Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs on trains?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ChatterPuss, Apr 3, 2011.

1. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums VIP

My husband is going away over Easter with the children as I still have to work but I am hoping to go to them for a few days with the dog. I would have to make a four hour train journey. Has anyone done this and if so do you have any advice or suggestions. Are there any facilities on the train for dogs etc?

2. borderer

borderer Guest

ye they have a lampost at back of train:rolleyes::001_smile:

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Yes, dogs are allowed on trains, as far as I'm aware. I've seen lots on them in the past.

Just make sure the dog is walked (so tired) and has been to the loo before getting on the train, is kept on a short lead and take some water and chews or a stuffed kong with you. May also help him settle if you take one of his blankets that he can lie at your feet on. No special areas, just get on like you would normally without a dog.

4. ChatterPuss

Ha Ha, my pup hasn't learnt to cock his leg yet anyway?
    Was meaning specific places to sit etc!

5. ChatterPuss

Thanks, I always take water with me, but wasn't sure if we had to sit in a specific area!:001_smile:

6. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

I've done a 3 hour journey before and it was fine but we had been on a lot of shorter journies before that. We travel on a train approximately every 2 weeks - shorter journeys of between 40mins and an hour. Is your dog used to trains and does he/she generally travel well?

We travel at unsociable times so the train isn't busy and sit in the area for wheelchairs by the toilets (this is of course as long as a disabled person doesn't need it). We take a blanketl so they know where to lie, plus yummy treats and something to chew so that the dog is distracted and a road refresher bowl and water. We have greyhounds so they tend just to go to sleep for the duration - they just need a bit of a soothe sometimes when the train stops at a station and we aren't getting off.

We've never encountered any problems and the ticket check guys usually love to stop and make a fuss of them.

7. ChatterPuss

Thanks. Unfortunately he has not been on the train before, but although he has been car sick a few times we have been taking him out every weekend and is getting used to it.
    I had thought of taking his blanket and chews, drink etc but concerned if he has to relive himself with it being such a long journey. we have to change after half an hour so that will help but then have another 2 1/2 hours after that! we set of around 6pm and get there around 11pm so should be quieter I hope!

8. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I am car sick but never feel sick on the train as they don't lurch about so much and it's a lot smoother ride. Maybe it will be the same for dogs.

Dogs travel free on Trains and aren't allowed on the seat unless the ticket collector says so. But if they're little you can have them on your knee. When I travel with mine Bizkit lays under a table or in the gangway.

The rules are that they must be well behaved & if someone doesn't like dogs you will have to move. If there is no where on the train where people like your dog you will have to get off and wait for the next train. I've never been asked to move, and people mostly like to see the dogs and make a fuss of them. A few times people have seen them and decided to go sit in a different carriage, but other than that never any bother.

9. Bellarina

Bellarina PetForums Member

This thread reminded me of our first train journey with Toby, who is a stocky chocolate lab. We first took him on a steam train ride and they sat us in the area for wheelchairs. He was really not happy and although he was very good he couldn't sit still and had his paws up on our laps most of the time.

We went through a tunnel and there were no lights on the train so it was pitch black. We heard my Mum cry out but couldn't see anything and when we came out of the tunnel Toby had jumped up onto her lap! She is tiny and he was so massive on her lap, it was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Obviously not funny that Toby was distressed but the fact that he thought sitting on her lap was going to help was quite amusing! Still makes me chuckle now!

10. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

I have traveled with clover (She hates it) I generally put her blanket on the seat next to me if it's not busy. The conductors are usually OK with that, and are pleased to see I've covered the seat.

I don't give clover anything to drink on the train (it's only 3 hours) and don't feed her before to try and stop travel sickness.

11. ChatterPuss

I can picture it now ..... Sounds a bit like a Scooby Doo cartoon !

12. ChatterPuss

All sounds good advice ... Thanks!

13. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Yes, my OH travels down on the train with Holly. It's a good 6 hour plus journey, with 4 changes. She is generally fed before, and walked a lil before hand too. She gets water and treats on the train, but generally she'll just sleep :) She's so used to travelling, as she's been down to mine 5 times, first was at 4 months.

If there aren't any seats he'll sit on the floor with her, but he tries to get a 2 seater, put a blanket on a seat, and let her chill for the journey. No train conductor has complained for her being on a seat, as we try to cover it, and take safety pins, so that we can pin it high enough that none of the seat gets dog hairs on it.

How bigs your dog?

14. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I work in the Train Industry (Haha a secret crank!) in general the TOCS (Train Operating Companies) are fine about dogs but I would suggest you check with the company who actually run the service you will be using just to make sure. Some can have restrictions on times etc dogs can travel during.

As a previous poster said if somebody complains then the conductor has the right to ask you to move seats. If your dog is being naughty then they can ask you to leave.

But one piece of advice, however small your dog may be do not let them sit on the seats. Not everybody loves dogs as much as the people on this forum and you will most likely be asked to remove the dog. It's not fair on the next person who may be sitting there and wont appreciate the hair :).

Good Luck :) with careful planning it should be a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

15. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Are they allowed to do that? I was under the impression that since the National Rail conditions of carriage didn't say that, that they weren't allowed? Their website says that they may not amend the COC so I would have thought that included time restrictions as there aren't any set out in appendix b. Would be great to hear it from the horses mouth though!

16. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I would get in touch with the "train company" you are going to travel with, not all of them allow dogs.

17. ChatterPuss

He's an English Springer 5 month old pup, so not yet fully grown though quite big....can just about pick him up, but he is well behaved !:)

#17 ChatterPuss, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  18. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Legally they have to - it's in the Conditions of Carriage set out by National rail and a train company isn't allowed to change those. A person may take 2 animals with them on the train (so 2 dogs or 2 animals in carriers or one of each etc.). If someone complains you may have to move or if your animal causes a nuisance they can ask you to get off but they can't just refuse you straight off the bat.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf

If you scroll down to appendix b and the animals part it sets it all out there.

ETA: But you can't take livestock :nono: So you'll have to leave your cow at home! :tongue_smilie:

19. ChatterPuss

That's a shame was hoping to take Ermintrude too!

20. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

You are right there is nothing in the conditions of carriage and the TOC's legally have to abide by this but personally I would still always check when booking tickets pprior to travel. You cannot be refused because you have your animals with you but some TOC's are probably more welcoming than others! (Just like you hear with bus drivers in London)

I know that some trains will have a luggage compartment thus IF someone was unhappy and kept complaining about your dog etc you may have to resort to moving them to here. In order to be in luggage compartment the dog has to be muzzled (For the safety of staff as you cannot stay in the luggage comaprtment for the duration of the journey) Thus if you couldnt comply to this then you would need to wait until the next service.

So personally I would probably still check prior to a journey just to clarify and make them aware that I intend to bring two dogs.

I have yet to take my two on the train together, we are hoping to head to Brighton on the Thameslink line in the next 4-6 weeks, could be intresting :)

I hope you enjoy your journey :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice