Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dreaded Fleas....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jodie2020, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Jodie2020

Jodie2020 PetForums Newbie

Hi there

I have an indoor Birman Cat. Yesterday we spotted a few fleas.
    I have used Fleaaway recommended by RSPCA.
    Hoovered EVERYWHERE. And treated most areas with a flea spray
    Shes currently sat on me now and just seen a few more on her coat

Any recommendations please?

Im stressing a little bit

Thanks

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Fleaaway contains the insecticide Fipronil which is no longer effective at killing fleas in many parts of the UK. My vet has not stocked it (or recommended it) for the past 5 years. The RSPCA perhaps needs to update the advice on its website.

You will not be able to give your cat another flea treatment for 4 weeks after the last one. When you do so, use Advantage spot-on which you can buy online without a prescription from Pets at Home or from online vet pharmacies. Advantage spot-on contains a different insecticide to Fleaaway and so far there have been no reports of it not working.

Meanwhile use a flea comb to remove any fleas and flea dirt off your cat.

You will also need a decent household insecticide - Acclaim, RIP Fleas or Indorex are the best makes. You need to treat every part of the house, not just places where the cat sits or lies. You could be distributing the fleas around the house on your own clothes. You do not need to spray the home more than once a year, or twice a year at most. Spraying more often will not help.

Bear in mind that no insecticide kills flea pupae. They lie dormant in carpets, skirting board, cracks in wooden floors etc. When they eventually hatch out as adult fleas they should jump on your cat and be killed by the flea treatment she will have had (not the Fleaaway, but the Advantage).

Keep up with the vacuuming every day or so. The vibrations encourage the flea pupae to hatch out. Empty the contents of the vacuum bag straight into an outside bin every time you have vacuumed.

Useful advice from the RIP Fleas website:

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/pupal-window/

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/flea-life-cycle/

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/r-i-p-fleas-extra/

Keep up with the Advantage every month. :)

3. Jodie2020

Jodie2020 PetForums Newbie

Just an update guys!!!!!

Took her to vets this morning they have treated her and the fleas literally dropped off her minutes later
    House has been treated!

I need a gin!

OrientalSlave likes this.
  4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Out of curiosity, what did they treat her with?

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Wow, that must be some fierce stuff the vet used! I have never known fleas to drop off a cat only minutes later after being treated! :eek: Usually it takes up to 24 hours after treatment to find any dead fleas when combing the cat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice