UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious. Does your dog co-exist happily with small furries? Would you risk a small furry with your existing dog?

We have Dexter (Morgan), the (not serial killing) pygmy hedgehog.

And until recently Agent Booth, the steppe lemming (goodbye Booth, you were the best little furry thing).

Scrabble came home at seven weeks and she never bothered with Booth, but seemed to think Dexter was a toy! We can now have Dex running out and about without Scrabble paying any attention - quite an impressive feat for a Border! But then ... there was the time Dex was on my lap, Scrabble charged onto me, sat down, and had a bum full of quills! Let me tell you, removing quills from your Border's bum whilst she gives the hedgehog the evil eye was not one of my finer moments - perhaps she has learned to give him a wide berth after that.

I certainly wouldn't think about acquiring e.g., rabbits, but we *may* think about another hedgehog in the future. Pictures of dogs and furries living happily together are appreciated :)

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I wouldn't trust Kilo as far as I could throw him with a small furry :eek:. That said, Mrs Tiggywinkle came into the garden the other night, Kilo investigated, got his nose prickled and kept his distance!

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Nope, not at all. I think Jessie could perhaps live with a small furry and resist the urge to kill it, but the boys definitely couldnt co-exist with even a cat. My Mum would love a rabbit but it's just not going to happen whilst the dogs are living there.

Previous dogs that I grew up with happily lived with a range of small furries but they were brought up with them from pups and never chased anything on a walk. My lot are a different kettle of fish and could never be trusted.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Our eldest boy has co-existed happily with rats and a house rabbit. He mostly just ignored the rats (if you discount the several hours barking at them when we got our first pair) and would interact nicely with the rabbit. They even shared a bed on occasion. Sadly no photos, it was all very cute!!

I wouldn't trust our other two as far as I could throw them with any small furries :eek:

·
Registered
23,248 Posts
Nope not with Hannah.:( The Chi's arent too bad and can ignore small furries but Hannah turns into an obssessive bark monster so the rats had to go and live in a back bedroom away from little Miss Barkyface!:rolleyes:
When I lose this current lot of rats (not long now as they have started developing tumors.:() then I dont think I will get more little pets. (the snakes are safe though....I dont think they move fast enough for the dogs to even realiese they are alive!!LOL:D).

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Rupert lived peacefully with 4 rats. I wouldn't have trusted him as far as I could throw him with them out of their cage and it took months for him to stop seeing them as his next meal even while in their cage but we got there. He used to get up on the couch to greet them every morning and every time we came in from a walk. One of them used to play chase with him and pull his beard, the other 3 ignored him. If I had them out of the cage though Rupe was locked in another room.

First time I saw Spencer he was lying in the guinea pig cage with them. Apparently he did that a lot.

·
Registered
819 Posts
We have two rabbits that April is ok with, although she does try to "play" with them as if they are puppies sometimes so she has to be supervised around them.

Although I don't know if they count as "small" furries....!

·
Super Moderator
29,635 Posts
We have 11 rats & 2 bunnies, the dogs ignore them & they ignore the dogs & they have occasional free range time (supervised obviously!) with the dogs around. Bob once tried to lick one of the rats through the bars of the cage & she bit his tongue:eek:

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
My oldest girl just loves to mummy things and at one point we used to have some russian hamsters and they were out exploring in the front room on the floor when Bunty rushed in,we thought she was going to eat them but she just laid on the floor and started licking them.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Some years ago we used to have a Blue Silver Fox (beautiful boy, we rescued him from a garden centre where he was kept in a cage the length of him!) - Mr. Blue and Jamie - Border Collie X (bless his heart). Mr. Blue used to live in the utility room and Jamie often used to go in and say 'hello' - unsupervised. However would never have trusted him out of the confines of the house

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have 5 rabbits just loose in my back garden, the dogs go out with them all the time and simply ignore them, apart from if the rabs are eating carrots...then the dogs sit with them and join in :p

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I've had greyhounds/lurchers living with rabbits, guinea pigs and hamsters all my life. Some could be trusted, not all. My last girl Maddy, was an angel. She wouldn't harm a hair on my rabbits heads.

Maddy with Islay and Jura by Niseag, on Flickr

Maddy with Islay and Jura by Niseag, on Flickr

One of my current girls, Lucy, could never ever be trusted. She ignores them in the run, but I know if they got loose they would be dead. End of!

Katy, my other girl, would chase, but just to play. If I have them sitting on my knee, she will come up and groom them for me, lick all over them. But if they were on the floor, she would try and get them to play.

Todd is fine with everything small and furry. He is too old to bother these days.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
We have two rabbits that April is ok with, although she does try to "play" with them as if they are puppies sometimes so she has to be supervised around them.

Although I don't know if they count as "small" furries....!

Your bunny is gorgeous, reminds me of my old boy (R.I.P)
Is he a German Lop?
I hope you dont mind me asking but what are his eyes like? My Charlie always had problems with one of his eyes and it always looked closed.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Im 99% sure that if my furries escaped then the dogs wouldnt harm them, however 99% isnt high enough for me to ever risk them out with the dogs, it wouldnt take much for one of the dogs to kill or seriously harm them and its not worth taking that risk.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Both my boys are fine around cats, Tummel is interested but only tries to engage in play, Dan would like to sniff but they can both leave cats alone when told. Both boys have also met chickens, quail and a pet rabbit, Dan didn't show anything other than a passing interest in all of them, Tummel has met chickens before and doesn't care for them but he is a bit too interested in the rabbit...however he did meet an escaped rabbit who came right upto him and had a good sniff which he was fine with(a bit bemused but fine).

The only other small animal Tummels met were my reptiles and he was very good around them :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Your bunny is gorgeous, reminds me of my old boy (R.I.P)
Is he a German Lop?
I hope you dont mind me asking but what are his eyes like? My Charlie always had problems with one of his eyes and it always looked closed.
I'm not exactly sure... they're my mums rabbits really. I get confused between all the different types of lops! Sometimes their eyes look a little "gooey" but they've never really had any real problems with them :) They're both about 5 years old now.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Rio lives quite happily with lots of furries! :D

I have a group of rats that were here before she arrived so from the get go she was used to seeing them about. One actually escaped from the cage a few months back, she caught it gently in her mouth and dropped him into my lap before I realized he was missing :eek:

I have a ferret called Toki that shes terrified of since Toki nipped her toes.

And everyone knows how much she loves Ike the cat ;)

I had a couple of hamsters for a while too but they've sadly past on. I'm very grateful that Rio is so furry friendly, it means I can take in lots of needy animals. :)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Catz- Lovely photos
Thank you! That's Loki and Eli in the photo, they're over the rainbow bridge now but were the only rats that would pose for me :rolleyes:

Eli (white) was a faded black roan and Loki was a black hooded. I would definitely recommend rats to anyone thinking of adding a furry to the family. They are super intelligent, clean and affectionate little creatures with buckets of personality :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.