Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dogs who dont drink much

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by chianya, Apr 23, 2011.

1. chianya

chianya PetForums Senior

its hot hot hot and if your dog is like suki they hardly seem to drink at all in this weather. Tip fill up their bowl and place a few treats in it they will sure drink all the water just to get to it. Make sure its nothing that floats though lol

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Good idea providing it's not a big bowl of water, as gulping too much too quickly can be dangerous :) when it's warm I give mine frozen kongs to play with and ice cubes to crunch, and add a good amount of water to their dinners.

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

We dont get hot weather but my dogs seldom drink. It is up to them, they will drink if they are thirsty.

4. My rottie Holly won't drink much from her bowl unless she has just seen me fill it. I don't think she likes water which has stood around for a bit. Im thinking of getting a water fountain as Im sure she would drink more from running water

5. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

our german shepherd will only drink fresh water straight from the tap.
    if its been there for half the day he'll sit at the water bowl and then look at me or hubby and winge untill its been re filled with fresh!!

he don't drink much at all either.
    prob drinks more at night before going to bed.

6. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

We change the water throughout the day too, so it's nice and fresh. Our eldest pooch will drink more that way. Our last boy, who's sadly no longer with us, would jump up to the sink and drink from the tap :D

What would you put in it that wouldn't go soggy?

7. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

before we run the huskies we bait their water with sardines in oil to get them well hydrated:)

8. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

That's a good idea, I was thinking of something kind of on the lines of that (not a solid). Ours are quite particular and would probably refuse to drink if you added anything to it. I haven't tried ice cubes yet as one will probably be freaked out by them and the other will knock the bowl over trying to get them out!

9. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Bumbys been drinking a lot more since I got the cats a water fountain :lol:

He's a pom though so it wouldn't be as practical for a bigger dog I don't suppose? Maybe you can get giant ones like waterfalls :eek:

Em

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Kenzie loves crunching on ice cubes - maybe this is a way to get liquid into dogs too?

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I put biscuits in and Dixie dunks her head in to get them! Lol

When it's really hot I put some biscuits and water into an old ice cream tub and freeze it. They love it!
    Also the other day when it was really hot they had an ice cream :eek:

12. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:lol: Bumbys scared of ice cubes :lol: :rolleyes: xxxx

13. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh Bumby!!! :p:p:p

14. braemarblue

braemarblue PetForums Member

hi. we discovered one of my dogs unfortunately was forming bladder stones years ago and after an op and a lot of trial and error prescription food. i got a tip from a vet to always feed her with dry (prescription food) in water every day so we did and have had clear x rays ever since. also ice cubes a great idea and our younger dog jumps when he hears the ice cube dispenser going so there is always a race between the 2 of them to pick up any dropped cubes as the older one thinks she is missing out so its win win for her.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice