Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doing the toilet outside

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Amin, May 19, 2010.

1. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

So Our mc Indie is used to Our big Garden now, He comes and goes as he pleases - weather permitting, I would like him to start doing the toilet down the garden, There is plenty room under Big bushy trees etc. He spends a lot of time in the garden especially if we are there having a drink or barbie on a nice day, But he comes in to his litter tray and then back out again.

Is there any Way we can encourage him to do the toilet outside or will this come with time, or not. He,s still not 6 month yet and doesn't venture anywhere else.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

He is still young and I would say it is probably a security thing for him to come back in to use the toilet only to then dash out again. I would bet that over time he will be confident enough to do his business outside.

On the plus side, if he continues doing his business inside then you will soon know when something is wrong (either with poop or wee).

3. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Yes I Guess he is still quite young, He is also Startled / frightened of certain things like sudden noises or window cleaners ladders, where upon hearing them open, He,s off back inside, Then a wee while later when All is quiet again he,s out.

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

My cat uses the Big Toliet most of the time. But i also always keep a fresh litter tray in the usual place for her. As sometimes she likes to do her business in private! If there are to many people/animals around she will shoot indoors to do her bizzies!!

I also keep her in over night, when i am out of the house, and in bad weather so having a tray is a must in my house!

Your kitten is beautiful if thats him in the avatar!! Bless!!

5. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Thanks, Sadly No That was Ollie, Run over at 6 months. Yes he was Beautiful, Wife and I were devastated, He wanted out out out. We have now moved house and have Indie. Thanks. Keep meaning to change that pic, But we have very little of him, Suppose I will have to do it sometime, And the Lassie in the pic That's my Wife's best Pal.!!!

Attached Files:

6. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Oh i am so so sorry :frown:

Very very gorgeous MC you have :001_wub: He looks like the king of the castle!!! :lol:

7. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

O He is, But a Big Softie really. Great fun he is Tho. Ta.:thumbup:

8. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

He looks like a softie!! A big cuddle monster! :lol:

9. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Yep he,s that too. Just had a look at your cat. Stunning Cat, Lovely :)

10. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I think i could easily steal him :lol: :lol:

Yes she is! And she knows it!! She is a purebred Moggie LOL!!! Born in my bedroom October 2008! A special girlie!

11. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

a suggestion.
    while keeping a litter tray indoors for the time being, try putting some used litter on the garden where you would preferably like him to go. i did this when i first had my run put up. although i still have trays indoors i find that of my wegies nellie and my bsh dusti use the garden now. in fact nellie wont use the trays at all.
    when eventually you want to get ride the tray, just try very gradually edging it towards the door and out into the garden

12. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Thank You. Will give That a go.

13. Loulabella1

Loulabella1 PetForums Junior

Mine now both use the garden 99.9% of the time, they have 24 hr access to a clean tray as I shut them in at night, but rarely use it, however had one instance of upset tummy and was sooooo glad she had a tray to use.

I'm not sure what made them start going outside, I did put some litter down where I would like them to go (in an ideal world, I know they will probably choose the most inconvenient flower bed), but I can't say if the litter helped or if it was instinct. I'm lucky that they use my garden as I would prefer that to annoying my neighbours, but again that is nothing I've done and I'm sure in time they might go further afield.

As others have suggested putting soiled litter outside where you would like them to go can only help, also mine absolutely love freshly dug over soil so that might help encourage it as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice