UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, only joined this forum yesterday and now I feel I need real help!

Memphis woke me yesterday morning at 5am wimpering, I knew she wasn't well because this is most unusual for her. She went outside and brought up this frothy white sick, but after that she seemed okay and went back to bed.

Walkies as normal at 9am and then breakfast. Fine all day and walkies again at 2.30pm. This is when it all went wrong, after her walk she brought up her breakfast completely undigested. After that it was a downward spiral. She just kept being sick, she even brought up a tiny bit of water that she had drank.

We took her to the emergency vet, but of course as soon as we got her there she perked up tail wagging glad to see everyone! Anyway the vet gave her three injections, a pain killer, anti sickness and antibiotics. He asked if she had ever been sick before and I explained that sometimes she had been sick in the night, but I had mentioned this to my usual vet and she had said dogs are sick sometimes! The emergency vet told us it may be Pancreatitis and to ask for a blood test. He has told us to let her rest today and to take her to our vets tomorrow, unless she is sick again today and then to return her to the emergency vets (bank holiday!).

So far she has not been sick today, but she will not touch any food which is so unlike her. Now I am worried sick, I have had a quick look on the internet and I have convinced myself there is no hope. To be quite honest I know this is serious, because she just does not get ill!!!.

It would really help if anyone else has a dog with Pancreatitis and could give me some advice on how they cope.

I will update when I have been to the vets tomorrow and see what words of wisdom they offer. In the meantime thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
TBH I am doubtful it is pancreatitis. Normally a dog with pancreatitis looks as though on deaths door and definitely wouldn't pick up when going to the vets. If the vet really suspected pancreatitis they would have kept her in.

With pancreatitis a low fat diet is necessary as the pancreas fails to release enough of the necessary enzymes needed to break down food, fatty food is the hardest to break down out of all the food groups.

There is a lot of sickness about the place at the minute, this is what I'd be inclined to think it was. Most important thing is to keep her drinking, syringe it if you have to and keep her diet bland until she starts to feel better, then once feeling better, keep her on a bland diet for a week longer. Boiled chicken and rice is the best thing

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tanya, thanks for the quick reply. I hope you are right. I have been giving her water through a syringe, she won't eat any food, not even chicken. I have never seen her without any energy before, she's just lying there!

I have read that it usually effects dogs who are given a fatty diet and are over weight, but she only weighs 22kgs and she has never been fed a fatty diet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi polly,

just thought i would post a reply as one of my dogs has suffered with pancreatitis last year and looks like it is flairing up again. Her symptoms started with heavy panting, sickness, lots of saliva, abdominal pain and loss of appetite and just like you when i took her to the vet she perked up and didnt appear too bad so the vet gave her some painkillers. As soon as i got her home she was panting like mad, which at the time i did not realise was a sign that she was in pain and distress. She could not settle and even though i phoned the vets, the receptionist said to wait and see if the painkillers worked but after another hour or so I phoned and insisted i bring her up. After having to leave her there to be put on a drip for a few days and blood tests to be taken she was in a bad way but came out ok. I was told she had suffered pancreatitis and was told that she must be kept on a low fat diet. Now I had fed both my dogs (two female english bull terriers) mainly on the barf diet and assumed that the high protein content in the beef, tripe etc had possibly caused the problem. I have since fed them both on a low fat dried foot diet (vitalin senior) and other low fat foods. unfortunately at the moment she now appears very lethargic, loss of appetite although eating fish and rice, no sickness, abdominal tenderness and just generally not herself so it looks like possibly the pancreatitis is coming back.

I have just joined this very helpful forum and wish i'd found it earlier. I hope this info may have been some help to you and if you have any other questions just ask?

thanks

jo

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jo. I really appreciate the advice. Actually I had almost forgotten about all the saliva. It's weird how your mind doesn't function properly when you start to panic!

I will be taking Memphis to the vets as soon as they open in the morning, or if she gets worse to the emergency vet today.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi I have re- started this thread here, silly me put it under general health by mistake!!

Hello, only joined this forum yesterday and now I feel I need real help!

Memphis woke me yesterday morning at 5am wimpering, I knew she wasn't well because this is most unusual for her. She went outside and brought up this frothy white sick, but after that she seemed okay and went back to bed.

Walkies as normal at 9am and then breakfast. Fine all day and walkies again at 2.30pm. This is when it all went wrong, after her walk she brought up her breakfast completely undigested. After that it was a downward spiral. She just kept being sick, she even brought up a tiny bit of water that she had drank.

We took her to the emergency vet, but of course as soon as we got her there she perked up tail wagging glad to see everyone! Anyway the vet gave her three injections, a pain killer, anti sickness and antibiotics. He asked if she had ever been sick before and I explained that sometimes she had been sick in the night, but I had mentioned this to my usual vet and she had said dogs are sick sometimes! The emergency vet told us it may be Pancreatitis and to ask for a blood test. He has told us to let her rest today and to take her to our vets tomorrow, unless she is sick again today and then to return her to the emergency vets (bank holiday!).

So far she has not been sick today, but she will not touch any food which is so unlike her. Now I am worried sick, I have had a quick look on the internet and I have convinced myself there is no hope. To be quite honest I know this is serious, because she just does not get ill!!!.

It would really help if anyone else has a dog with Pancreatitis and could give me some advice on how they cope.

I will update when I have been to the vets tomorrow and see what words of wisdom they offer. In the meantime thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Mavis is recovering from a bad attack of pacreatitis ... I thought at the time she was going to die ... But she has recovered ...there is a yahoo group called dogpancreatitis who may be able to give you lots of advice and support ... If she is still being sick do not give her any food ... The pancreas needs to rest then start with a very bland diet of brown rice and boiled chicken ... Mavis has lost about 5 kilos and the pancreatits damaged her liver which thankfully has repaired it's self

juliex

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Julie,thanks for the quick reply.

She is not accepting any food, which if she has got pancreatitis may turn out to be a good thing. I am giving her a little bit of water in her mouth from a syringe to keep her hydrated, but I will definately be taking her back to the vets in the morning.

Is Mavis on medication or do you control it with her diet?

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Julie,thanks for the quick reply.

She is not accepting any food, which if she has got pancreatitis may turn out to be a good thing. I am giving her a little bit of water in her mouth from a syringe to keep her hydrated, but I will definately be taking her back to the vets in the morning.

Is Mavis on medication or do you control it with her diet?
mavis was on antibiotics for about six week as her White blood cell count was high...She was also given a antacid medicine.. She on tablets for the liver as mavis went jaundice because of the damage caused to her liver by the pacreatitis
If it is pancreatits she will need a low fat diet probably for the rest of her life as apparently they are more prone to it happening again ... Mavis has no fat cottage cheese and a rice cake for breakfast then skinless boiled chicken with rice for lunch and supper ...Small meals are best....

I at one point had to sit on the floor and hand feed her as she felt so Ill She just slept all the time ..But they can get better it just takes time xx

juliex

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replys all appreciated.

Just got back from the vets, now I'm more confused. Vet has taken blood to check the liver and kidneys, results this afternoon. I have to give Memphis Zitac tablets and also Lactose powder. She is to be fed small bland meals, but as she is refusing all food, not sure how that is going to happen. I asked the vet why Memphis is not being starved if she has Pancreatitis and she told me they do not recommend this any more!

Anyway I can tell Memphis is in real pain, but the vet at this point does not seem to believe me. I just have a feeling the vet is wrong, but for now I will follow her advice.:confused1:

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Thanks for the replys all appreciated.

Just got back from the vets, now I'm more confused. Vet has taken blood to check the liver and kidneys, results this afternoon. I have to give Memphis Zitac tablets and also Lactose powder. She is to be fed small bland meals, but as she is refusing all food, not sure how that is going to happen. I asked the vet why Memphis is not being starved if she has Pancreatitis and she told me they do not recommend this any more!

Anyway I can tell Memphis is in real pain, but the vet at this point does not seem to believe me. I just have a feeling the vet is wrong, but for now I will follow her advice.:confused1:
My vet also did not tell me to starve Mavis...this bothered me...but as she was ill any how she would not eat...fingers crossed you get some good results this afternoon from the blood ... Mavis also had an ultrasound when she was ill ...Pancreatitis is very very painful..a few other signs of pancreatitis is if the dog is stretching a lot and walking about hunched up...also stools can be a greasy yellow colour...would she eat a little boiled egg white?? but don't give the yolk as this is high in fat

~Juliex

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Julie, I will try the egg white, but to be honest I don't think she will touch it. She has been arching her back and yesterday her tiny poo looked like it was covered in a shiny substance. Will let you know blood test results when I have them- thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blood tests have come back okay, but the vet has now decided to do a blood test for pancreatitis and do an ultra sound.

Memphis won't even take water now, she just brings it back up, so we are off to the vets now!

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Blood tests have come back okay, but the vet has now decided to do a blood test for pancreatitis and do an ultra sound.

Memphis won't even take water now, she just brings it back up, so we are off to the vets now!
Hope she is ok ... Just wondering if the vet might keep her in and put her on a drip...hope you get some result back then you can start and deal with the problem ... Let us know how you get on .. I have been thinking about her all day today x

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hope she is ok ... Just wondering if the vet might keep her in and put her on a drip...hope you get some result back then you can start and deal with the problem ... Let us know how you get on .. I have been thinking about her all day today x
Hi, ultra sound did not reveal anything, so I suppose that's a good sign, blood test will be back in a few days. But I have to give Memphis lots of tablets, goodness knows how when she won't eat or drink water!

She has got to take Tramadol(painkiller), Antepsin (tummy liner-I think) 2 hours before Zitac, Lipex(enzymes) and lactose solution!!! The vet has also said again I must get her to eat, but how, when I asked her this she didn't answer me. I have also been advised to purchase some prescription dog food(this will magically make her eat- NOT).

One bright point she has taken a liking to the lactose solution, so at least that's something. I have tried to drop a bit of boiled chicken in this, but she spat it out.

Anyway I will try to get her to take these tablets and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your support.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Hi, ultra sound did not reveal anything, so I suppose that's a good sign, blood test will be back in a few days. But I have to give Memphis lots of tablets, goodness knows how when she won't eat or drink water!

She has got to take Tramadol(painkiller), Antepsin (tummy liner-I think) 2 hours before Zitac, Lipex(enzymes) and lactose solution!!! The vet has also said again I must get her to eat, but how, when I asked her this she didn't answer me. I have also been advised to purchase some prescription dog food(this will magically make her eat- NOT).

One bright point she has taken a liking to the lactose solution, so at least that's something. I have tried to drop a bit of boiled chicken in this, but she spat it out.

Anyway I will try to get her to take these tablets and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your support.
When Mavis had her ultrasound this didn't show anything either...apparently they really have to kow what they are looking for:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

at least you have some meds for her ..hopefully she will feel a little more comfortable ..as for the tablets well..... the only way we managed with Mavis was Paddy held the mouth open and i popped them in ...even now she will not take them even though they are supposed to be highly palatable...give her a big hug from me..i understand how worried you must be

Juliex

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.