Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Donating your body

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Waterlily, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Is anyone here an organ donar ? I am on my licence but apparently the family can still interfere and say no :rolleyes:
    Is it just me that thinks that once we are dead we should have no say as far as what happens to our body parts lol when it can save people instead of just been incinerated for the " respect" of the dead. ?
    If my boys ever needed a life saving op Id be devastated if they couldnt have it cos of the rights of the rotting lol.

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I am on the Organ list. They can take what they want off me, if it gives life to another couple of people and help others out at the same time, then what is more precious than that.:D
    There is only one thing they wont be taking off me and I will pm you that lololol

3. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Would it have any use left in it ? :confused: :p :D

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

i am on the organ donor list
    my loved ones know they (the doctors) can have whatever they want off of me

I would like it to become an opt out system, then those that care enough to take themselves off the list can do so
    but the majority of people wouldnt mind donating but just never got around to putting themselves on the register

5. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

I'm an organ donor and ticked to donate everything. Has anyone seen the Exhibitions going around like Bodies or Bodies World? They take in bodies and plastinate them to they don't decompose to teach people about the body. I would love to go see one, it looks amazing.

The Real Human Bodies Exhibit - YouTube

6. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I would prefer that as well, cos most wont even care less, they just cant be stuffed becoming a doner.

7. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Wont be long before the put it forward that EVERYONE will be on the Organ Donation List unless you OPT out, which is better. No one needs their organs, like people say ...we are healed when we are in heaven so we defo wont need them.

8. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

, my morbid mind loves this stuff :D

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I'm all for organ donation and have told the OH that they can have what they want once I'm gone.

However - how would you feel about your lungs going to a hardened smoker? Or your heart going to someone who has done drugs most of their lives? Or your liver to a raging alcoholic? George Best being a classic case of the later.

This is the only bit I would have an issue over (and I'm sure a load of you are about to flame me for it....) but I think there should at least be some control for the donating family over these things. They should be allowed to refuse to donate to the above categories if they know that their family member would not have permitted it.

Racial or religious factors, however, should absolutely NOT be discussed and no-one should be allowed to refuse organs on these grounds.

10. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

And why are worms and maggots more important to feed then saving a human life ? :eek: :D

can i say that on a pet forum ;) Lmao

#10 Waterlily, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  11. babycham2002

yes I went when it was at the o2, it was absolutely fantastic and if you do ever get the oppurtunity , go :)

12. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I would rather my lungs went to a crack addict who wanted to try again at life, then have them buried with me when I have no use for them.

13. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

The problem with both schemes is the problem which was mentioned in the first post - that the next of kin has the ultimate say.

At the moment, they say that having a donor card helps doctors to 'persuade' families that you wanted to donate your organs, and therefore they feel inclined to allow it, but really people need to talk to their families and tell them what they want.

I can't donate my organs due to health problems. I can't even donate blood. I've known this since I was little, so I've never really considered it - but I'd like to think I'd donate my organs if I could. They are very strict on who can - I understand in cases of contagious diseases such as HIV etc, but I don't have anything like that.

14. DT

DT Banned

I hear there is great demand for my brain:D
    but nope! haven't left nothing to no one!

15. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I would rather my lungs went to a teenager who's never had a chance to have a life than to some druggie who took their good health for granted and abused it. :)

16. babycham2002

17. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I find it a major slap in the face that the familys rights would come before the person wanting to save lives, its our body after all.

18. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

well of course ;) but whether you donate or not, we dont choose where it goes, and we cant play judge and jury over who's soul should live longer.

19. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

Aw that's a shame, will need to keep an eye out for when it's here - would be amazing!

20. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I would never want an organ replacement, but when im dead they can do what they want with my bits and bobs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice