Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs legs shaking

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Chelseaboy, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Chelseaboy

Chelseaboy PetForums Junior

Hi All,

I got up this morning and when Henry (My 5 year old King Charles) tried to get up he was staggering around and his legs were shaking! He improved markedly over the next hour but we went to the vet and was told it could be a pinched nerve as everytime she touched around his neck he was resisting etc.
    she gave an injection and prescribed a week of Metacam??. Anyone have any views on what happened this morning as very scary and any views on Metacam?

Thanks

Lee

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about Henry :( Hopefully some days rest & the Metacam will do the trick, maybe use a harness from now on instead of a collar unless you already do & remember to give the Metacam with or just after food.

Banjo had an op on his neck last year because he had two buldging discs & kept collapsing :( all very scarey but he's spot on now :D at least the front end is :rolleyes:

3. Chelseaboy

Thanks Dally banjo.

All very strange as never had a problem before this morning and he now seems back to himself which is odd.I guess we should still give him the metacam as prescribed. We always use harness anyway. Thanks for the tips and Glad Banjo is feeling happier.

Lee

4. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Thats good to hear :) the Metacam is probably doing its job, try & make sure he does'nt jump on or off anything to, not always easy I know :rolleyes: :lol:

5. Chelseaboy

Many thanks. We will try!

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Hopefully it is just a trapped nerve or he has done something and caused trauma to his back or neck and its just inflammed it can happen quite easily sometimes, Ive had it with my dogs in the past. CKCs though do have several hereditary problems that can cause them not to like having their heads and necks touched and symptoms as you have decribed. I wouldnt panic just yet, it could well be a strain/sprain/or pinched nerve, just see how he does with rest and the metacam.

Some dogs can be sensitive to metacam and it can have side effects. Just familiarise what these side effects can be, all details should be on the patient leaflet with the medicine, that way you will be aware of any signs should he have a reaction to the medication.

There is a good website for owners of CKCs which might be of interest
    The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel | Cavalier Matters: A Guide To Health, Care and Buying of Cavaliers

One

7. Chelseaboy

Thanks Sled dog hotel. Not sure I should have read that!

I am hoping it is just a trapped nerve but thanks very much for the resource you provided. Very helpful.

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It could well be or some kind of sprain or strain as I said it can be easily done Ive had it with mine and they a bigger more athletic robust dogs as well. One was screaaming the house down, after boucing about after a squirrel that ran up a tree and screamed everytime she moved, and it was just a soft tissue injury, that pain killers and rest sorted.

9. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Metacam is rarely a problem for short term usage.

10. Chelseaboy

Thanks Rona

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice