Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dogue de bordeaux

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by nathansevers, Apr 24, 2011.

1. nathansevers

nathansevers PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm new on this site ,but just asking for a bit of advice , I've just bought a 4month old dogue de Bordeaux which I've had for 2 weeks he is learning well and has made himself part of the family quite easy ,however I have been told that many different things about what I should be feeding him ,the breeder I got him off told me but after talking to other owners there diet differs by quite a large margin ,I don't want to over feed or under feed him any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. vicki.burns

vicki.burns PetForums Senior

My pup (not the same breed) is currently on the pedigree puppy mixer and butchers wet food, he is fed to the guidelines on the pack, just remember when you're looking at those quidelines they are based on the weight that the dog will be when he is an adult :)

Hope this helps you a little bit?

3. Hi and welcome to the forum.

How much you feed your puppy really depends on what you are feeding him. For example If you are feeding a high quality food then the quantity of the food is reduced as they are getting more nutrition than from a low quality food. The guide on the packet is simply that...just a guide and quite often is more than the dog needs.

What I did was go with the guide for a bit and divided that into 4 meals. I then was looking to see if the puppy was eating it all and still looking hungry, leaving food because there is too much etc and kept an eye on the weight of the pup to make sure they weren't losing or putting on to much weight. I always worried my rottie Holly looked too thin as a pup but my Vet reassured me she was a good weight and that pups are best on the lean side whilst growing so that they don't have problems in later life. You should be able to feel the ribs but not see them was what I was told and so realised then we were feeding correctly.

#3 My lil Babies, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2011
  4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

You want to be feeding him a food with as much meat in as possible. If you look at the ingredients list meat should be the first on the list.

Supermarket foods are generally not great foods because they are full of fillers and e numbers etc. You need to feed much less of a good quality food because they can digest more of it rather than it going straight out the other end.

There are plenty of good foods around, both dry kibble and wet foods, and there are heaps of threads here which list good foods. Some people also feed raw, but I don't know much about that.

Follow the guidelines on the food packet, but you may need to give more or less depending on your pup. At 4 months I'd be feeding 3 meals a day.

If you do change food, make sure you do it gradually by mixing a little more of the new food over a week to avoid tummy upsets.

Good luck :)

5. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Theres plenty of decent foods about. Rule of thumb is if you can buy it in a supermarket, ie pedigree, iams, wagg. Harringtons etc - then it's pants.

There are a few exceptions, mainly waitrose selling Arden Grange.

If you want a wet food, good ones are wainwrights (pets at homes own brand), natures menu, natures harvest, nature diet, Arden grange partners. All of those besides the Arden grange are available at pets at home.

If it's dry food your after I’d recommend Simpsons, wainwrights, Arden grange, fish4dogs, orijen, arcana, taste of the wild, I usually recommend skinners too but the first ingredient in their large bite is wheat - so I'd stay away.

With any of the above, combined or on their own and you won't go far wrong.

6. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

PS? Pics of the new addition please!!!!

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

All of the above.

If he's not on a terrible good quality food, then I would look to change to something better. Very slowly

If he's already on a decent food, then leave him as he is and enjoy him:D

I fell into the trap of trying too hard to get the best for my pup and ended up right back where we started. Unfortunately there is no guarantee that what you feel is the best food will suit your pup:rolleyes:

Have fun with your lovely lad and dont forget to share the piccies :D

8. nathansevers

Hi, thanks to everyone who replied, it was a great help. I decided to upgrade to a better quality dry food 3 times a day mixed with raw steak and he seems to be living it.
    P.s.there are some pics up but will put more of him (Diesal) up soon. Thanks again

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

That's great you've improved the quality of his kibble, but raw food should never be fed with cooked food - raw food digests in as little as 4 hours whereas kibble can take upto 16 hours or more - this causes the raw food to be left sitting in the gut longer than needed, which gives harmful bacteria a chance to breed, resulting in dicky tums.

There is no problem with feeding a mixture of raw and kibble (I do it) but make sure they are on different days, or at the very least, at opposite ends of the day.

10. nathansevers

Hi and thanks I had no idea that by me feeding him like that it would have caused him stomach upset ,so from tomorow I will start feeding him dry and raw on alternative days,thanks again a great help.

11. blueturbo70

blueturbo70 PetForums Newbie

I have been told and read that the foods sold in most supermarkets are of very poor quality meat and to stay away from them you need to get a descent brand like royal canin and I mix it with some beef mince.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice