A US based pet insurer has revealed a startling list of the top 10 items removed from the stomachs of greedy dogs. VPI, the oldest and largest provider of pet health insurance in the US, has reimbursed policyholders for a lot of swallowed socks in its 25 years insuring Americas pets. Just take a look at the top 10: 1. Socks 2. Underwear 3. Panty Hose 4. Rocks 5. Balls 6. Chew Toys 7. Corn Cobs 8. Bones 9. Hair Ties/Ribbons 10. Sticks The list of items only scratches the surface of the collection of indigestible articles. While the most common items are pet owners personal belongings, other frequently ingested objects include nails, sewing needles and nipples from baby bottles. VPIs claims adjusters have also received medical records for pets that have swallowed pagers, hearing aids, drywall, snail bait, batteries, rubber bands, toy cars, and sand with bacon grease poured on it. Its no secret that cats are curious and dogs like to chew on things, said Dr. Carol McConnell, vice president and chief veterinary medical officer for VPI. Unfortunately, those traits can motivate pets to chew on, bite, or swallow items they shouldnt. Some of these objects will pass naturally, but others have a tendency to become lodged in pets gastrointestinal tracts, resulting in pain, vomiting, or internal injury. In those cases, surgery may be a necessity. The best thing pet owners can do to prevent costly foreign body removal surgery is keep a clean living space. This includes making sure that personal items are not left on the floor or within easy reach of pets and remaining aware of each pets chewing tendencies. Certain objects may appeal more to some pets than others. Knowledge of a pets tastes and tendencies can help pet owners exercise caution when letting a pet near objects that could be accidentally swallowed. Also remember that table scraps can contain excessive grease, bones or other objects not easily digested by pets. Most of these incidents occur without the pet owners knowledge, said McConnell. Pets can get anxious if left alone and start chewing on objects to relieve boredom or stress. Never ignore the signs that a pet may have swallowed something inedible: continual vomiting, dry heaving and/or coughing. If these symptoms occur, your pet should be examined by a veterinarian.