Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dont know what to do.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by shells, Apr 11, 2011.

1. shells

shells PetForums VIP

my kitten tinker who is 1 hasnt been nutered as yet this is not through a lack of trying. her parents are strays that adopted my shed to live in whitch is where she was born. they come in and eat but will only come on the windowsill no futher. i whant her nutered for odviouse reasons but cant get her in a box or anything and she gets nasty when im trying to get her in one. i have put treats in it a blanket anything to coax her but nothing works and other than me she is werry of people so will hiss at anyone else. when i do manage to get her in one im really worried that she will atack the vet am out of ideas so any advice will be gratefully apreciated. thanks

2. sophie-paige

sophie-paige PetForums Junior

I carnt realy offer you any advice as i have probkems getting mine into pet carriers however she does like her food so i placed a snall bowl of food inside bundled her in a blanket so i dint get torn to ribbons and quickly stuck her in after 10 mins she calmed down and just ate her food. Ive also heard that if you leave the basket around for a couple of days with the door off a blanket inside and some food or a toy and do notvobsess over the basket just leave them to investigate when they ate ready that they should see it as a nice dark safe place and overtime casually wonder in and out of it this is what i am going to try next time

#2 sophie-paige, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I think half a day's stress for her is preferable to the alternative :) If she's really unmanageable and won't fall for being tempted into a cat basket with food, I think I'd try contactng some local shelters/cat charities and ask about the loan of a trap. I wouldn't worry overly about the vet and his staff being injured - I think it comes with their territory and they're pretty good at dealing with frightened, aggressive cats.

I don't know if she goes outside but, if she does and with her being a year old, you're really on borrowed time that she hasn't already become pregnant so while the trap may not sound too appealing, it may be the only option if you're to act swiftly.

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Does your kitten still live with her parents or does she live with you.If she is inside with you just grab her and let the vet worry about what happens.If they are all still outside as a group your best course of action ,I think ,would be to ask for help from a rescue society who could trap and neuter all three and would I'm sure give them back for you to care for .If you are willing to do that,or,could possibly find somewhere for the older cats to go and return the younger one.

5. shells

shells PetForums VIP

i have left the carrier with a blanket in the out house for this purpose but only my tom cat will go anywhere near it:(
    thet all sleep in the shed/out house as the parents were abandoned and are verry wild they have been living there for just over a year now dad has slowly come round but then whent all skitish again no idea y.

6. lucylocket35

lucylocket35 PetForums Member

We had a stray speyed a few months ago. Our local rescue centre lent us a cat trap to catch him. It took us about 3 or 4 nights of leaving our porch door open with the trap set with smelly food to catch him. Maybe if you have a word with a rescue place to see if they can help.

If you can catch your youngster by hand, my other half read a trick of getting them in a carrier, which we tried and it worked. Turn the carrier on its end so th door hole is facing upward. Pick the cat up so that its head is facing away from you (and the claws!). Put the cat in head first and close the door. Gently set the carrier down.

7. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Are her parents now spayed?

On reflection, as they're all still together a trap might not work- if you can catch one and it's not her it'll have probably freaked the untrapped cats out so they won't go near it in future.

I'm positive someone from your local CPL would be willing to help catch her and get her into a carrier in your home. I'm sure they'd consider it worth an hour or so of their time if it'll prevent yet another litter of kittens born.

I'd ask for some help; sounds like a two person job to catch her and shelters almost always have one or more people on board who are ace at catching/handling cats :)

8. shells

shells PetForums VIP

thank you all for the advice, i have spoken with my vet as they are really helpful. They have sugested that because she will now come in my kitchen to eat and will sit on the tumble untill someone goes near, to put the carrier on there with her food in it as aposed to the shed, give her a few days and she should be fine in it they have booked her in to be done so im going to do this so she will get used to it before hand. I will just be relieved when she is done.
    as for her parents only her dad is still here he used to come inside but dosent anymore i have no idea y?
    thanks again all xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice