Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dominance and aggression in female Springer

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by c9mell, Jul 21, 2017.

1. c9mell

c9mell PetForums Newbie

we have a 2 1/2 year old female springer who is displaying dominance and aggression towards our other 2 female dogs one a 9 yr old jack Russell and a 10 month female lab. we have had to rehomr the jack Russell because the agression ended in fights but the Springer is now displaying dominance over the lab. at the moment it is just growling at food times and the lab capitulates however I would like to defuse this behaviour before it gets any worse. any ideas or suggestions are welcome

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

How or why do you think she is being "dominant"?

Most food related aggression between dogs can easily be managed by being careful; eg feeding them all separately, all of the time.

Lurcherlad and LinznMilly like this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

You havent given a lot of details but from what you have said It could be resource guarding .

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. c9mell

c9mell PetForums Newbie

the Springer postures by staring at the other dog, tail up and growls usually happens at feeding time but also around the bed area. when we had the jack Russell she would also stand her ground and unfortunately this ended in a full blown fight hence the need to move her out of the situation altogether. what I really want is some advice on how to stop it before it starts

5. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

It definitely sounds like resource guarding. Have a look on YouTube for Kikopup and Victoria Stilwell videos and articles. They will give you the tools to stop the guarding.

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Do you train your dogs?

I took on my late sister's 6 yr old collie 4 years ago now knowing she had a lot of issues including bullying her other dogs. I had 3 collies of my own including one of around the same age. They are both strong characters and don't like each other but I simply won't allow toy snatching, growling around food bowls etc here. Any staring or posturing is quickly defused by me and they are told to lie down. All my dogs sleep in the kitchen and are walked and fed together and there isn't a problem but they are trained dogs. One word from me and they do as they are told. Training makes a huge difference.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Remove the triggers.

Feed in separate rooms. Don't leave food, treats or toys lying around.

Separate their beds.

Use baby gates for management.

Don't leave them alone together.

Look at Kikopup and positively.com for some training tips.

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice