a lot with boozers.
    Also can you tell who drinks heavily and who doesnt by just there personality? Some ppl turn nasty in drink and some are brilliant. I am a happy drinker , in drink i am stupid and great fun , but i am aware that some ppl are evil in drink.

2. SemolinaPilchard

SemolinaPilchard PetForums Member

Countries that don't place restrictions on alcohol seem to fair better than us, the french for example are social drinker's, drink with their meals and even introduce their children to it, at a much younger age and don't appear to have the same anti social behaviour that seems to go hand in glove with alcohol in this country. I've always felt that the UK's young drink to excess because we make such a big deal about it, things that are prohibited attract the usual mentality of 'cos im not allowed, i will' attitude.
    As for smoker's...no i dont feel they should be segregated from the rest, they are dangers from drinking and yet people still choose to frequent pubs/clubs knowing there's a high probability of loutish behaviour occurring so what's so different about being a place where people smoke? You know it happens, if you choose to go then that's the individual's decision ultimately.
    I dont think you can distinguish the drinking habits of someone by their personality...ok if you've an addiction nature you may be more inclined to alcohol issue's but there are still lots of ordinary people who drink to excess and the reasons are many and varied.

My opinion anyway Lol

3. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

I like drinking but don't have enough money to do it justice - i tend to buy the cheap stuff like cider and get pie eyed on that.

I smoke too, and that is really expensive.

Aint got a job either, all I wanna do all day is drink and smoke but am broke.

What can I do?:(:(

4. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

we have a mate who can't drink stella becuase it makes him fight, he once beat up some bloke cos his gf was ugly... he doesn't drink stella when he's out.. we've tried to tell him to drink proper beer but so far no luck lol.

i don't think you can tell if someones a 'bad' drinker just by their personality as if that were the case i would still be a heavy drinker now.. i stopped drinking heavily about 10 years ago when i could no longer be bothered going to pubs anymore mostly becuase other peoples smoking was making me ill and i hates stinking of fags. however both my bro and dad and most of my dads family are heavy drinkers.

i think it's nurture over nature, people do what their parents do (and if their parents are particularly bad with drink they go the opposite way and don't drink at all) and britain has a bad drink attitude, unlike places on the continent like france where it is a social but balanced attitude but unlike britain it's not a social overindulgence attitude.

Britain doesn't have the many restrictions on alcohol in all honesty, i think we should have more and pubs should start chucking people out who are too drunk and lairy far more often than they do.

5. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

Hiya huni hope you are well?

Hmmmm I dont really drink that much now as the medication im on, doesnt really allow me too! All i have is the occasional Woodpecker!

I agree i think there should be a limit for people but where would they start?? As they can always move on to the next pub, or shop and then go home and start drinking again!

Younger people ought to realise about the dangers of drink and what it does to there, bodies, so its good when there are people like you about, to try and do something about it! So thank you!

Im glad im not a teenager this day and age!

6. CatzEyes

CatzEyes PetForums VIP

Here where I live in the states that is a hot topic. The number of people who are killed every year by a drunk driver is large. I do think they should spend more time regulated alcohol than tobacco.

I know a few people who are extreme alcoholics and you can tell because of what it has done to there body and health, but there personalities do not show it. I have known some violent drunks though, like my real dad who I don't know, mom kicked him out when I was 3 and my step dad who physically abused me till I escaped at the age of 15. I personaaly think the way alcohol affects people depends on the person. Most of the people we party with are harmless when they drink.

7. CatzEyes

CatzEyes PetForums VIP

Thats awful Kath. My husband drinks and has had 3 D.U.I's which landed him in prison for 18 months. After that he slowed down alot and does not operate a vehicle anymore after he drinks and dose not drink like he was before either. He does not get violent but can be very onry and argumenative.

8. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

Unfortunatley, even if laws were changed to make it harder to buy drink, or bring the amount of units we are allowed to have in a week down, how would they know how much people have had?? Because if they carried a card of somesort, there are always ways round these things, to cheat as we know with credit card fraud and the like!

Also they could raise the drinking age to 21, but i think that would make matters worse, as it would just make it more attractive to the youngsters, than it already is!

Also i think that the movies could perhaps help out by, not letting the actors seen drinking a lot then going into a fight and getting up not hurt! As a lot of youngsters look up to celebreties as a role model for their lives.

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I know....Get a job!

10. kath123

kath123 Guest

Here!!! Here!!!

11. Bethany

Bethany Guest

Eh? My post was asking for ppls opinions not giving out advice on how to get ' pie eyed ' ! :eek:ut:

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

*gets off soapbox* :D

13. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I drink and smoke:rolleyes:. I get silly and am told the life and soul of the party:eek:. Most non smoker's are outside with us smoker's. I kind of think there should in each town of city smoking and non smoking pub's, Not much help sorry:). think zero drink if driving though.

14. genna ann

genna ann PetForums Member

i am a happy/sleepy drunk.

Drinking too much makes me laugh a lot and then yap a lot and then i come over all sleepy. I never get aggressive or nasty , i have been known to fall asleep inappropriately however.

I smoke a bit, i wish i didnt but its like i have a demon in my brain. Ah well i could be worse, i could be psycotic :D

15. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

think I'll have a drink!!
    I'm not an Alcoholic, i'm just in training!!!

16. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

**speechless** :rolleyes:

17. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

try n get a job..............

18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

It's so hard sponging off the government and everyone who pays taxes :(

19. kath123

kath123 Guest

It is probably the walk to the post office to get the giro that is so hard hun!!!! :mad:

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

That too :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice