Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dominant one??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Rebelneck, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Rebelneck

Rebelneck PetForums Member

Do those of you with two or more cat cats have one who is more dominant?

Ours seems to be Loki who is almost 4.5 months old - Henry is almost 1

They play, groom each other and get on very well but I was just wondering if when I get Loki neutered will he lose some of his dominance?

It isn't a lot of dominance - he does like to be on my knee first etc and Henry is more of a lying along my legs cat

I hope you get what I'm trying to say

2. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

Polly is the dominant one here, she will always have the final word over the other 2, what she says goes. Whisper is dominant over Beanie though, poor Beanie just has to do as he's told by both of them. I feel a bit sorry for him sometimes as he has to fight for his place.

3. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Molly is the dominant one here, though Manny isn't afraid to wind her up, in fact he does it on a daily basis :D

4. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I sadly now have 2 dominants who won't give in to each other - which is why they fight so much :(

They used to be OK - Archie was dominant and Mia just had to put up with it

Then he got pretty badly hurt in a fight (with another cat in the street) and it took him several weeks to lick his wounds and get his confidence back - he didn't go outside for months

Meantime, Mia had obviously been out & about & did what she wanted / went where she wanted etc (incl sleeping upstairs which was always Archie's domain)

Then Archie got better .... and wanted to be dominant again ..... but Mia won't back down

3+ years down the line and it's not easy - they have squabbles a lot and generally have 1 or 2 massive fights a year when I then have to separate them ..... one of these unfortunately happened on Tuesday :(

5. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I had a similar situation with Steffie and Tuppence.
    In their old home, Tuppence was the dominant one, but she didn't settle in with us as quickly as Steffie, so Steffie took over as top cat. When Tuppence finally felt truly at home, the competition over dominance began, and it remained undecided for the rest of their lives. They did not fight much, but they would order each other away from their favourite sleeping places and vantage points.

I have had a few true leaders, the last of which was Spetter. He was the smallest, but lorded it over the entire neighbourhood. And without fighting, every cat accepted his dominance without question, even though he was a diminutive cat. We called him the Italian Stallion, because he used to walk with this confident, macho swagger....

When he died, there was a power vacuum in the entire neighbourhood, an d fights broke out. But it looks like we finally have a new leader emerging: little Connor MacLeod. Even Punky, the big NFC cross from 5 houses on, backs down in a confrontation with him.

6. Rebelneck

Rebelneck PetForums Member

Yes. Our little one has a bit of a swagger. We say it is from him being on the streets before being rescued. He has his reputation to uphold lol

7. ljs85

ljs85 PetForums VIP

My 4 month old kitten is def going to end up as "Top Cat" :D he chases the other two and growls when they goes near his food (thankfully not so much with his toys now)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice