Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dogs off the lead

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by smileykate, Aug 23, 2013.

1. smileykate

smileykate PetForums Newbie

Hi, Im new to this forum so excuse me if I make some mistakes.
    I decided to investigate the law about dogs being off the lead in public spaces due to the abuse and bullying I have been subjected to over the last few months in my community.
    I have a dog,she is a Lurcher two and a half years old. I have had her since she was 3 months old,and spent over a year training her to cross roads, walk with me etc. She now is off the lead when I take her out. I must add that she is an extremly gentle dog,she has never been aggressive to any other dog or person,its just not in her personality. People seem to think that just because my dog is off the lead, it gives them the right to be abusive to me. I have had dog owners shouting at me that their dog hates other dogs? and can I put my dog on the lead. I have been told over and over that I am irresponsible and shouldnt be allowed to have a dog,as they are convinced my dog will get hit by a car. yesterday a man told me I had two options either he will call the council or 'deal with my dog himself'.I have had dogs all my life,my last dog died aged 17yrs old,everybody knew her, she would go and visit people and her dog friends and everyone liked her. One thing I have learnt through the years is that dog owners who start shouting,put their stress into their dog, which causes a negative reaction,my last dog was a bit more intolerant of these people and would bark,and sometimes a growl up would ensue between the dogs.
    the dog i have now,just avoids these people,she has learnt not to say hello to other dogs with owners like this,and obviously has got to know the local dogs in the area.These people who are so self rightous,as far as I can see,have little understanding of dogs. For a start a male dog will rarely if ever fight a bitch,and vise versa,although a bitch may growl at a male,but not have a full on fight.Another point is that if people think they can start trying to catch a dog which is happily trotting along the pavement,this can be very dangerous. The dog could get scared and try and get away from these humans who are shouting ,waving their arms around,and generally letting off stress signals,making the dog perhaps run in the road to avoid them.I have seen this myself many times and have stressed to leave the dog alone.Just because some people disapprove of dogs being off the lead, and have decided never to train their own dog,or to trust their dogs intelligence enough to even contemplate the idea,should really stop trying to force their opinion down the throuts of dog owners that are prepared to take the time to train,trust and respect their dog. I am very upset at the bullying I have been subjected to,really nasty insults and threats when I am minding my own business taking my dog for a walk,or going to the shops whatever,I can't understand why. If my dog was a threat to others or a danger to herself then I would continue to train her,or put her on the lead untill I felt she was ready,however long it took. I question why some people have dogs at all if they have no understanding of how dogs behave towards each other,or that dogs are not stupid. I must add here that some dogs especially rescued ones, may be beyond training,or the owners don't feel confident to take it off the lead. thats fair enough,who am I to judge others I know nothing about!:)
    I would love to hear from anyone who has a comment to make about this

#1 smileykate, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Personally I think anyone walking their dog off leash by a road is highly irresponsible. I don't care how well trained/gentle/whatever the dog is it is still a dog and not a robot. All it takes is one incident where the dog spooks or behaves in an out of character way and it ends up under the wheels of a bus dead. Sorry, just not worth the risk. Put your dog on a leash by roads and keep her and everyone else around you safe.

3. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

I presume she's still on lead when on the pavement/near roads...? If not, then you probably deserve everything you get.

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

So what did you find out about the law? :D

5. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Speaking as a previously irresponsible owner who did walk their dog off lead beside roads you are putting your dog in a very dangerous situation :mad:. We also thought we could trust our dog implicitly but at the end of the day he was a dog and he had a dog thought one day and dashed across the road and was hit by a van!

Speaking as a current owner of a dog who does not like other dogs approaching, I and my dog are very alarmed when we see off lead dogs anywhere, beside roads just makes me angry, it is common courtesy to leash your dog up when anyone with or without dogs approaches you as you cannot tell how they feel about dogs, they might be scared or nervous, or in pain or elderly.

This sentence............

Just because some people disapprove of dogs being off the lead, and have decided never to train their own dog,or to trust their dogs intelligence enough to even contemplate the idea,should really stop trying to force their opinion down the throuts of dog owners that are prepared to take the time to train,trust and respect their dog.

...........is not only insulting (I hate the phrase trust your dog :rolleyes:) it is incorrect, if you really respected dog, you would keep both yours and other peoples safe from harm and lead it up beside roads or when near other dogs or people.

ETA welcome to the forum :), we are actually a freindly bunch but I suspect your first experience will not be a pleasant one, this kind of thing doesn't go down very well I am afraid.

