Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dominance?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by fluffybunny2001, Mar 2, 2008.

1. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

I have a 2 1/2 year old american cocker boy.Of late there have been a few issues with him barking in an aggressive way at people
    He is part albino so his eyesight is pretty rubbish and i`ve often wondered if he barks ecause he is unsure of what he is seeing.He will bark at objects in the park if they haven`t been there before,like traffic cones or rubbish.
    To a young child his barking is very scary,although he`s never actually gone for a person,this behaviour is starting to worry me.He always barks whilst walking backwards from what ever it is he`s barking at
    He is till entire and i would like to solve this without going down the castration route.
    Also at home if someone walks past the house he barks and growls.
    He was involved in a nasty dog fight a few weeks back with a boxer x.That was a dominance thing,2 entire males,(my dog started it)He seems mre wary around other dogs now.But i don`t know what to do about his barking at children mostley it seems,he wasn`t brought up around children,and somedys he`s fine,lets children fuss him and play with him,but other days he barks at them.any ideas?

2. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Im not a vet or a breeder but it could be due to not seeing very well and its making him nervous not sure what the solution to that would be other than trying to reasure him that your the boss and he doesnt need to get wound up over these things , or have you considered the likely hood of rage syndrome again no expert but its prone to the spaniel breed most commonly cockers , Not sure how it devellops or at what age its detectable but it could be something to maybe research on the net . Where i walk our dogs we see lots of cockers and its funny the ones you know are friendly and the ones that walk round like grumpy old men snapping at other dogs and generally behaving like they have bad hangovers. Aparently its more common in the solid coloured ones too the roans dont tend to suffer with it .
    Andrea

3. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

It`s definatley not rage syndrome,it would have strated much earlier.I think the combiination of bad sight and the fact he`s getting to that akward 2-3 yr old thing.
    also i live away from home now and only come back twice a month,it always seems to be when i come back he plays up.I guess it`s unsettleing him.
    I worked at the kennel his was bred at for 9 years so know his generations right back,and none of his relatives had agression issues,
    with all the problems with dogs in the news at the moment i`m starting to feel uneasy with him when put an about

4. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Bless him !! hard to say then dificult situation your obviously in ,My son used to play up when i came home from work when he was about 2 yrs old i guess kids and dogs are similar in that way , almost like saying " oh right your back im gonna play up to get your attention cos you,ve been away " .
    Andrea

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice