Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs Trust

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SophieCyde, Apr 3, 2011.

1. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

It was the dogs truust fair yesterday and we went (obviously) but it just breaks my heart to see all the dogs , there was a staffie called tara who looked so sad to be in the kennel and I just wanted to hug her , if I lived by myself I think I would of rehomed them all :(

2. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Arw, I know :( One of our dogs was extremely stressed in a kennel environment. I remember going to another local rescue and the women wore ear protectors, god knows how the poor dogs coped. Do you volunteer to walk the dogs at Dogs Trust? Might make you feel a bit better helping out :) It's a very rewarding thing to do.

3. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I sponsor a dog for Bumble every year from the d/g just because I think he'd like another dog to be loved as much as he is. Daft, I know :eek:

Think the o/p is a lovely idea :)

Em
    xx

4. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

It's always difficult in rescues. I was looking at Kelly Dunbar's (Dr Ian Dunbar's wife) rescue shelter (link below) and think they have a great idea/setup, that I wish more would adopt.

Open Paw - building lifelong positive relationships with pets

Some dogs are just so stressed in kennel environments, and there are just not enough staff/volunteers to work with each dog and give them the mental stimulation they need. Maintenance is the only option in many cases, with the hope that the behaviours will be workable when (and if) the dog gets rehomed.

5. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

I am going to next year (you have to be 16) but I sponser a dog rom there and once did a sponsered bike ride for them too :)

Well done for getting a rescue by the way , sometimes I wish we had, even though I wouldnt change murphy for the world :p

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I think I saw you and Murphy there ... I was the one with the Ridgeback wearing his headcollar due to there being soooo many cakes etc at head height and so much else going on ;)

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I'd hate to look and not be able to offer a home. :(

One of my neighbours took a Staffy from rescue kennels just before Xmas, she would even eat as she was so distressed. So nice to see her now going over the park with her ball chukka, looking all well fed and happy - she was skin and bone when I first saw her.

8. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

NoSpecialFeaturesHere PetForums Senior

Bless your heart for caring.

I worked in a shelter for a few years. I loved being there for all those unwanted souls. I had to quit because I took on one of the dogs, and he needed more of my time than I could give to him if I'd stayed working full time there. He couldn't cope with kennel life and got stressed like you guys are talking about, to the point of self-mutilation and losing his marbles, poor boy. Nobody else would have him, and I couldn't watch him suffering like that anymore. So home with me he came.

Even though I've had him for four years now, he's still overreactive and aggressive to strangers. He doesn't self mutilate anymore and he's living the life of Riley... but he'll never be a normal dog again. All because his owners couldn't be bothered with him anymore. Makes me sick. But anyway, I consider him an extremely lucky boy, and he's living the best life he could have wished for. :)

The people in shelters try their best, but it's no environment for any dog to be in. Every dog deserves a loving home. Poor things.

Anyone who helps, by walking the dogs, visiting and helping out, making donations etc., you have no idea how much it means to the shelter animals. They need all the help, the time and the love that they can get.

9. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

We have two from Dogs Trust, it's odd but it's very addictive (wish we had room for more) and the people there are just fantastic! Good for you! :thumbup: I hope to volunteer there when we next move, as we'll be closer to the centre :)

10. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

oh yes I think I saw you murphy was trying to get involved with everyone :D small world :p

11. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

I found a dog on the pages of my local DT (Evesham) who is the absolute spitting image of my Jasper, same age and from the description, same personality. I was so tempted to go and sweep him away but it is just not financially viable for me at the moment. I check in every couple of weeks to see if he is still there and it breaks my heart to see him each time.

12. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

We do that too, it's really nice to see a 'rehomed' sign on their picture. There was a dog we were going to adopt, a little patterdale, he'd been in the centre for 3 years :( But we weren't right for him. But when we adopted our second pooch, a year and half later, he was being adopted on the same day, it was lovely and the bloke seemed very nice, I almost cried with joy :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice