Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs like eating underwear, its official...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BredaKim, Nov 29, 2007.

1. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

A US based pet insurer has revealed a startling list of the top 10 items removed from the stomach’s of greedy dogs.

VPI, the oldest and largest provider of pet health insurance in the US, has reimbursed policyholders for a lot of swallowed socks in its 25 years insuring America’s pets. Just take a look at the top 10:

1. Socks
    2. Underwear
    3. Panty Hose
    4. Rocks
    5. Balls
    6. Chew Toys
    7. Corn Cobs
    8. Bones
    9. Hair Ties/Ribbons
    10. Sticks

The list of items only scratches the surface of the collection of indigestible articles. While the most common items are pet owner’s personal belongings, other frequently ingested objects include nails, sewing needles and nipples from baby bottles. VPI’s claims adjusters have also received medical records for pets that have swallowed pagers, hearing aids, drywall, snail bait, batteries, rubber bands, toy cars, and sand with bacon grease poured on it.

“It’s no secret that cats are curious and dogs like to chew on things,” said Dr. Carol McConnell, vice president and chief veterinary medical officer for VPI. “Unfortunately, those traits can motivate pets to chew on, bite, or swallow items they shouldn’t. Some of these objects will pass naturally, but others have a tendency to become lodged in pets’ gastrointestinal tracts, resulting in pain, vomiting, or internal injury. In those cases, surgery may be a necessity.”

The best thing pet owners can do to prevent costly foreign body removal surgery is keep a clean living space. This includes making sure that personal items are not left on the floor or within easy reach of pets and remaining aware of each pet’s chewing tendencies.

Certain objects may appeal more to some pets than others. Knowledge of a pet’s tastes and tendencies can help pet owners exercise caution when letting a pet near objects that could be accidentally swallowed. Also remember that table scraps can contain excessive grease, bones or other objects not easily digested by pets.

“Most of these incidents occur without the pet owner’s knowledge,” said McConnell. “Pets can get anxious if left alone and start chewing on objects to relieve boredom or stress. Never ignore the signs that a pet may have swallowed something inedible: continual vomiting, dry heaving and/or coughing. If these symptoms occur, your pet should be examined by a veterinarian.”
    :rolleyes:

2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

my dog ate a sock the other day, i didnt know untill she was sick and it came back out, ALMOST still intact,:eek::eek::eek:

3. My old belowed moggy use to steal my bras, somehow throw it accross his houlders and race around the house....Still cant figure out - why?

4. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

heehee dont think we will ever understand why cats do the things they do

5. Vixie - I like you fox - is it your pet?

6. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

no just comes to visit sometimes she likes her freedom heehee

7. Ohhhh....do you feed her?

8. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

Thank you mods :D:D

#8 Ladywiccana, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  9. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

yes it is and and now they have gone to spam heaven :D:D

10. Ladywiccana

hehe I guess it was then lmao :D:D:D

Me English Setter Charlie Dog ate one of me mams silk scarfs once, fortunately it did come back out the front end thankfully lol.
    Quite scary tho aint it what the blighters will try and steal and eat!

11. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

it is scary they will eat the most random things sometimes and then you worry if its going to come back out :rolleyes:
    my pup Gizzie loves socks I keep finding half eaten ones everywhere I dont know where he gets them from lol I blame the kids leaving them everywhere :rolleyes::D:D

12. Akita Stud

Akita Stud PetForums Newbie

Our Akita likes to remove eyes from toys and eat them

13. Ladywiccana

haha my dobermann used to do that only he wudnt eat em he'd just go an bury em in his bed lol dont know y he eva did it! one time we counted an assortment of 20 lil black eyes pmsl :D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice