Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dogs in flats

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by clerkenwell, Apr 2, 2011.

1. clerkenwell

clerkenwell PetForums Newbie

i am about to write a big peice for a broard sheet news paper about why people have dogs in flats in central london . i am a dog lover so i jumped at the chance to try and defend my furry friends but there are some pretty compelling arguments as to why they should not be there at all . so this is your chance to have your say and get stuck in . try and be objective but there is going to be a big move later this year for it to become illegal to keep a dog in a flat for some the following reasons ;

they bark, intimidate , smell , foul common parts , get left locked up ,are expensive to keep ,create additional waste , chew , and so on.

young people choose to keep them as fashion accessorys and pick scarry looking breads to look hard and cool. cant controle them, dont bother to look after them and scare the life out of the residents and visitors . never clean up after them and are always looking to palm them off on to ill suited patrons or actually anyone to relive the work

unfortunatly nana and tiddles get caught up in all this but that seems to be too bad because without passing a law the rest of the world are being subjected to quite a lot:

2. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Unless they are radically changing the perception of private property then I would doubt this is possible. They may make it a rule in properties owned by the council but even then each housing association has different rules and they would find it difficult to apply it retrospectively (i.e. any dogs already living there would have to be allowed to stay).

As to the actual issue there was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago so I'd do a search for that.

3. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

Dogs in flats? My girls prefer heels.

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

4. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

:lol::lol::lol:

Well they do accentuate the leg! :tongue_smilie:

5. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

They can do that in houses and bungalows ect...too :confused:

#5 Cockerpoo lover, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  6. wynnpot

wynnpot PetForums Junior

Banning dogs from flats? Unlikely.

7. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

What's the expense of a dog got to do with where it lives :confused:, if a dog wants to chew on stuff what's the problem if the owner of whatever is being chewed is okay with it why should anyone else bother, I've also seen more mess made by humans in common stairwells than any dog I know has. If this had been posted yesterday I would have said nice one but if it's real then whoever decided on it has far to much time on her/his hands.

pika likes this.
  8. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

If you are going to be writing an article for a newspaper make sure you use spellcheck!

I doubt that it would be made illegal to keep dogs in flats and there are a great many who keep dogs in flats who do not do ANY of the things you have mentioned.

It's not the dogs in flats that are the problem in your observations but their owners ;)

pika likes this.
  9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Can you provide a source or evidence at all for your claims please?

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Its more common in the States to have regulations regarding pet ownership in certain towns. Many people are limited to number of pets in built up areas, also number of dogs. Even to weight of dog. I know alot of people on other forums who are limited to a certain weight restriction on dogs.
    Im afraid I can see the point. Somewhere like London is hugely built up and when you add together all the barking, dog waste and the fact you may have people from dog phobic cultures sharing narrow hallways with people who buy a dog to be intimidating you can see why the question would be asked.
    I say go for a weight restriction instead. My Chihuahua's can easily get on in a flat, already know how to use puppy pads(and create teeny poops) and nobody in their right mind would buy one to look tough!!LOL;)

11. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Never heard anything so stupid in my life. Dogs bark just as much in a flat as they do in a house, mansion, stately home, etc.

They as different councils may impose bans on their own property. But I doubt they can stop people who own their flats outright or indeed rent via private landlords.

Loads of people in flats own dogs and I bet the rescue centres can not wait for the rise in dogs being handed in from flat dwellers or a drop in adoptions from flat dwellers. Provide me with proof of your claims and I may stop laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. kerrybramble

kerrybramble PetForums VIP

I keep my dog in our flat, he does not smell, the house is clean, he does not chew, he is definitely NOT intimidating and only ever barks once when someone is at the door! to penalise everyone who live in flats, when this can be easily done in houses too is ridiculous, plus what are they going to do with all these dogs that are going to be kicked out of the flats?

13. KalokiMallow

KalokiMallow PetForums Member

I agree with all of those saying this can't be true. Bearing in mind how many more people now have to rent, and how many rentals are flats. Also, how on earth could you enforce it? If you applied it to only people who get flats after the announcement, then everyone would just claim they owned dogs beforehand. If you tried to make it retrospective then the rescue shelters couldn't possibly house all of the homeless dogs.

As for the problems caused by some dog owners, those are already covered under a variety of laws (anti social behaviour etc), a law banning dogs from flats altogether would be nonsensical.

In answer to your question about why people have dogs in flats, especially in central London? It's simple really - there is sod all other choice. The price of renting a house is astronomical, and people (mostly) love their pets.

Also, why are you assuming that flat dwelling dog owners have different reasons for owning dogs than house dwelling ones?

pika likes this.
  14. molly moo

molly moo PetForums Member

am sorry but i see nothing wrong in having a dog in a flat , when i first got molly i lived in a flat , and she loved it , we didnt have a garden so i took molly out first thing in the morning , lunch , tea and bed time and would also take her out in the middle of the night if she needed to go , firstly molly was getting the exercise she needed and so was i , my neighbours had no problem we me having a dog and molly did bark , but my neighbours said dont worry she a dog there suppose to bark . molly had everything she needed and now i live in a house i still do the same as molly is use to going on walks to have a wee etc and will only go out in the garden if she needs a wee right away x

15. clerkenwell

well to be objective you will appreciate that in fact in a flat the property is only private inside your own door . after that you are in common parts. once you have left common parts you are in public property .the law is the law if they decide no dogs in flats then you may noy not have the luxury of keeping your dog there at all . so unless you have found a way of teleporting you andyour dog over the common parts you may need to consider that others may be having the dog forced upon them.

16. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

What absolute rubbish you are talking. Genrally buildings in which flats may be apart of are run by management companies all of which are privately run so will have their own rules (although council ownede building mayb be different).

I do know this because I used to live in a flat so had to consult my management company when I got my dog not the government

If you are writing a piece then you need to ensure your facts are correct & as for your views on young people & their dogs :rolleyes: - is this wind up?

17. clerkenwell

well once you stop laughing you might think about the fact that clearly you dont live in a flat or probably never have . because if you did you would not have made such a ill thought throug responce . yes dogs do bark foul and intimadate wherever they are . thats the point flats are not approprate because you have people above you below you and beside you .

it makes no differance to the rescue centers were they come from they are tidying up the ill desisions . a disproprtionate number of dogs in there centers have infact come from flats.

18. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

No they aren't - they belong to whoever owns the building and the government has no right to tell whoever owns it what they can or can't do with it. It isn't public property at all. Plus not all flats are in blocks - many of them are in converted houses and they have their own entrances. What jurisdiction does the government have over those?

I'm pretty sure this is a wind up anyway.

19. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

You clearly have an axe to grind here - why make up a story? Why not just ask the question?

20. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Erm, I am laughing at the fact you think you will be writing for a broad sheet newspaper with such rubbish! I did live in a flat, if you check my previous posts (until Oct 2010) you will see this :rolleyes:

You obviously know nothing about dogs hence your remarks regarding them or journalism due to your poor & sloppy research

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice