UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

My previous dog was a Cavalier and she didn't receive any training, no training classes, wasn't even taught to sit until she was around 8 years old when I taught her (i was too young when she first came along). But she did not pull on the lead, when she was off lead, she would walk behind you and keep close, she was brilliant with children, submissive to other dogs, never barked, liked cats and other animals. We never had a single issue with her.

Do some dogs never need to be trained and are just programmed to be well behaved and want to follow commands? Are there some breeds where they are more likely to respond to you than others and not need a great deal of training to make them well behaved, like cavaliers for example? I've always known cavaliers to be extremely well behaved and not need a great deal of training to be well behaved.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Nelson was a poodle terrier cross, and I was only 13 when I got him and my family was uninvolved... and I knew very little about dogs and training, and he was the most obedient dog ever.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
I belive if the dog is going to be well manored it will be. Take blaze for example he hasnt had any training class, he is brilliant with othr dogs/cats small aniamls and also walks off lad right by your leg even if he sees another dog he wont go near it if you say leave he just stays with you. He is brilliant around children too

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Depends on what you class as training.

Your dog may not have had any formal structured trainign but there must have been some explanation of how things work for it to do what you described.

A Disney film dog needs no training (or so they would have you believe on screen) and that's about all I can think of.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
Cavalier run away from her owners yesterday to see us, we were quite far away and she turned a deaf ear to their calls!
Sweet little thing, she was tiny, a black and tan called Ruby.
I think I would agree that some dogs require less training to be easy to live with. That they are more happy to just be by your side.

That said I think all dogs benefit from training, it keeps the mind active and young. Gives confidence and good feeling.
(positive training obv)

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Cavalier run away from her owners yesterday to see us, we were quite far away and she turned a deaf ear to their calls!
Sweet little thing, she was tiny, a black and tan called Ruby.
I think I would agree that some dogs require less training to be easy to live with. That they are more happy to just be by your side.
I would agree with that! It was time for Holly and my OH to go home today, so we took Holly for a walk up the woods, let her offlead at the normal spot as she was walking really good to heel up to there. We walked up ahead and sat on some grass in the woods, as it was only really a little toilet trip before the journey. We called her back, treats, toys, the lot, she turned a deaf ear and she wouldn't come back for 10 minutes. We ended up standing and walking back towards the exit of the woods, when she finally decided she was going to come to us. She wasn't allowed off her lead for the 10 minute walk back to my house.

Cavaliers can be really good one minute, and then really naughty the next!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
dogs, like children...and practically any other other animal learn by playing...
structured training/learning is more suitable for adult human beings...than for dogs...

the only dog that doesn;t require any training is a stuffed dog/cuddly toy...

the well behaved dogs that haven;t had any training ...haven't, in fact, had any formal training...but by playing and interacting they have certainly mastered to understand their cues and respond appropriately...without going to classes...

according to the "old school" in my home town (which i agree with completely) the most affective way to train either working dogs and pets is to be introduced into the environment in which they are supposed to work...and habituated to their tasks gently, calmly....and possibly with the help of an older and more experienced dog....no command needs to be thought separately as they will get them automatically by observing and being involved in the action...

having said that...though the dogs i have known have been very effective in their work and their tasks...were quite rubbish at formal competitions...my understanding is that this fact is mainly due to the fact,,,,that if a dog's task is to put the sheep in the pen....in competition the dog has to do a signed track, twirl around twice and make a cup of coffee...in the process while out in the field...the shepherd points at a group of sheep...and the dogs knows what to do as he's learnt it through time, observation and play....and has practised it first by watching, then by following around an older dog...and finally on its own has refined the best way to carry out its task and make the master happy so that he can have a nice pat on the head!

same goes in the fields for pointing, flushing, retrieving or even guarding...

relatively to man-work (police, hearing aid, guide for the blinds...) then a level of structured training becomes very important...well essential i would day...give the delicate nature of the tasks the dogs have to perform...

i suppose (well....i can see it every day..) that this "method" in the end is some sort of training...without training...i guess this is what the OP was referring to
i hope my rambling makes sense!

best
D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ah the rose tinted spectacles of nostalgia :D dogs from 'years ago' always seemed to be better behaved.

There are lots of reasons for that of course as social change has brought great change to how dogs live. Pluse commercial diets and certain breeding practices have had an effect on behaviour.

But, even if you don't take the dog to training classes or do formal training sessions the dog is till being trained ;)

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Interesting thread.

Max and lilly were never taught to heel in the traditional sense, but after a fair amount of corrections they soon learned. However sammy is a different kettle of fish. No amount of corrections stop him pulling, although he s better.

Because lilly is such a nervous dog, she had a real lack of self confidence. She finds it difficult to try new things and a training class would be way to stressful for her. Sammy is the complete opposite and thrives on new things!

I guess it depends on the dog. Max and lilly are happy as they are. They do what I ask, but really just want the quiet life (after their experiences u can't really blame them). But training sammy has had a huge effect on his behaviour.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My parents once had the most remarkable little dog. She was a scruffy black mutt, sort of terrier type. They rescued her at a year old and she certainly had had no training whatsoever. They never actually taught her any formal commands either, but she seemed instinctively to know what was wanted. She was full of joy and very playful, yet always came when called, never chased except for squirrels in the woods, was affectionate and and always close, yet could be left for any length of time. An absolute angel in every respect. They had a canal boat and she would travel on that with them, hopping off for a stroll along the towpath when she fancied it and hopping back on a bit further up. You never had to worry what she might be up to.

One in a million!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
all dogs get 'trained'.....they just pick up on stuff over time - soo if you talk to them more they pick up more.

all dogs needs training - how else will they learn not to p1ss inside? :D

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Heidi has been a little dream as far as training goes. We had her at 9 weeks and she never looked to pooh indoors. That was always done outside - her choice. She has just started asking to go out if she is going to be sick and pulls into the gutter on the lead to do her business if there is no grass. We did have to work a little with the wee training but she caught on v quickly. She has picked up words and what they mean and just seems to want to please.
I am very aware how lucky I am and try hard not to take it for granted.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
all dogs get 'trained'.....they just pick up on stuff over time - soo if you talk to them more they pick up more.

all dogs needs training - how else will they learn not to p1ss inside? :D
i got blaze at 1`3 weeks and he only ever did wee inside once, hes never ever done it again, even when he was small and got left 3 hrs he didnt. some dogs are naturally well behaved i think.

·
Registered
158 Posts
interesting post, although we made a concious effort to teach 'sit' and 'paw' etc it seems the manners came naturally with jack. Within a day he was toilet trained (he'd never even been in a house when we got him) he wont take food until you told him he could even if its balanced on his nose :rolleyes:.. and when i let him in from the garden i open the door and he just sits and looks at me until i tell him hes allowed to come in. Hes not a nervous dog or anything, all i can think is that hes picked up signals somewhere but i dont know where! we had him from 8weeks and up until then he'd been in a barn :confused1:

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
I think dogs learn and pick up alot from the owners.

I owned a gsd/collie when I was at a busy time of my life, quite stressed and unsettled and he was kinda the same, never wanted to keep still, pulled on the lead, ran a way that kinda thing.

But the dogs I own now, are completely different. I am calm, settled, happy, and they are too. Yes Dixie did have a phase of pulling on the lead but that was my fault for letting her pull on the lead when I walked her with the big dogs when she was a puppy we had a foster gsd who pulled like mad. But apart from that they pretty much do as theyr told (minus Dave's teenage selective deafness!)

·
Registered
5,927 Posts

·
Banned
23,698 Posts
Dogs do learn from you what you want even without formal training so they will still be trained. Untrained but perfect dogs only exist in Disney/Lassie movies

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.