Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs scared of outside

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Biscuit123, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

Hi!

We have five dogs and all five are scared of the backyard. They'll dash away from us whenever we try and get them outside. They'll just sit on the back porch and stare at us. They don't even wanna play! Like we'll take them outside and sit with them and they'll just sit there and stare at us. But as soon as we let them inside they'll start playing crazy. It's like they think the dirt is made out of hot metal! And this doesn't just happen when it's hot they do the same thing when in the early morning/late night. This has just started happening in the last week. I dunno what to do like one of my dogs won't come off the porch and would rather poop in my room (which he does!) Like yesterday I made a makeshift agility course for my dog because I know she loves agility. And she would go through each obstacle, but after every one she would run back to the porch. We have a huge yard and I wish they'd use it. Any tips? They're driving me crazy!

2. Chatcat

Chatcat Guest

I wonder if it's just too hot. I mean, really, it is just too hot to move. My collie has very thick fur, just about a week ago stopped going outside during the day. Will happily belt about in the garden at night. She can be very timid and I wondered if something scared her, but you are saying the say thing! And you have five! Where are you? What is the temp?

3. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

I live in the south of America. It usually gets around 70-90 Fahrenheit every day. The humidity will be up to the nineties

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

USA? South America would be Argentina, Paraguay etc. ;) US ain't the only America :) Sorry, minor pet peeve of mine :D

Anyway, if the dirt is dry it could be hot. There could be bugs - horseflies hurt like hell and dogs learn quickly to avoid them by staying inside. Other bugs are super annoying too. Or something spooked them - do they use underground fence collars?

5. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

Oh I'm sorry:Sorry But honestly I rather not share exactly where I live. Just in the south of the US. We have a six foot chain link fence no underground fence collars. We have quite a few mosquitos but those never bite the dogs and gnats too but they seem to ignore the dogs and head for humans. We have fake grass a good ways on our yard. The fake grass can get quite hot, but even when it rains they don't want to get their paws wet. I suppose it's just the heat.

6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I didn't ask you to specify when in the US that you live :confused:

Yes, astroturf and dirt - if you're in the southeastern US that would be of the red-clay variety, or even the sandy stuff, can get very hot on their paws even for short potty breaks.
    Also please make sure you're keeping up with heartworm preventative especially with the mosquitos :)

Rafa and Biscuit123 like this.
  7. Chatcat

Chatcat Guest

Yes, i would say it's just too hot - 90 would be too hot to move in the UK. You will know of course, when it starts to cool down come winter, whether it is something else bothering them.

8. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

I suppose... the only thing I don't understand is they all used to live in the desert. I would reach 100 to 110 Fahrenheit. The days would be scorching and yet the dogs would happily sleep outside. They would run off soon as we let them outside, even though the sand could get terribly hot. Like I could feel hot sand burning my feet even while I was wearing hardy leather boots. And they didn't even seem to notice the heat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice