UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, just wanting to vent, but if you have any advice it would be gratefully received.

Unfortunately, my brother-in-laws marriage has fallen apart and he has had to move 200 miles back home to live with his dad with his little one

They also have a 2 x rough collies and since my BIL left, his dog has been confined to the garden. It looks like he is getting fed, but no other interaction. Anyway, BIL brought him back home at the weekend, but his Dad has refused to let the dog stay at his so he brought him to us and gave him a much needed bath and we managed to get most of his matted fur back to normal.

My BIL wants to keep him but its going to be at realistically 6 months before he finds a job and has enough money to move himself and the little one into their own house. In the meantime, what happens to his dog? If he takes it back 200 miles to his wifes she says he can't have him back at all and looks like he will be confined to the garden again

On the other hand, he was no trouble staying with us this weekend, but Colin doesn't like him and growls, hackles and tail up if they come near each other. We have a large kitchen and utility that we have separated by a door and baby gate and last night everyone was nice and relaxed with just the babygate keeping them apart. I guess the question is; should we keep him for those few months until BIL gets back on his feet? Will this make Colin uncomfortable in his own home?

I understand why BIL wants to keep him as it's one of the only things he has left from his old life, but this dog is so sweet, laid back that I am sure he would have no trouble being rehomed through a proper rough collie charity or dogs trust etc. Of course I know there are hundreds if not thousands of others out there needing homes. I guess if all our dogs got along, I wouldn't have this issue - I can't bear to see this majestic dog going back to those squalid conditions but I don't want to ruin the dynamic with out current dogs

To make things worse, BIL is coming at lunchtime to pick his dog back up to take him back, so we have to decide by 1pm what to do...:confused:
arrgh
Sorry for the long post :(

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
lots and lots of people manage to keep dogs that dont get on well apart aslong as everyone in your house knows to keep them apart while in the house.

id keep him just because i dont think id sleep knowing he might end up in the cold wet garden sort of rotting away :(

You could start walking him and colin together till they are more comfy around each other, and move along like that aslong as your comfy with that

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lots and lots of people manage to keep dogs that dont get on well apart aslong as everyone in your house knows to keep them apart while in the house.

id keep him just because i dont think id sleep knowing he might end up in the cold wet garden sort of rotting away :(

You could start walking him and colin together till they are more comfy around each other, and move along like that aslong as your comfy with that
That's exactly it, I don't i could sleep tonight knowing he was back in the cold and dark and rotting away is definitely the correct term, he just seemed to have no life in him and that's only after a month of living this way - it really is no life :(

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whereabouts are you hun ?

As has been mentioned a short term foster could be the way to go if your B-I-L wants to keep the dog
Yorkshire - I'm at work (not doing much barr worrying :eek:), just sent him a message to let him know about the foster idea

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
I brought in a dog of my friends who has fallen on hard times. Lou didn't like him at first, but after a few days it all settled down and now they sleep side by side, play etc etc. Just give Collin time. I walked them together and everytime Jack came up to me and Lou growled - I walked away.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Thats a really hard one, whats Colin normally like (love the name by the way its on my short list of pets names but OH doesn't agree :D) with other dogs, is he likely to get used to the BIL dog or is he likely to continue being apprehensive, if the foster idea worked that would be great but otherwise I would be tempted to keep him myself and manage the situation till BIL is back on his feet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Colin is not really a doggie dog so to speak, would much rather be playing with us and his ball or out sniffing and has always been that way. A while back he was cornered by 4 dogs, one sniffing his face and the others sniffing his bum and he just turned from my lovely little boy to lots of teeth and snarling. After that he has always looked tense when greeting other dogs and lately you can hear a really low growl - we have just been referred to a behaviourist to get this sorted. Obviously, I don't want to do anything that will affect either dog badly

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's just an idea but could you take him on a trial basis and if things aren't working out consider fostering like someone already suggested, I think taking him back to be stuck in a garden should be ruled out, even if he ends up needing to be rehomed at least you'll know he's being taken care of.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Rough collie rescue is the best place to start as there are many who are willing to give one a home.

Please do not let him leave them in the garden as they thrive on human company and alone in a garden is really no place for them.

I'll give dexter a pm and see if she knows who could help in that area.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
Not advice as such but personally i would be keeping him for the moment
Percy hated Dillon when he first come home and he usually just ignores the fosters but he gets over it. Percy and Colin no doubt have lovely lives their noses can be put out of joint for a couple of days until they get used to it

Whats happened to the second dog by the way ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all your replies guys

My brother and his wife might be able to help out. :)

Unfortunately, my BIL has already collected his dog and is driving to his old house to pick up some more of his stuff. His wife is now saying that if he is not going to keep Billy with him then she wants him back (not sure why if he is going to be outside again!?). I all seems to be a point scoring exercise with this poor dog stuck in the middle. My BIL is just so upset and doesn't want to do anything to upset his wife.

I really hope he brings him back
As for the other RC, for some reason she is in the house and looked after :confused:

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Thanks for all your replies guys

My brother and his wife might be able to help out. :)

Unfortunately, my BIL has already collected his dog and is driving to his old house to pick up some more of his stuff. His wife is now saying that if he is not going to keep Billy with him then she wants him back (not sure why if he is going to be outside again!?). I all seems to be a point scoring exercise with this poor dog stuck in the middle. My BIL is just so upset and doesn't want to do anything to upset his wife.

I really hope he brings him back
As for the other RC, for some reason she is in the house and looked after :confused:
I'm a little confused if I'm honest.

Is the RC going to rescue or are one of the couple keeping him?

It may be me, my mind is slightly fuzzy today!:rolleyes:

Please if they are keeping the dog encourage them to keep him inside, they love to be part of the family and sit on the sofa and with people not outside on their own, it breaks my heart to even think of it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.