#5 GingerRogers, Aug 23, 2013
    rona likes this.
  6. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to pf :)

Am I reading correctly that you have trained your dog and she is now off lead all the time?

My last dog was a star behaviour wise when out pavement walking but there was no way I would ever walk her near any kind of road off lead. Anything could startle a dog from a car backfiring, a sudden noise etc and cause a dog to bolt. My dogs are too precious to me to ever risk this, let alone any people that could be injured by a vehicle swerving to avoid them.

7. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

she is a Lurcher two and a half years old. I have had her since she was 3 months old,and spent over a year training her to cross roads, walk with me etc. She now is off the lead when I take her out.
    I wouldn't trust a sight hound off the lead near a road what if there was a cat or a squirrel? You might say she's fine with people and other dogs but that's not the issue here.
    Its against the law to have your dog off the lead near the road, her nature around other people and dogs has nothing to do with it. Granted I know the abuse isn't called for but I'd just put her on the lead and let her off where its off road.
    I'm one of those people that get annoyed about dogs being off lead near the road, ok I won't get abusive but I still don't think its right.
    Also tying a dog up outside a shop is not something I'd do either, the dog could get stolen.

8. owns the beast

owns the beast PetForums Senior

From personal experience just since last December when we got Stanley we've had at least half a dozen off lead dogs run across the road to greet him. Regardless whether it's friendly or well trained or not (it's been about 50/50 so far) the dog see's Stanley and runs for him regardless of traffic. I'm truly surprised we haven't seen one run over. For that reason alone I don't think dogs should be off lead near roads.

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If you are walking her off lead next to roads, then I'm afraid I have no sympathy for you at all.

You are playing Russian Roulette with your dogs life - and no matter how well trained you think she may be, at the end of the day, she is an animal not a robot - and if she gets spooked and bolts off into the road - your dogs death would be entirely your fault, just because you could not be bothered to take two seconds to clip a lead onto her collar. Something entirely preventable, that you would have to live with for the rest of your life.

I am all for well behaved dogs offlead where it is safe for them to be so - there is nothing better than seeing dogs romping around freely in fields or woodland, or on the beach - but by a road? What on earth is the point?!

#9 SixStar, Aug 23, 2013
  10. SleepyBones

SleepyBones Banned

I suggest you do exactly what they ask and thank them for telling you!

I note others have already given approriate replies about dogs off lead in the street, I suppose all I have to add is is stop being so anthropomorphic about your animal & seemingly deaf to the needs of other humans.

Also, please dont let your dog go running up to a strange dog it does not know.

#10 SleepyBones, Aug 23, 2013
  11. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I agree with everything that's been said. My worry would be that there could very well be something that will spook or invite chase (cat, squirrel, etc) and that's not only a danger to your dog but any car and it's passengers that may be passing. I think this could happen with even the best trained dog.

What do you do where there are signs that say "Dogs must be on lead"? And there are places where this is a requirement, where I live there are signs along the promenade which state this.

My dog goes off lead in safe areas, i.e. beach, woods, etc., but always, always on lead when road walking.

12. Barcode

Barcode PetForums Senior

Presumably, said owners are at a distance and need to shout. As long as there is not an accompanying attitude, I'm not sure I see the problem. They are doing it in the interests of their own dog. My Scrabble is not overly friendly with other dogs invading her personal space (and why should she be? I'm not with people) and if an unwanted dog was coming too close, I'd ask the owner to put their dog on lead or forewarn them. It's not bullying. It's looking out for your dog. No-one wants a confrontation.

She could: even the best trained dogs can be startled by something unexpected. It is laziness and stupid not to leash your dog when traffic is passing.

My dogs are on lead:

- By all roads.
    - When seeing dogs that we have not interacted with before.
    - When joggers/cyclists/children etc pass.
    - In obviously unsecured areas.

Whilst it's great you trust your dog, I think you need to show a little more consideration for other people.

13. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

I don't agree with dogs off the lead by the road. Why on earth would you risk it? You might think your dog is well trained etc, but your dog is still a living, breathing creature that can think for itself. Because she can think for herself, she could choose to chase after something, she could get spooked by anything or she could simply step off the pavement and get hit.

Sorry, but why risk it? To be honest, you might think the other owners are being nasty, but in reality, why blame them?! They are the ones who are being more responsible by keeping their dogs on a lead by roads. It's such a huge risk....certainly one that I would NEVER be prepared to take. How would you be able to live with yourself if your dog got hit by an oncoming vehicle? Something you could have prevented if you had kept her on a lead....

