Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dried Mealworms?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Sytheruk, May 16, 2010.

1. Sytheruk

Sytheruk PetForums Junior

Hi there, Ive been reading that mealworms are a great source of protein for hammys an they love them!

What ive been wondering is, can you give them any dried mealworm? ie, ive bought some mealworms for the garden birds that are dried and additive free, would they be ok?

just dont want to risk giving her some if theres a certain type designed for hamsters that are processed in a different way to what some are that are for garden birds.

Many thanks :D

2. ButterflyBlue

ButterflyBlue PetForums Senior

have u tried giving them scrambled egg? they love it and thats also a good source of protein :p mine get it once a week :) just microwave the egg and there it is :thumbup:

3. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I give mine those dried mealworms too and they love them. They've never done mine any harm :thumbup:

The burgess hamster food has those in already, but its cheaper to buy your own ;)

4. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

The dried mealworms are fine for a treat, they are too fatty (I think:confused:) to give them loads but they are also not as nutritious as live/fresh mealworms.

5. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I give my hamsters mealworms, at first my syrians wouldn't eat them at all so I just gave them to Poppet my dwarf hamster.

Then my syrian Stella had a stroke/fit/something and after that she decided that life's too short to be vegetarian :D so she eats mealworms now :confused:

Sausage my other syrian still refuses to eat them though :D

6. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

i bought some dried mealworms for my hamsters and rats and none of them would touch them i think i just have very fussy furries because by the looks of it everybody elses looks like they love them:)

7. Baby British

Baby British PetForums VIP

My Duprasi loves these dried meal worms and yet the two Mongolian gerbils won't touch em!

8. jasmineismyhamster

jasmineismyhamster PetForums Junior

I shall get some to try tomorrow

9. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Not that I could...but...how about live mealworms? Does it make a difference? Do domesticated hamsters have a murderous streak in them?

I really couldn't do it...just curious? xx

10. BattleKat

BattleKat PetForums Senior

I've given them to my gerbils and mice and they both love them (but the mice always leave the ends for some reason). It's a shame they don't do smaller boxes of the live ones.

I put a grasshopper in my gerbil cage once, morbid sense of curiosity I think, and they murdered and ate him so I'm sure they'd eat live ones and they're more nutritious.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice