Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dolly's Progress and advice on spaying please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by curluscat, Jun 27, 2009.

1. curluscat

curluscat PetForums Junior

Hi, Well Dolly's slow recovery from her hip replacement op continues. It's been a much better week and other than her boredom and desire to go for a 20 mile run (lol) she's OK. The hobble comes off on Wednesday then it's another week of total rest, after that we start with 3 five minute walks on the first day, increasing them by 2 minutes each subsequent day. We're getting through it.

Now to my queries, Dolly began her 1st season on 14th April so should be spayed around mid July? I wonder if the vet will think it sensible for it to be done then in view of her recent major op? What is the reason for the spaying to be carried out halfway between he 1st and 2nd season. Ideally I'd like to get it done some time in August when she's a bit stronger, do you think that's possible? We have a holiday booked mid September (with Dolly) and her 2nd season could coincide with that which we really don't want!

What are your thoughts? Obviously I'll have a word with the vet at our next appointment anyway. If it's not advisable for the spaying to be done before her 2nd season, can she be given anything that could delay the season until we get back from holiday?

Sorry it's a bit complicated, hope I made the situation undersandable!

Thanks

Dolly's Mum

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Bless her she has done very well by the sounds of things, i can imagine how bored she is and raring to go, as she can only go a short distance and you will be building it up, so to vary it so she isnt bored with the same walk, i had to do this with one of my dogs after a major heart attack, so he only got the excercise reccommended i took him in the car to different places let him out for the time he was allowed but he was having a varied walk different smells to sniff at and different sights.

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

There is a very good reason for spaying midway between seasons. For a couple of months after the season the uterus is still active (basically a bitches cycle includes pregnancy whether or not she is in fact pregnant and whether or not she has an obvious false pregnancy) She will then be completely out of oestrus for a while before the uterus becoming active again in preperation for the next season. When active the blood vessels are larger and there is more chance of bleeding during the operation therefore it is safest midway between the seasons when everything is inactive.
    Hope that helps you.

4. curluscat

Thanks for the replies. I've spoken to the vet and he is quite happy for Dolly to be spayed during this hip op recovery period. She'll be admitted 8.55 Monday 6th July and hopefully I'll be able to collect her later that day.

I'm so pleased it's worked out like this, at least now Dolly will be able to recover from both ops at the same time and by the time she goes on her jollies in September all should be sorted.

We're having a 'horrible hobble' removal ceremony this evening - I'm sure my girl's really looking forward to that!

Dolly's Mum

5. rona

rona Guest

Best of luck hope she doesn't try and do too much

6. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

I've not logged on for a week or more, and did so this evening to check if there was an update on Molly - SO Pleased she is recovering well and the horrible hobble is going going gone!

Take is easy on the walks, if she is anything like Chance she will be charging round the house and all excited when the lead comes out. This is when I realise I have her well trained as I give her 'that look' and she sits and shakes in anticipation of the walk (10 minutes at most!) that we are about to go on!

Good luck for the 6th July...

7. curluscat

Thanks for the replies. Dolly looked so grateful when the 'orrible 'obble was cut off, I'm saving it to show her when she's a big girl lol!

She's still got a week to go before we are allowed even the shortest walk and by then she'll be recovering from her spaying op and probably won't feel like bouncing around too much which is all good stuff in terms of the hip healing.

Thanks for the support as always and I'll post again next week.

Dolly's Mum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice