Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog's sharing a crate & other questions

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Stephen_, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Stephen_

Stephen_ PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum & i was wondering if you could give me some pointers please ?

I have just put down a deposit on a boxer puppy & i get him next week, now i have a 2yr old Lab/Retreiver cross who i crated trained & who still uses his crate .. more of a home & haven than anything else but we shut him in at night as he likes to bark at the grass growing :D.
    So my question is when crate training the new dog can both dogs share the same crate or will they need to be in seperate crates. At the moment Chico (the dog) shares the house with a cat & when he's in his crate & the cat is out floating about chico usually give the crate a bang at his disapproval :eek:ut:

I personally think they would be better in seperate crates but what do you guys think ?

Thanks

2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Seperate crates I would say, let them both have thier own space, particulary the older one, who could be annoyed at the intrusion into his space.

*Heidi*

3. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Hi my dog was just over 1 yr old when hubby came home with a puppy !!! ,i had to get another crate as my dog did not like puppy climbing all over him, plus we used the second crate to put the pup in to give my other dog some peace sometimes,

4. rona

rona Guest

Hi and welcome
    Definitely two crates, your older dog will need to be able to get away from the pup at times

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Definitely seperate crates. My pup is now 6 months and I still wouldn't trust them alone, they love paly fighting and I can only imagine the trouble they would get into!

I also remember (sorry- horror story) Remember someone where I used to live gatting a puppy they had a 3yr old dog, left them both in the kitchen (small kitchen) and the pup must have annoyed the older dog so much they came home to a big bloody mess and the older dog had killed the pup!

You definitely need somewhere your older dog can get away from the pup. Also at first you want the pup to have more time alone with you than your other dog, otherwise the pup will bond more to your other dog and training would be harder.

Would love to see pic of Chico i used to have a lab x retreiver.

x

6. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

seperate crates is the best idea, as the older dog will want some peace and quiet and time out from the pup. It is not a good idea to crate both together in case they fight even as they get older. Yes we put ours in a crate together but this is only for travelling in the car or when we are at shows, they are not crated together over night or if we go out, they are seperate etc.

good luck with the new arrival:)

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Seperate crates you're older dog is going to need somewhere to get away from the puppy they tend to be very bouncy and especially with boxer puppies.

8. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

One of my friends wouldn't listen to me about needing two crates - she put her pup in with her rock solid friendly 2 year old - when she returned from shopping the pup was dead :(

Older dogs need their own space x

Good luck with your pup :D

9. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Definately seperate crates to start with, though at shows i can put two in a crate (large one so they both have plenty of room!) with no issues. My pug Delilah who's 3 gets crated with my 6 month old basenji in the car, at shows, or when they have to go in a crate at home (rarely as i leave them loose in the dining room when im out).

Older dogs definately need somewhere to get away from young pups, but if they get on well there is no reason, once the pup is older and less likely to pester, that they cant go in together for short periods of time :D

10. iibao

iibao PetForums Junior

Well it depends on the dog. When I got my klee kai, I bought a smaller crate for her. She end up sleeping in my husky's crate with him.

11. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

My youngest slept in a closed crate until she was about 6 months whilst the adult was in an open crate. Now they both sleep in the same open crate.

12. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

i have never had a problem with my three sharing the one crate. Gypsy and Inca are 3 and 2(inca will be three in september) our youngest is 10 months.

she shared a crate with them from the 2nd day of us having her.
    [​IMG]

admiteadly our crate is big enough for a doberman as we got it of my friend as she didnt need it any more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice