Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dominant puppy?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by murphy21, Apr 13, 2011.

1. murphy21

murphy21 PetForums Member

My husky x lab puppy us now 7 months oldish, he is pretty well behaved for quite a young dog. The only real question I have is when he meets new dogs; he is 100% friendly but puts his hackles up and is abit dominant (I think). He plays like a husky, so with my 1 yr old giant dog they play proper like boys :rolleyes: but I don't know whether he now expects everyone else to play like that? People are usually ok because he is so pretty but I feel guilty about it an don't want him to get in a fight with another dominant dog. Would castration help this?

Also he's about 21imchs at the mo, do you think he'll grow anymore?

Here's a pic of him and a flatboat puppy I dog sit :)

[​IMG]

2. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

He's a lovely looking boy :)

I would castrate him if he were mine. There's a lot of dog there...and anything that "may" lessen any dominant manly behaviour can surely only be a good thing. He's of the age now where all his teenage hormones are operating on overdrive.

He'll only generate so much "understanding" from other owners before people start to get pee'd off with him acting a bit too roughly with their pets. Good looks won't help him then.

3. murphy21

murphy21 PetForums Member

He is a rescue puppy so could well be fear, I don't think it's aggression as he's never gone for any other dog. I am seriously considering neutering but he doesn't hump anyone/thing so at the moment I'd want to put it off, but I would if it is best.

4. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

It's not so much the possible humping issue for me...If he's around an area where there are a lot of dogs, chances are there will be a bitch coming into season every so often. That can be a really stressful time for some entire dogs and they can really start to test you when they become desperate to get their leg over :D

5. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Our pup used to have his hackles up with the odd meet and I believe it was sometimes due to excitement and other times he was a bit timid. Since he's got older and being back on lead to meet dogs we don't see this anymore. Ours is a staffie so he likes to play a bit rough and tumble too but you need to teach them that it's not ok for every dog as not all dogs will want to play in this way. If another dog doesn't want to play does he accept this or will he be a bit insistent (which would be understandable for his age)? I would get him neutered, not for these issues but it prevents any 'accidents' happening.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice