UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you let your dog take things off each other?

Arrow is terrible at doing this to Jake, I don't let him and say 'ah ah'. If he manages to do it before I have a chance to 'ah ah' him, then I will give whatever it is back to Jake. I just don't think it is fair on my poor Jake... however, Jake just lets him. He is a dog with no hesitation to tell others off if they need it, but he still just lets Arrow away it... I usually like to leave them to it, but that is something that I just have to step in with.

So, do your dogs do it? And do you allow them to?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Owning a breed which is prone to dog/same-sex aggression and intact males; no, I don't ever let them do that. If I'm giving them something they're likely to both want, I give them one each in separate rooms or separated by a stairgate. I'm sure a whole lot of people get one fine without these precautions, but I'm always wary in my household.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My older dog will take toys off the puppy but he then takes them back to her to play together, i mainly leave them to it unless they seem to be guarding a toy or getting to hyper together

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
If it's something edible then definitely not.

Flynn has a habit of wanting what everybody else has, regardless of whether he's got something of his own. So, when it comes to toys he could happily be playing with a toy of his own, but as soon as Jed or Jessie get a toy, he's straight over to take it off them, then that becomes the toy he wants. If the other dogs are happily playing alone then I dont allow him but if it's a toy that they are kind of sharing, like a tug toy then I let them get on with it.

If one dog has enough of a desire to keep hold of what they've got, then they will growl a warning which the other dogs heed but if they allow things to be taken from them then I figure they didnt want it enough.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
I let them do it with toys coz generally the one that wants it most will be the one that gets it! They really arent that bothered about toys...when it comes to treats/chews then I always take things back. Hannah is one of those dogs that wants whatever anyone else has and the other 2 wont argue so I often have reach under her and redistribute the chews she is hoarding.:rolleyes:
She never minds though, I dont think she really expects to get away with it!LOL

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Funnily enough I have the exact same problem....everything Tummel has Dan wants :(

I've been doing the same as you and although it's early days I think it's working!!! Dan sees Tummel with something and isn't so quick to go for it now. With the exception of bones Tummel will allow Dan to take anything from him.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
With edible chews no..Chester is in another room with the child gate shut as he has food guarding issues...but with stag bars etc yes..they love to bite the opposite ends of the bar at the same time..then sometimes Mavis will run off with it, he will take it back .....it can carry on like this for sometime.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Unless I'm there to monitor them, Ripley would dive down the back of another dogs throat just to get the food they were eating!! :eek:

He is not food aggressive, just super greedy that he'll risk getting bit just to eat more!!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
When it comes to food only our bitch would ever try and take something from one of the others and it's always the whippet as he takes the longest to eat. We keep an eye on them when they're eating anything just to make sure she doesn't try it.

With toys and antler chews stealing them from each other is half the fun. We've got more than enough to go around and it is perfectly possible for them all to be settled down with a chew each chomping away on them. It's fun to steal the one someone else wants though, then they have to go steal someone else's and it just carries on like that until someone gets bored or they start playing properly :lol:

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
If the dogs are happy to share and swap, then it's fine by me. If the dogs want to keep their own things, again, that's fine by me.

Ozzy, Blue and Harvey are fantastic sharers - they're real stars. They'll share large food items for their dinners, all laid chewing together, and they all have to have a taste of one anothers chews/treats - even when they've got the same things! They've got such a nice relationship that I actively encourage them to continue sharing their things like that.

Alfie, Jake and Dylan on the other hand, like their food to be their food! They don't do sharing, and the others seem to have a mutal respect for this. The big lads know they can share food between themselves, but don't try to take things off the greyhounds and Alfie, and vice versa - they don't try to take stuff off the big boys.

Toys on the other hands - no problems at all. They all share, all take toys off one another and I never stop them - it's up to them what they do. Never any grumbles or fisticuffs.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
I will allow the odd grumble over bones and meals.. no contact is allowed though. Sadie and Jack will take whatever they can off Benjie at meal times, which is not allowed.
Pennie will take whatever off the older dogs (except Louie). They share toys though, However the clowns have to have what each other has no matter what they have - typical siblings.

But nothing more than a grumble has ever occurred over food or toys.

·
Sois pas chiant, chéri.
12,133 Posts
Zak is always doing this. He's the dominant dog. If the others object, he distracts them by bringing a different toy, letting them take it then stealing the toy he actually wants. Makes me die!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.