Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Don't want to make him lose his "manhood"...

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kosha, May 18, 2010.

1. Kosha

Kosha PetForums Junior

Hey guys. Me and my wife have a 1.5 years old cat, which we adopted when he was about 2 months old. We pretty much cured him of dozens diseases and physical disabilities and he became a real cheetah. We never castrated him though. My wife believes castrating animals makes them lose their joy of life and changes their personality. The vets warned us that at some point he's going to pee around the house, mark territory and become violent. We told them that when that happens, we're gonna bring him in (crossing our fingers behind our backs and hoping this day will never come)
    When he passed a one year old mark without any problems, we were already sure that we've managed to get around that procedure. Until about a month ago. That day came. He became unbearable. The house smells real bad. He cant miss a pile of clothes without marking him with his "love scent". He can't take his eyes off of the window, watching the street cats. He won't shut up, but the worst part... the things he does to my wife's arm... are way above the things I'm fantasizing about doing.... :rolleyes:
    I really don't wanna do this though!!! Is it even healthy undergoing such a procedure at his age? Do you think he'll hate us forever and become "lifeless"?

#1 Kosha, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Of course he wont hate you, he will be feeling so much happier and calmer in himself without his hormones dominating him, he will prolly be more affectionate as well. :)

3. Kosha

Kosha PetForums Junior

You think so? Well, that calms me down a bit... thanks!

lololol on your sig, by the way!!!! :)

#3 Kosha, May 18, 2010
  4. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

yeah he will be fine, I have had nutless cats my entire life and they all were none the wiser ;)

5. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

Is he a house cat or does he go outdoors?

He will be completely fine when neutered - less prone to certain types of cancers too. And he'll prob be more affectionate - mine are. As for loosing their joy of life - i have to say this is a bit silly IMO, mine are soooo happy and prob have no idea about loosing their bits too be honest! I had them done at 4 1/2 months. He'll prob be far less stressed as he wont have the desire to roam - which if he is a house cat will be making him stressed and he'll also be far less randy and aggressive.

Am sorry if this comes accross as harsh, i dont mean it to, but whilst I am glad you're now thinking about having him done, this very thread is why i think we need a sitcky about the pro's for neutering/spaying. It is so important to have them done. And early on in life too. Good luck!

He may not loose his desire to spray - once they start, even neutering can sometimes not be enough to stop them, its a VERY hard habit to break... another reason for early neutering.

6. Kosha

Kosha PetForums Junior

Just cats I hope ;)

7. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw I dunno :rolleyes: I know some peeps that should have had it done Lol ;) :D

8. Kosha

Kosha PetForums Junior

I'm totally with you lily...

As for Twins... he's a house cat. No outdoors... we live on a 3d floor apartment. Yeah, I figured it should be done as early as possible. But my wife and her beliefs... what could I do :confused1:

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Slightly off-topic but i find it really interesting that it is your wife not you who objects to having your male cat done. It is usually the other way round - that men are more apprehensive and perhaps more empathic :lol:

I had my boys done early and I don't think their temperament has changed at all. One is independent and has remained that way and the other has been more affectionate and has stayed that way.

Considering that he has now started spraying I think you should get him done sooner rather than later (and unfortunately now that he has started doing it that doesn't mean that he will stop spraying necessarily either....) Edit: Oops The Twins has already said that more elegantly than me :))

#9 hobbs2004, May 18, 2010
  10. Kosha

Kosha PetForums Junior

That's bumming... He really loves spraying on clothe piles... And let's say that we manage to keep our wardrobe on the floor more than in the actual closet...

And about the empathy... :) Yeah, I am supposed to be empathic... But my anger management problems keep me from remembering that I have any bit of love for that creature when he starts meawing like crazy all night

#10 Kosha, May 18, 2010
  11. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Even though there is a small chance he may still spray it would be better to neuter him anyway asap, he is still young enough to not be too far into the habit :) This is from google lol and shows how small the chance of it been a problem after is . :cool:

Can I stop my cat spraying?

There are several approaches you can take but not all may work for your situation.

Castration of males or spaying of females can reduce the cat’s motivation for spraying.

Early neutering of your kitten will in most cases stop your cat from spraying in the future. Neutering after spraying activity has commenced may reduce it.

For older cats, one study showed that
    87% of all male cats stop spraying after castration
    78% stop immediately
    9% stop in a few months
    13% keep spraying

Another study showed that 77% of cats reduced or stopped spraying within six months of being neutered or spayed.

hobbs2004 likes this.
  12. Kosha

Kosha PetForums Junior

Well, I'll take my chances then... they seem not to bad at all!
    Thanks for the "research" :)

13. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

once neutered he should stop spraying/weeing, I know our Cali did he was about the same age as your cat too. It took about 6-8 weeks after the op for him to stop. Its just one of those things, some male cats can live un neuterd and never spray.

14. Kosha

Kosha PetForums Junior

Yeah, cats do have some nasty habits... but don't we all? ;)
    Thanks for your help guys!

15. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Speak for yourself man :lol::lol: I am always perfectly behaved

16. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

:eek: same here !! I am an angel till welshie corrupts me :rolleyes: :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice