Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Don't know what to do ???

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by shazzywazzy, Jan 26, 2008.

1. shazzywazzy

shazzywazzy PetForums Newbie

Hello my name is Sharon I have a lovely border collie he is 6 years old and has always been scared of everything. the last couple of months he has got very naughty he chews through the fence to get at people the other side he has got a big issue with my brother in law, every time he comes round he does nothing but bark at him till he leaves. I am considering some kind of training but not sure what sort. Can someone help me please I am scared I will lose him

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hi and welcome
    i would get him to a training class they will help him get used to the things his scared of and the other things
    why not get your brother to sit on the floor with some treats and get him to feed them to him for every step your dog does he throws him a treat even throw one to make him step forward but he will have to move slowly. with a scared dog its a matter of training and slowly slowly and lots of time,
    get your brother to walk him as well even just round the block and feed him his food
    there is meny different ways to help your dog

3. shazzywazzy

when my brother in law sits down on the floor to try and calm the dog ,the dog just jumps all over him barking and going crazy

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

lol is he happy to see him then ?

5. shazzywazzy

no it's not that kind of bark its a more threatened bark

6. carol

carol PetForums VIP

you could try put the dog on the lead get your brother to stand on the lead so when he jumps he cant that much so the dog will correct himself and the dog will learn jumping will hurt as fot the barking use some keys dont let him see you throw them on the floor next to him to distract him from barking, when his quiet reward him with treat and good boy not to much fuss or will start over again.

7. shazzywazzy

I will try that!!

Also what type of training would be best for him?

8. carol

carol PetForums VIP

i think i would start from basics with him build up his confidence then as goes on, i would obedience and agitily with boarders they love to use the brains and love doing these even flyball any thing active

9. carol

carol PetForums VIP

have you got some pic's of your dog
    we all love pic's

10. shazzywazzy

buddy sit.jpg this is buddy

Attached Files:

11. carol

carol PetForums VIP

his lovely
    dont see meny nearly all black love the little white bits :)
    we got a tri

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice