Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs on hols

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by braemarblue, Apr 22, 2011.

1. braemarblue

braemarblue PetForums Member

Hi, post from a newby. have promised the wife and our two terrors, sorry, terriers that its into the car and off on hols we go this summer. 1st time with the dogs gulp.:crazy: just wondering if anyone got any good websites or info regarding any good canine friendly accommodation. we are from scotland but not fussed if its nth, sth, east, or west where we head too. just shooting the breeze for a week.
    accommodation requirements:
    : Nice park or beach for 2 high energy terriers!
    : on site resussitation kit for male owner!
    : good shaded area for elder lady dog to chill out after run abouts!
    : good bar/lounge for not so elder wife to chill out after run abouts!
    : young dog looking for nightlife, young lady dogs all welcome!

Cheers and thanks for any info

#1 braemarblue, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

I hope you find what you're looking for! Have you googled dog friendly accommodations or are you looking for references? Word of mouth is always the best imo.

Can't help as I'm in Canada, but we've changed our cottage holiday for the summer to a dog friendly one and relied on references. I hope you get some good ones!

3. braemarblue

Hi jonesey. i have googled some places in scotland but like you, i think that best ask them in the know. word of mouth works for me. cheers

4. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Hi we go camping with our little westie most places accept dogs but if its cottage or apartment lots take dogs just need to ask around, sorry not much help :( good luck tho enjoy holiday :D

5. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Hi, we always go on camping hols and have found some lovely campsites that are really dog friendly. If you want a cottage/apartment holiday there's a book availalable called 'DOGS WELCOME'. My parents use it as they have 2 mini dachs and they have never been disappointed.

6. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

7. braemarblue

Thanks very much guys for info on book and webpage. gives us something to start on.

8. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

We're getting married in November and our honeymoon is going to Pickering to the Forest holidays park. Google forest holidays they do loads of nice looking cabins and you can take your dog.

9. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

10. braemarblue

Cheers for that lexilou and happy honeymooning. you taking any pets?

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I am going on holiday next week to a place booked via Cottages4You so can let you know how it goes. The Dogs Trust I believe also has a holiday homes scheme but haven't looked at it myself.

12. braemarblue

That would be ace thanks. just dont warn anyone were coming ha ha

13. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

the only place I holiday up Scotland is just down the road from you (guessing by the name) in Ballater lol so not much help I'm afraid

Have heard there are some gorgeous places and very dog friendly over on Mull, can get you the details if you want? or is that too far out the way?

14. braemarblue

Hi, were a bit further north than braemar and name comes from our house/ street name lol. but distance no problem and thanks very much for the offer of mull details. were just starting to gather info and was hoping to try maybe a couple of places over 7/10 day period. ideally down south and catch somewhere on route home but not ruling out anywhere. dogs would like to go to kerry as thats where their ancestors were but thats too far ha ha thanks

15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

We've just come back from a 4 night break via Hoeseasons. We stayed at Juliots Well,(Cornwall) in a pine lodge. Beautiful site and very dog friendly. Didnt feel second rate because we had a dog. Our accomodation was the same as the rest.
    Thoroughly recommend - we are going back

16. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Well i promised an update. The whole process through Cottages4You was great and represented good value for money.

The cottage and location themselves were lovely and just right for a dog. The garden, however was a disappointment. I had booked the place as it stated 'secure garden'; it definitely was not - the fence was easy to get under or over where it bordered the woods and the wall along the front of the garden was about 10" high with a 5' drop on the other side, so I used Kilo's tie out line. Additionally, some work had been done recently I think; there was lots of wood planking left out and lots of bits of metal, glass etc littering the garden. I did my best to clear it, but on the second day Kilo gashed his toe open requiring a vet visit as I couldn't stem the bleeding plus it needed antibiotics and on the evening of the same day I caught him running about with a piece of wood with rusty nails sticking out which he was about to have a chomp on.

So...in summary; I would definitely use the company again and we still had a great holiday out and about but I would not use the same property, purely due to the garden.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice