Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs with out an affix..

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Devil-Dogz, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

whats the general opinion on breeding from dogs not born into an affix?
    As wouldnt this mean the breeder doesnt hold an affix, and why wouldnt a serious breeder not be registered?

2. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

Maybe they are just getting into it and haven't thought it was that important yet. Especially with working lines. I've already picked my name but haven't done the paper work yet as typical of me I may change my mind after I think about it for awhile...

3. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I 2nd what jill says.. or maybe they dont like the idea of feeding the KC more money..

4. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

A serious breeder doesnt just not get round to doing it before having a litter - I can excuse it with the working bred dogs, but nice to have them registered with something!
    The thing is MOM them that are not registered breeders, would be breeding for no vaild reason, as surely them that are wanting to produce show puppies have no problems with the KC or wouldnt show at KC events, and would want their names on puppies bred by themselves. From a buying point of view I will only ever go to a registered breeder, to much can be hidden by them not registered/registering puppies..
    To me a non registered breeder would be your avarge breeder, breeding for a pet market - maybe I have that wrong, and as I dont support breeding soley for a pet market I wouldnt support that sort of breeder.

#4 Devil-Dogz, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  5. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Yep I agree with that.. I had chosen my name had it checked etc and everything was going to pay the fee and the yearly one.. But I didn't bother.. I decided I wasn't going to ever need it.. :) Id also looked into studs and spoke to stud owners about complimenting my bitch to be able to produce a good litter to go out and possibly show.. just to get started.. If I had carried on.. I would of i my mind needed the affix.. :)
    I see the affix so people can get to know your dogs when you are out campaigning.. People recognise your dogs.. :)

You know when I was looking for a pup.. I was advised to try this good breeder.. please dont ask who.. It was years ago and can't remember .,. But she was recommended by another breeder, with all the credentials, she didn't have a litter.. Anyway short is .the other breeder. She had two bitches both with litters and had only registered one.. I told her as I liked the pups if she would register the one I want then I would take it.. She said she wouldn't so off I toddled..

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Not really sure in what sense you mean registered. My dog has no affix we found his breeder on the KC website. She's a pet breeder not sure why she didn't have one she health tests and doesn't ask huge prices so not a money thing.

7. the KC assign a different name each year don't they- they all start with the same! cannot remember what it i like a when I found a weimy once with that affix then boxer, then a dally I thought it were a puppy farmer

Can someone remind me that name they use please

8. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

When my girl was born 2007 the KC given affix was Kenmilleven. Knowing what I know now, I would be very hesitant to buy from a non affixed breeder, even affixed breeders should be thoroughly checked too. There have been some very nice 'show' dogs come out of 'pet' breeding but I think that was more luck than judgement

I think as always, wether affixed or not, buyers should research till they cant researcch any more:)

9. Thats it! Ken Millan whatever - think they change it everty year to something like kenmillan

10. Only 1 of mine doesnt have an affix and his breeder was....well.....a byb. Just I didnt notice at first.

I would never have a litter without an affix because tbh I enjoy the idea of having my name on something I am proud of.:tongue_smilie:

11. pearltheplank

Is it always a variation of that?

12. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

i'm sure it changes each year but always starts with a "K" ???

13. GoldenShadow

Who gets a KC given affix then :confused:

14. pearltheplank

Still slightly confused though as not all un affixed dogs have the KC given one. Any ideas why?

15. GoldenShadow

This might sound stupid but where does an affix show, on a dog's KC papers? My dog doesn't have one at the start middle or end of his name just his name...

16. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

I got my affix to show with. I don't like the idea of people who don't bother to get an affix because it leaves an amount of uncertainty about the dog in question in a pedigree for instance. I wouldn't buy a dog from a breeder that didn't want their dogs distinguished from any other individual of the breed. Then again, for someone to get an affix purely to breed with, that wouldn't interest me either. I strongly feel that effort needs to be made prior to breeding dogs, be it show, work, or sport. People who don't bother with this, even trying to develop their broods into something more than just pets/puppy producers, really get on my nerves.

In the USA in order to be granted your affix, you must breed a number of registered litters (I think it is 5). So you can choose your affix and attach it to those initial litters, but it will only become yours after you meet the criteria. I personally enjoy being able to develop my show team under the affix that I have. If that happens to lead to breeding in the future, then I will be able to attach my affix to a litter that I will have put a lot of time and hard work into producing. I will be and am proud of my/my dog's accomplishments. Why would I not want any of the hard work and pride attributed to me? :)

You can opt into having the kennel club's affix of the year. One that comes to mind that I've seen in dobermann pedigrees is Kenmillfore. It always starts with Ken, I believe.

17. pearltheplank

If you have an affix, a puupy you bred will have the name at the front. If you buy in a dog, your kennel name will go at the end

18. GoldenShadow

How come some dogs get a KC affix then, can breeders choose kc affix, no affix or their own affix if they have one?

19. pearltheplank

Thats something I don't understand.

It appears some get given the KC one while others don't and I have seen some puppies registered by a breeder with a kennel name but they only registered half the litter with their affix, the other half had plain names

20. GoldenShadow

That's weird, I'm really curious now to know who gets a KC one and not. My dog hasn't got one and I'd rather him have none than a KC standard across the board one I think. He's just plain old 'Liberty King'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice