Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs in flats how does it work?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dogwatcher, Feb 8, 2008.

1. dogwatcher

dogwatcher PetForums Newbie

Hi again
    I live in a flat, and have no garden, how do you go about training a puppy here?, I have two balconies, I thought about making some type of garden area in a corner, but then you have the problem of cleaning it properply. I what about older dogs, would have to walk as soon as I got up, really the dog needs someone it can relive itself at home as well really, but I'm sure I am not the only person living in flat, so how do you overcome this big problem? Also at what age do you girl dogs neutered?

2. Nicci

Nicci Guest

How many floors up do you live? May sound like a really silly question but you would need to 'puppy proof' any kind of balcony to prevent accidents. I'm not a firm believer of dogs living in flats, but I know people do it. You would also need to check with your landlord or local authority to see if your tennancy allows a dog to be kept in your property as I know some landlords or local authorities do not, I would read through your tennancy agreement (This is if you don't own your flat btw)
    Being as you have no garden area as such, your dog would need to be walked three - four times a day depending on breed and the age of the dog, but almost certainly would need to be walked as soon as you got up to relieve itself.

Bitches are usually spayed three months after their first season, some vets will do it before, some will not it's just a matter of ringing around to see who would be prepared to do it. Bitches usually have their first season from six months old onwards, again depending on the breed, it really can be a waiting game.

Hope this helps :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice