Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dried vegetables for hamsters?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Nyah626, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Nyah626

Nyah626 PetForums Member

Hi,
    So I've been thinking about making my own food for when i get my next hamster and a friend of mine gave me a recipe to use, (i still want to do a lot more research about hamster food before i definitely use this recipe) but in the ingredients it says i need dried vegetables (and then it lists some hamster safe veggies). I've never really heard of giving hamsters dried vegetables before (but i think it does make sense? if there was fresh veg in the recipe it would expire in about a week.)
    So if i do use dried vegetables to make my own food mix do i need to dry the vegetables myself? If so how do i dry the veg? Or do i buy them somewhere? Where?
    Sorry for so many questions, i don't really know much right now :p

Engel98 likes this.
  2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I will say this first.One thing I've learnt is always use a commercial mix because you won't get all the vitamins and minerals right. Honestly you'll need 30+ ingredients, a ton of research and they a lot of faffing about. I would strongly advise using a combination of commercial and your own mix in a ratio of 50/50 max to make it balanced. It's really difficult. I've tried and failed many, many times. While it is possible there's a huge risk involved!

Right, dried veggies and herbs can be purchased already dehydrated from [email protected] if you have one. I add them to my mix a lot and my Syrians LOVE the parsnip and beetroot. Easiest way to dehydrate them is with a dehydrator. Alternatively you could put slices in the oven on a low heat for a couple of hours. Each oven is different so you'll have to work that out yourself for your own oven. I tried dehydrating sweet potato and it took 4-5hrs on 100°C in a fan oven. Each ingredient is different though. A lot of it is trial and error. Hope that helps. Good luck! :)

3. Nyah626

Nyah626 PetForums Member

Thanks so much! This is really helpful. While I've been trying to learn more about making my own mix I've stumbled on a fair amount of info about mixing commercial foods, I'll definitely seriously consider mixing with commercial now.
    As for the dried veg, I don't buy from [email protected] anymore but i will definitely look into dehydrators or at least test some slices of something in the oven. I definitely still have a long way to go but I think I'm starting to better understand how to mix a good food so that my next hamster can have the best diet i can give :)

4. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I'm currently mixing Harry hamster with a variety of seeds as well as millet, mealworms and veggies. You can use fresh veggies. In fact I think that may be better as a lot of nutrients can be burnt out by cooking/dehydrating it.

Ingredients I've added to my 'mix'
    -sesame seeds
    -flaxseeds
    -chai seeds
    -lentils
    -millet (different varieties)
    -oat flakes
    -wheat flakes
    -barley flakes
    -mealworms
    -pistachios every now and again

Veggies and herbs I feed regularly
    -kale
    -spinach
    -rocket
    -celery
    -basil
    -thyme
    -parsley
    -parsnip
    -swede
    -beetroot
    -peas
    -broccoli
    -carrots (got quite a bit of sugar in them. While you should watch the sugar intake of all hamsters, special care should be taken with dwarf species, especially Campbell's as they're prone to diabetes).

Small quantities are always best. No bigger than a 5p. May take your hamster a while to adjust. Too much water or b vitamins can cause loose stools. My hams (I have 4) have fresh veggies every day. What isn't eaten gets thrown within 24hrs but to be honest there's hardly any and I do check the nests. I had to do it gradually. Like twice a week them 3-4 times a week.

Is there anything else you need any help with? I'll be happy to help

Nyah626 likes this.
  5. Nyah626

Nyah626 PetForums Member

Thanks again, i was wondering, how do you calculate the nutrients of a mixed food? I've read about how to find the GA of 2 mixed commercial brands but how do you know what the GA is of a mixed diet with your own seeds, grains etc?

6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice