UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly I apologise for asking something that may seem obvious to you but I'm feeling a bit confused at the moment..

I have a few different walks for Horace and I, close to home so streets, roads etc (always onlead)
Park (on and offlead depending on situation)
public footpaths through fields (mainly offlead as we seldom if ever come across another soul)
Crossing/passing by farms etc he is always put back on lead.

I don't allow Horace or give him the opportunity to approach other dogs, people etc unless we have been given permission.
We have a group dog session a few times a week in the park where 8 dogs play offlead together with no problems.

I was chatting to my father yesterday and when he heard that I let Horace offlead on those occasions he made it clear that it was illegal to do so... now I'm very confused as I thought the only issues were near roads, livestock, or if your dog is aggressive etc.

I have tried researching the subject but getting different opinions on it...
Would you be so kind as to explain in as simple a manner as possible the Law regarding dogs offlead. Any links to websites would be most helpful!

Many thanks

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
I believe road trafic act requires that dogs need to be on lead near roads - not sure I have a link though

Local councils will have by-laws in place as to where dogs can be off lead.

I live on the coast and most of the beach is no dogs except between October and April but there is a section where dogs are allowed off lead.

Check out your council website or give them a ring to find if there are any areas where you can't let the dogs off.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have thought that in addition to your thoughts he is meaning that some parks have rules in place that dogs must be onlead.
I did say to him that I believed some parks had a dogs onlead only policy but others did not but he was adamant that anywhere at all in public dogs are required by law to be kept onlead.

·
Team Ginger!
10,710 Posts
I did say to him that I believed some parks had a dogs onlead only policy but others did not but he was adamant that anywhere at all in public dogs are required by law to be kept onlead.
Has he picked up on a bit of the totally daft Pitbull rules? Which require them to be on lead AT ALL TIMES aswell as being muzzled, neutered and tattooed?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe road trafic act requires that dogs need to be on lead near roads - not sure I have a link though

Local councils will have by-laws in place as to where dogs can be off lead.

I live on the coast and most of the beach is no dogs except between October and April but there is a section where dogs are allowed off lead.

Check out your council website or give them a ring to find if there are any areas where you can't let the dogs off.
Yes I will try the council, see what they say. Near roads etc I get that bit and always comply, I would never take a chance with Horace near a road so I am complying with the law there... it's the rest of it that is confusing me!

·
Still missing my boys
42,311 Posts
Which bit is he disagreeing with?

Dogs only have to be under close control on a footpath, even in a field with stock, many places where footpaths cross however may be privately owned or nature reserves etc, in urban areas it's down to the council.

It's a minefield out there. If you go somewhere regularly and let him "run" it might be best to try and find out if in doubt

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has he picked up on a bit of the totally daft Pitbull rules? Which require them to be on lead AT ALL TIMES aswell as being muzzled, neutered and tattooed?
Does that mean he is talking nonsense?!

I don't know where he's getting this from as I thought it was ok in all the situations that I said above and I would like to think that I'm a responsible owner but he has me doubting what I thought was right.

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
Its def near roads/traffic and then down to individual council rules about wether your dog can go off lead. Maybe he lives in an area with a strict council policy on of lead dogs?:confused:
...or is getting confused with another country that has much stricter leash laws!:D

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This kennel club page links you through to a number of laws around dogs etc
Information Guide - Do you know dog law? - The Kennel Club
Thank you Fleur.

According to that:

"It is a criminal offence (for the owner and/or the person in charge of the dog) to allow a dog to be ‘dangerously out of control’ in a public place, a place where it is not permitted to be, and some other areas. A ‘dangerously out of control’ dog can be defined as a dog that has injured someone or a dog that a person has grounds for reasonable apprehension that it may do so. Something as simple as your dog chasing, barking at or jumping up at a person or child could lead to a complaint, so ensure that your dog is under control at all times."

So this means that as long as you have your dog under control it is perfectly legal to have him offlead in dog friendly (offlead) places... that's it isn't it?!

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Thank you Fleur.

According to that:

"It is a criminal offence (for the owner and/or the person in charge of the dog) to allow a dog to be ‘dangerously out of control’ in a public place, a place where it is not permitted to be, and some other areas. A ‘dangerously out of control’ dog can be defined as a dog that has injured someone or a dog that a person has grounds for reasonable apprehension that it may do so. Something as simple as your dog chasing, barking at or jumping up at a person or child could lead to a complaint, so ensure that your dog is under control at all times."

So this means that as long as you have your dog under control it is perfectly legal to have him offlead in dog friendly (offlead) places... that's it isn't it?!
That's my understanding to ;)

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Which bit is he disagreeing with?

Dogs only have to be under close control on a footpath, even in a field with stock, many places where footpaths cross however may be privately owned or nature reserves etc, in urban areas it's down to the council.

It's a minefield out there. If you go somewhere regularly and let him "run" it might be best to try and find out if in doubt
He believes it is illegal to have dogs offlead in any public place and only lets his dogs offlead when he goes to visit a farmer who allows them to use his field. Any other walks are always onlead.

I think I am doing it right but he seemed so certain that it's planted doubt in my mind! I will try the council though and see what they say just so that I can be absolutely certain for what applies in my area.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its def near roads/traffic and then down to individual council rules about wether your dog can go off lead. Maybe he lives in an area with a strict council policy on of lead dogs?:confused:
...or is getting confused with another country that has much stricter leash laws!:D
yes that's what I thought as well.. I've tried the council website but all I can find is laws against dog fouling etc.. I'll have to keep looking or give them a ring.

·
Super Moderator
11,995 Posts
And yet, according to my local dog warden, it isn't illegal at all for dogs to be offlead anywhere - even on the streets, near roads. :confused: :rolleyes: Maybe that's just in South Tyneside though :confused:

I'll be watching this thread with interest. :)

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And yet, according to my local dog warden, it isn't illegal at all for dogs to be offlead anywhere - even on the streets, near roads. :confused: :rolleyes: Maybe that's just in South Tyneside though :confused:

I'll be watching this thread with interest. :)
Oh gosh that doesn't sound right! Any responsible dog owner wouldnt chance their dogs offlead near a road!

·
Registered
20,329 Posts
He believes it is illegal to have dogs offlead in any public place and only lets his dogs offlead when he goes to visit a farmer who allows them to use his field. Any other walks are always onlead.

I think I am doing it right but he seemed so certain that it's planted doubt in my mind! I will try the council though and see what they say just so that I can be absolutely certain for what applies in my area.
He is talking rubbish I am afraid. As far as I know you can have your dog offlead wherever you like so long as it is under control and unless there is a bye law saying it has to be on the lead - which would only be in certain areas by/on roads or certain parks where dogs are either banned or have to be on the lead.

If someone wants their dog offlead by a road that does not have a byelaw then that is their choice, though they will be responsible if the dog causes an accident.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.