Welcome to the forum

14. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

The Road Traffic Act 1988:

15. MyMillie

MyMillie MillieMoo'sMum

Totally agree SixStar!!

I have a feeling its the old chestnut is in play with this on! "Ego"...
    anyone who walks an off lead dog near roads does it for one purpose..."to make them feel good and try to show off their "training skills"....nothing more nothing less!!.....when will they get it in their heads they can still "look good" as they will have a dog walking lovely at heal!!

Also on another note, if I was to run over an off lead dog and it got killed I would be utterly distraught and would maybe never be able to drive again!.... and believe me I would be taking that said owner to court for causing me distress and loss of my freedom of not being able to drive again because of their stupid Ego!!

So please think on this OP!!

16. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don't believe any dog should be walked off-lead near roads. Anything could happen and, however well trained your dog, one day she could be startled and run into the road under the wheels of a car. Completely unavoidable.

If your dog does cause an accident, you could find yourself being sued for damages. Is your dog insured for third party liability? If it is, I suspect it would be null and void if the dog was not on a lead to start with.

Most sensible and reasonable dog owners do not have a problem with other people allowing their dogs off lead in fields, woods, etc. However, if you owned a dog that was (through no fault of it's own) fearful of or aggressive towards other dogs, in training, injured, blind, recovering from surgery, etc. and it was continuously being approached and jumped on and hassled by loose dogs, then I suggest you may be tempted to shout across a field to the owner of said loose dog and ask them to put it on a lead, politely - I might add. I and my dog are subjected to this on an almost daily basis. (I agree, there is no need for abuse, however.)

If, you have total control of your dog and can recall it on command, then it should not be too difficult to avoid confrontations with any other dog/owner. Simply call it to you and clip the lead on whilst the dogs gain some space. When you have moved away, you can then release your dog. Everybody happy :)

17. owns the beast

owns the beast PetForums Senior

One of the incidences I had with Stanley.... The other dog was off lead and the owner said "don't worry, she's friendly" as she came hurtling towards Stanley. I quickly shouted "mine isn't" which was meant to be a subtle hint for the owner to retrieve his dog. He didn't and some snarling and ugliness ensued. His dog was more traumatised than Stanley but that wasn't my fault, I did try and warn the owner. It's in their nature to want to approach other dogs and it's down to the owner to prevent this from happening by keeping their dog on a lead or having excellent recall skills.

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

And presumably you feel that this would be their fault that your dog got run over?:rolleyes:
    Sorry, but it would be your fault for putting your dog in danger. Unless you have a crystal ball and can tell exactly what will happen for every second that your dog is out then you cant be sure that it wont end up under a car.
    Very irresponsible towards your dog and selfish not to consider drivers (who might panic to see an off lead dog next to the road) and other people (dog walkers who might be nervous not knowing if your dog is friendly or people with dog phobias who you will terrify!).

19. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

Welcome to PF!

It is great here but like others have mentioned, this topic is not going to go down well.

Answer me this? What do you get out of walking your dog off-leash next to a road? Is it for show? "Look at how well trained my dog is"? Do you think it's better for your dog?

I have no tolerance whatsoever for people who think it is 'okay' to walk their dog off-leash in any busy area.

You are actually committing an offence and if your dog was to walk past another dog, who is not great with other dogs and who spooked your dog, causing it to run into the road, get hit by a car and die.., who would you blame?

No doubt you would blame the owner of the other dog, when in fact, in my eyes, YOU are to blame. The other owner was being responsible. That other owner had their dog on a leash. YOUR dog got spooked. YOUR dog ran in to the road and YOUR dog got killed. YOUR fault.

Why anyone would gamble with their dogs life, is beyond me.

Their are things in this world that you cannot control. You can't control every car that passes, you can't control other dogs or other people.., you know what you can control?... Your dog.

Another classic example of, "there's never a problem until there's a problem".

Walk your dog on a leash unless in a controlled area!

I'm afraid I would be one of those owners who spoke their minds if I saw you.

20. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

No dog should ever be off lead close to a road in fact I am sure it is the law that dogs must be on a lead when walking alongside a road. It is highly irresponsible and dangerous not only to the dog but also to other road users.

Having had a dog hit by a car he wasn't off lead intentionally he escaped from the house and came running to me at the end of the drive couldn't stop in time and went straight in front of a car. Fortunately the driver had seen him and had slowed down so no damage to the car. I can't say the same for William he had radial paralsys of his front leg and was lucky not to need to have it amputated. Thankfully he made a full recovery but I would rather not go through that ever again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice