Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dont know what to do

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Peppa, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

At the moment, both rabbits are separate, peppa has roam of the yard & snowball is in her pen but when i let them out peppa just follows her round the pen so im thinking should i just let them both out togther for one time and see how they get on?

Peppa is a boy (i think) and snowball a girl (they think) so i guess they would do 'something' together I would only let it happen once then take them to vets to get 'done' but would that be cruel, but then again i dont want them to fight and once ive let them out together again would it be cruel to put them back in their separate hutches?

Should i take them to vets first before letting them out together? :confused:

We are going on holiday in a weeks time so there will be a neighbour looking after them while we are away so i would think they would be kept in their hutches for that week anyway.

Sorry for all the questions, i have had rabbits before but not more than 1 at a time so all this is new to me! :D

2. frags

frags PetForums VIP

if you let them together once, once is all it takes for rabbits to get pregnant.

dont let them together hun its not worth it. having baby rabbits is hard work and time fulfilling, im out with my lot so much i hardly get any time to myself.
    also if the doe is too young it could harm her having kits or even worse kill her.

get them done then bond them, its so much easier x

3. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

Ah thanks thats what i thought anyway, but my mam is up visiting and she was watching them both yesterday and peppa looks like he wants to be with snowball so much my mam was feeling sorry for him! She said we could stop them for doing 'it' if we put them together for 1 time! :D lol

Im going to make an appoint for when i come back from holiday then i can keep an eye on them myself rather than put them togther when the neighbour is bunny sitting!

4. frags

frags PetForums VIP

there is no way of stopping them mate, when i mated midnight with waldo it took about 3-5 seconds and the deed is done. as soon as they start its finished.

5. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

I think ive decided to separat Snowball and the guinea pig and get an indoor cage for guinea pig so he can have his own toys etc, i know some people say not to put bunnies & Guinea pigs togther but then again other say its fine but if i can get the bunnies together then Fudge will be on his own anyway! :)

6. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

I agree with Frags.Get your rabbits neutered first then bond them.
    Rabbits should never be put with guinea pigs.Not only can rabbits kill a guinea pig with one kick they also have completely different dietary needs.

7. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

Well done for asking advice for a start, any baby animal is cute but they require a lot of time and effort and so many need homes why create more (sorry breeders :) )

I have some baby buns right now, i did buy the mum and then found out she coudl be pregnant but i figured the owner wanted shut anyway at least i knew i could look after mum and the babies rather than someone who may take the babies to a pet shop etc

Im enjoying the experience so much as i woudl never breed them on purpose so this will be my only litter, oh and all the kits are staying :) no pet shop or dodgy people, what would you do with the kits? Pet shops are a big no no and ask the breedes on here, soemtimes they turn people away and they get a lot of time wasters.

I think you made the right decision, most animals need their own company and its so sad seeing male animals crazy with frustration get them both neutered and wait for the hormones to settle before introducing and try to do it on neutral ground.

If you do decide your definatley want to mate her i woudlnt do anything before you go away, just in case there are complications.

Will you get a friend for fudge?

8. frags

frags PetForums VIP

accepted :001_tt2:
    but i do know what you mean hun x

9. Pampered pets

well i was just going to add soemthing but you got there first lol

There is a place for breeding but only for people genuinally interested in promoting and improving a specific breed for health and temprement and who are responsible on where their babies go and who are dedicated to their animals welfare, its quite different to joe blogs who has two rabbits who he knows know history of, they arnt a breed and he only does it because he cant/wont pay neutering costs and thinks he can make a quick buck at the pet shop with no interest where the rabbits end up,then when an animals isnt suitable for breeding it get sold and replaced that makes me mad and im in NOOOO way saying thats the author of this post, it clearly isnt im just on my soab box , ill quietly get down and toddle away lol

10. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

Thanks everyone for the advice, im def. not going to breed from her, friends have said to do it & sell them to pet shop & one friend has already said she would like 2 babies but im not going to do it, im def. taking them to the vets, once that part is over with i will be stressed about introducing them to each other! :)

As for getting a friend for fudge i would love to but his brother has been left at the pet shop and dont know if they will fight now after being apart?

11. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I would say that there is a chance they could fight now they have been seperated, I had a youngster and then a couple of weeks on I got the guinea he had lived with since he was about 4 weeks I think and they didnt get on too well, I have now seperated them and they are with other ones. What would you do with them if they didnt get on? If you have an option to seperate them then I guess you can but try.

*Heidi*

12. Pampered pets

aww great decision, good luck with the bonding you need nerves of steel LOL i find ferrets wayyyy more easier to bond than rabbits.

what a shame about fudge, can you get him castrated to and get him a girly friend? i have two males who live very happy together but i knwo its not always the way, sometimes it depends on space as well my two have a huge two level hutch with a run so sometimes one sleeps at the top and one the bottom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice