Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Donating one per cent of wages to charity 'fair and right!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Nov 23, 2012.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Says Tory minister.:mad:
    What the hell will they come up with next?

"People should give one per cent of their salary to charity to give them a better sense of "responsibility", a Conservative minister has suggested.
    Nick Hurd, the charities minister, said he gives one per cent of his £98,740-a-year salary to charity and "so much could be done with that money" if everyone did the same.
    In an interview with Spear's Wealth Management Survey, he said that charitable donations ought to be "a social norm" and giving away one per cent seems "fair and right".
    Mr Hurd said the culture of giving in Britain ought to be more like the one in America, which gives 2.4 per cent of its national income to charity.
    "I give away 1 per cent of my income every year, which seems fair and right," he told the publication aimed at Britain's richest people.
    "I have a sense that [giving] is a social norm there, that if you’re one of the lucky ones, if you’ve been successful, there is an expectation that you give back and that you’re seen to give back.

2. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Never has there been a truer saying

Charity begins at home and thats were my wages will go and stay.

3. waggy Tailz

waggy Tailz PetForums Senior

Giving or not giving to charity is a personal choice, and if the government did a better job, there would be no need for so many charity's in the first place.

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Good for him on his £98,740 salary :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Must make him feel so good that he's only left with £97,000 :rolleyes:

#4 rona, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  5. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

This reminded me straight away of Luke 21:1

[21:1] As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. [2] He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. [3] "I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. [4] All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."

It's all very well for someone on 98 grand feeling self-righteous because he gives money to charity, but those of us who earn much less and still give what we can where we can - even if it amounts to less than 1% of our income - should not be made to feel we are doing any less than he is. He would miss 1% of 98 grand far less than I miss the money I regularly donate to my favourite charities.

#5 Spellweaver, Nov 23, 2012
  6. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

What i find worrying is, usually one of these morons comes up with an idea and before you know it, its in place. No doubt they will cover their backs by saying you can opt out. Well i'd rather have the choice to opt in.

7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

When I am earning a nice big £100k a year salary, I will HAPPILY donate 1% to charity.

However, until that day - when pigs fly, the statue of liberty sits on her ass & the sea wears rubber pants to keep its bottom dry - I will donate what I can to whom I wish!!! :mad:

8. Sussexplumber

Sussexplumber Banned

I think that`s 10%, not 1%.

9. lols82

lols82 PetForums Member

Maybe he should consider lowering the cost of living before coming up with things like this for people on normal incomes. Everything is so expensive now, even food; by the time I have paid all my bills, bought food and anything else we need I am left with nothing to save, it's a nightmare.

10. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

what world do these muppets live in?| not the same as most people.

11. Cromford

Cromford PetForums Senior

He seems confused as to his political convictions. Isn't this a form of wealth redistribution?

In light of who is proposing it I'll reconsider and classify it as someone testing reaction to a disguised form of taxation.

There's no conviction politics left anymore. They are all the same...simply intent on finding ways to screw more money out of Joe Public so they can go waste it on bureaucracy designed to justify their existence.

A plaque on all their houses.

12. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Your right. :eek:

I'm not well you know :( :(

Brains not working right!

13. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Told everyone ages ago this county was becoming Dictatorship it is slowly happening big time...How do we know it would actually go to charity anyway prob going to government big wig fat back pockets.

Nooooo way would i want to do this :mad::mad: if i can give to charity it will be my choice of who to.

And the reason they give is ''To give people better sense of "responsibility'' :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: oh, pleeeaaassssse

At least this new big wig ideas give us a giggle while they sit coming up with crazy new idea's for us peasants :001_tongue:

most people cant afford to save or put money away for themselves most of us are sick of working our arses off just to keep a roof over our heads pay the bills and eat.

This idea as just mad me more annoyed than i already was.

#13 snoopydo, Nov 23, 2012
  14. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Tight sod, could do at least 2% on that sort of salary.

Perhaps he would like to discuss the tax break he gets for this too

15. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

They can take it out the amount of tax I already pay on my wages :rolleyes: - what a flaming cheek! - bang out of order - donating to charity is a personal choice we make - SFA to do with the bloody government!!:mad:

16. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I do not believe there is any feasible way to lower the cost of living. Have you thought about ways in which it may be possible?

I think the biggest issue is the Jeremy Kyle culture we have in some areas, meaning our social housing situation is a complete mess. Benefit systems needs a shake up and we need more social housing and less private sector renting. Someone is always going to be losing out though, even if you restrict the amount of properties in a portfolio someone has, that's not fair because that is their job and their livelihood. Its very tough.

As for 1% to charity, it would never work because what is deemed a charity? Lets not forget I expect half the tories are chair people of these charities and probably take a small salary in some way or another :rolleyes:

17. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Thats a thought... The ''jeremy kyle culture'' The ones who can work but wont are we not ALREADY paying for these through our Taxes????? I

Is'nt that charity we are paying to them and the kids they churn out every year at no cost to themselves maybe they should take charity money off THEIR Benefits To let them pay abit back in to society (( and bless:rolleyes: them give them the sense of a little responsibility)) .....

It's Always us the ones who work as much as we can for little that gets stung.....

18. lols82

lols82 PetForums Member

Well that would be a job for the government not me, that's why they get the big bucks. All I know is I have 12 hour days out my home working, shattered by the end of the week and I am always skint as everything nowadays goes on my home, food etc, & that's another thing with the 'Jeremy Kyle culture'; half of these people living it up on benefits who obviously are able and fit to work, they seem better off than me sometimes - makes me mad :mad:

19. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

makes me livid too :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

20. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Not every thing should keep going back to people on benefits.:mad:
    Blame should be put at the door of this damn government.:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice