Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogue de Bordeaux debate

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by littleangel01, Jan 22, 2012.

1. littleangel01

littleangel01 PetForums VIP

hi all

just wondering if any one can settle something between me and my mate.

i would love a Dogue de Bordeaux puppy (or even a rescue) when talking about ths to a friend i said that i would have to wait untill i can move as i cant have one in the flat. she disagrees and thinks i can.

her arguement was that they are not that active indoors so aslong as we spent time outside (which i do with lexi anyway) then its not a problem.

however i have heard that they cant go up stairs (there is a lift but i dont use it often) and that i have been told they like to lie about out side.

so anyone know? thoughts ect :D

2. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

It's not good to have any puppy go up and downstairs especially a large breed. As far as an adult dog is concerned, I allow mine to go up to the first floor, there isn't a great problem in that once they've grown. Depends how many floors up you are and how functional the lift is long term.

3. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

The going up and down the stairs a lot would be an issue with a puppy but if your lift is reliable or you got an adult then I see no reason why you couldn't have one in a flat.

4. littleangel01

was hopeing to say haha i win but looks like i cant :(:D

the lift works fine one or two brake downs but not many and i live on the first floor.

altho now i want one even more lol im getting a very long list :D

5. DoggieBag

DoggieBag PetForums VIP

Saying this as someone who has not had a large dog, but just give some thought to how you would get it downstairs if the lift was broken if say it was all limb and needed to get to the vet quickly.

To be fair it would have to be an extremely bad day for both the lift to be broken and your dog to get ill :) but could happen.

6. lindsay and diesel

lindsay and diesel PetForums Newbie

HI there, I have a douge De Bourdeaux and to be fair my boy does love to lounge about all day, they are not the most energentic dogs in the world, he tends to get excited, run about a bit then sleeps all day - I think he would be fine in a flat as long as he gets to go outside a fair few times a day. but yes you are right they should not climb stairs because of their hips. I find my douge half way up the stairs all the time, I now have a stair gate on which he hates because now he cant come in to my bedroom at 2am, lie down and snore all night !!!!! x x x oh yes be prepaired for the snoring!! its really is VERY loud LOL x

7. littleangel01

thanks everyone me and my friend have called it a draw :D

altho i would love one im still researching dog breeds at the moment and im not sure i could afford one anyway as pups for sale in my area seem to be over the £600 mark not sure if thats just here are thats how much pups are worth :confused:

thanks for the answers tho x

8. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Mum lives with a lab type dog in a flat and he is old and arthritic and cannot do the stairs well at all but has to as too big to carry - its really hard work and worth thinking about with a big dog in a flat (and no lift, which you have got so a bit different)

9. Snoringbear

£600 is pretty much the low end of the scale. If I was buying another, I would be looking at around £1000 to £1500 tbh.

10. littleangel01

yes £650 was the lowest i have seen most are around £800-£1500 highest was £2000 and altho they are loverly living on my own and paying bills and saving for a house would mean i would have to save for several years :rolleyes: but never mind one day :D

11. Snoringbear

The donation for a rescue would be much lower and affordable. That would probably be the route to investigate, if your current living situation is not ideal for that, then your future one might.

12. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

To be fair you can pay £700 for boxers or labs so although alot of money it's not really when compared to other breeds. Only thing I found when looking you can also find labs, boxers for 200-300 through byb and endless amounts of private sellers, found the odd ddb through family pet litters but no where near the amount. I think I would have gone for a rescue if I was in different circumstances, was surprised how many come up on ddb welfare.

13. Snoringbear

OP I have checked with rescue, it is feasible with the right dog and an assessment of your circumstances, environment etc that you could have a rescue. You can contact them here Dogue De Bordeaux Welfare

14. littleangel01

oooooooo thanks will give them a try :D

15. DT

DT Banned

Any PUP should not be allowed to use stairs, and obviously the larger the breed the more important this is - I was not aware the DDB are any different?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice