Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

doing a canine behaviour and training course advice needed please if anyone can help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Delta2012, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Delta2012

Delta2012 PetForums Junior

Hi I am doing the compass education canine behaviour and training course but i am a little stuck on one question have managed to part answer it but stuck for the second example if anyone has any suggestions please help thanks in advance .

The question is give two examples (not already given) of things that might affect the behaviour of a puppy before it is born . the examples already given are the diet of the mother , position of the puppy in the womb , whether born first or last and i have answered with stress and it causing higher levels of cortisol , if anyone can suggest would greatly appreciate it thanks again in advance

2. hippymama

hippymama PetForums Senior

would the temprament of its mother and father count , breed ? as in nervous parents could possibly produce nervous offspring etc

3. Lizz1155

Lizz1155 PetForums VIP

Surely "genetics" impact hugely on the behaviour of the puppy before it is born? However maybe they're just looking for environmental factors...

4. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

I would suggest maybe the temperament of the mother. High stress levels during pregnancy could affect the pups.

5. Hopeattheendofthetunnel

Hopeattheendofthetunnel PetForums VIP

There were some studies ( in the late 90's perhaps? ) who examined whether a litter consisting of significantly more males than females would result subsequently in the males behaving more "feminine". And vice versa , i.e. if a female from a mostly male litter would behave more like a dog than a bitch.

The notion underpinning it was that exposure to higher levels of oestrogen or testosterone in the womb would masculinize the female brain ( and behaviour) and feminize male dogs. If memory serves, it was an extension of prior studies done on Holstein cattle which found that a cow carrying twins ( one male, one female) the female displayed predominantly male behaviours.

Can't recall what the conclusions were on dogs. But if you google something like "prenatal brain masculinisation" Or "prenatal testosterone exposure" you'll likely find it.

Good luck on your test

6. Delta2012

Delta2012 PetForums Junior

Hi thanks for all the replies so far it has been a big help , part off my module project is to do with testosterone and how a bitch would be affected into adulthood physically and behaviourally if she recieved too much testosterone and the same for a male if he did not recieve enough testosterone . I really am grateful for all the replies so far , it a very interesting course but they dnt always make the answers easy to come to although i didnt think off the obvious and think about the tempermant of parents but it not really clear if they after environmental influences or not may be worth checking with tutor before i start to answer thanks again guys

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice