Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dopram

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Jacorat, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Jacorat

Jacorat PetForums Newbie

Hi. I’m new to this forum but have been breeding pedigree cats since 1981. I always like to have Dopram drops in the fridge when one of my queens is having kittens - just in case. Over the years I’ve thrown away far more than I’ve used. I understand that Dopram has been discontinued and wondered if there is a substitute drug available for resuscitation of struggling neonates?
    What are others breeders using now? Many thanks.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I have asked a moderator to move your thread to the correct section where you are more likely to get replies

3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Unfortunately there is no alternative available - nothing with its potency anyway.

I would be interested to find out why it was withdrawn. As far as I was aware both the injectable and oral forms were highly effective. You have to wonder.

#3 gskinner123, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  4. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

Having read the human SPC for Dopram it is contraindicated for infants and neonates due to serious affect it has on cerebral and other major organs blood flow, leading to serious side effects such as developmental delay, heart problems and bowel perforation. I would suspect similar side effects in mammals which may be why it was withdrawn.

5. gskinner123

That isn't really surprising given how potent a drug it is. It's hard to believe it was ever available to buy or was it actually a POM-V?

6. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

I've never heard of it, what was it used for?

7. lillytheunicorn

It was used to stimulate breathing in kittens, puppies etc born who were struggling to breath when born

8. lillytheunicorn

It looks as though the use in humans is becoming limited with the use of short acting general anaesthetic drugs, as Dopram was used to stimulate respiration and the central nervous system of people under general anaesthetic to encourage them to come round when deeply under. Alongside safer drugs for its other uses.

It’s side effects are quite scary, and it is hard to believe that it was ever a POM-V.

9. David C

David C PetForums Senior

If you want it these days you need to get it from your vet as it is now a POM, Sites like vet uk and pet drugs online etc used to sell it but it was remeover a couple of years ago now.

10. gskinner123

So it is still available..not withdrawn?

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I can't find a data sheet for it at NOAH so I suspect it's no longer available.

gskinner123 likes this.
  12. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Having just spoken to my vet about it yesterday. It can now no longer be used on small pets but can still be used for lambs and calves

gskinner123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice