Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs in cars

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by woody6, Aug 12, 2009.

1. woody6

woody6 PetForums Newbie

Hi can anyone tell me where is the safest place for a dog to travel in the car?
    Mine sits/lies on the back seat, although recently, he has started trying to get into the front when i am driving. i have a harness for him that has been used a few times, but not too often as he has been really good about staying on the back seat until recently.

Concerns I have are these:
    If he has the harness on and i have an accident in the car, how easy is it to release him from it?
    If he travels in the boot of the car (due to him trying to get into the front,)how safe is he in the event of an accident?

The reason for asking is that i am in the process of changing my car and want to get him placed in the best place for him and me as up to date he is used to sitting on the back seat as I don't think he should be in the front.
    Thank you

I consider my self to be a good safe driver, it's others on the road. :smilewinkgrin:

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Depends on what type of car you have? best route is estate car with car cage for safety, expensive but well worth it!

3. Colsy

Colsy Banned

We have an estate with a dog guard in the back

4. woody6

woody6 PetForums Newbie

Thanks, I've only got a small car now and I'm looking at a mini so I don't think a cage will fit, sadly. He did use a cage for in the house until recently. Maybe a dog guard between the front and back seat would be better? Although reading some of the threads on here, getting a correct fit seems a bit hit and miss.

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I think the device to stop a dog getting through between the front two seats is a bit more standard than a dog guard that goes behind the rear seats to confine the dog to the boot. You should be able to get one quite easily, and if you pay Halfords a few quid they fit it properly.
    A dog in the boot would be vulnerable if you were hit from behind, and a restrained dog on the back seat would be hard to release if you were in the front, possibly injured. People outside could help release the dog if there were any, and easier if the car were a 5-door.
    My dog travels on the front passenger seat in a dog seatbelt. I have removed the back seats and use the car like a van with tools and stuff in the back. I think it's safe as the front of the car is most strongly built, and she is in easy reach. I have invested in waterproof seat covers - two layers!

6. woody6

woody6 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for that , can i ask where the waterproof seat covers are from? i did post this yesterday, I would like some that are suitable for wet dogs from whenthey have been on the beach or walking in the rain. My dog tends to roll around the back seat blanket, pull it all up and then end up laying on the seat anyway! As much as I love him, I can't afford to keep getting the seats cleaned!
    Thanks

7. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

A small crate will fit in a Mini Clubman, I tried Monty's in one when I was thinking of getting one.

Personally, I think the safest way to travel is in a crate in the boot, especially if like me you travel alot with your pet. Whilst travelling back from our holiday we had a puncture which meant that all the car boot had to be emptied onto the hard shoulder of the busy carriageway, not having to worry about Monty's safety during that time was a huge weight off my mind.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I got the seat covers from a local independent shop, not a multiple. I don't know what make they are, they cost around £15 but they are only for the front seats. I thought you were looking for something for the back seats. Argos do a pet travel kit, see page 851 of the new catalogue, item 26. It's a waterproof sheet that hangs between the rear seat headrests and the front seat headrests, covering the rear seat. £19.99. There's also a 'water resistant' rear seat cover for 7.99 on the same page. It will leak.

9. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Wilkinsons does this black boot cover thing thats great for covering seats etc at about £6.
    Also halfords sell seat covers that wipe clean cheap.
    Good luck.

10. Maxie2

Maxie2 PetForums Newbie

We put ours in the boot usually obviously where she can pop her head up to see whats going on, by removing the thing covering the top.

11. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

I don't have a car, but when I still lived with my partner, who has a car, the dog sat in the back seat with a car safety harness. I agree with Kinjilabs that an estate car with car cage is the safest, but if you don't have an estate car I think the harness is the next best thing (if it's crash tested). If you don't have a cage or a harness, the safest place is on the floor in front of the passenger seat.

12. woody6

woody6 PetForums Newbie

Hi thanks so much for all your advice, I have been putting my dog in the front footwell and he is quite happy there. I have also managed to find waterproof seat covers for the back from petsathome so all seems to be sorted. Thanks again.

13. Prefer a good crate myself like the barnesbrooke,
    At the moment - due to pending change we are using a guard in the estate which I do not like!
    When is my car - which is small - both dogs are in the back seat with seatbelts attached to their collars - but only use this for local journeys
    DT

Attached Files:

14. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

We have a dog box in the back of ours.
    They are asfe in it and as for accident wise they would get knocked about a bit, but no real damage. As dad's truck is so large any car that rammed into it would be crushed :eek:

15. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Well with my grandma's 14 year old (in Nov) flat coated retriever x collie she can not manage to jump into the boot of my grandma's Audi A4 estate, and detests being lifted so she sits in the foot area of the passenger seat and seems happy enough. Only problems are when we are travelling places and car is full but we move the seat as far back as possible to give her as much space.

When we get our labrador it will be in the boot and we will get a guard (our GSP when we had used to climb into the back seats). We are planning on getting a 4x4 but we have no money to yet but saving as we need a car that can fit a labrador with space and tow a horse trailer and admittedly, our Mazda 6 certainly doesn't do that...
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice