Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs in cars

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Savahl, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Just read this sad story and it reminded me about the importance of being aware of the weather and our dogs in this weather.

As the temperature continues to rise it is increasingly important that we dog owners are aware of the very high risk of leaving dogs alone in cars in the heat - if only for a short half hour!
    Also, always make sure your furry friend has plenty of fresh drinking water available, and avoid much activity during the hottest parts of the day, when the sun is at its highest (i.e midday)

Common sense to most of us but always worth a reminder!

This has been a public service announcement...beeep

#1 Savahl, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  2. rona

rona Guest

i went to the vets the other day, 5.30pm, still very hot, there in the car park, admittedly in the shade, was a German Shepard shut in a car with no windows open :mad:

3. Becci-in-Hull

Becci-in-Hull PetForums Junior

At the end of the day I will say again that dogs are to me an extension on my family and I wouldnt leave my 2 year old in a car unattended so why do people think it is ok with dogs?:mad:

Sorry, it just really irratates me. lol. :cool:

4. Kazza1

Kazza1 PetForums Newbie

Even the Police do not heed this advice.
    2 German Shepherds died after being left in a police car in Nottingham. They said the temperature was around 29degrees plus. :mad::

5. sammyben

sammyben Guest

At the end of the day, unless your dog REALLY needs to be out and about with you...in this heat leave them at home where it is not so hot and at least they have their own comfort and even water!

xx

6. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

that made me so angry! the police really should know better - they really should be trained adequately to deal with dogs not just behavioural and training but health and safety. With the weather we have had its shocking that a dog could be left for 5 minutes in a parked car - cars are like greenhouses.

I went to a dog show the other day and it was clear that people had several dogs of each breed to enter each class when not required they were put in a hot car - that is not a family show in my opinion.

Its so so sad to think of the suffering they had :mad:

7. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I was out with my daughter last week and we saw a couple of dogs left in a car, we couldn't see an owner but I did have a car sticker with me that I shoved in the open window of their car. We were only gone a few minutes and the car with the dogs had gone when we came out if it hadn't been we were going to look for the nearest security guard.

I've made a few of these for family cars.
    [​IMG]

Terri

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Obviously you dont leave a dog in the car in this heat, or take it in the first place unless you have to but i dont agree that dogs should never be left in cars. Most dogs love the car, think of it as a place of safety and are only too happy to curl up and sleep. A lot of people take their dogs out with them wherever they go, even to work, and leave the dogs in the car. Any supermarket car park will have loads of dogs in the cars as will public car parks. My dog used to come to work with me, a travelling job. We were company for each other but she had to spend half an hour or so in the van at each site while I was working. I have known many people that take their dogs to work every day and give them a good long walk at lunchtime but leave them in the car the rest of the time. And why are dogs left shut in cars at shows, I thought everyone had cages or backs for the car so that the back can be left open and the windows can be left open so that it stays reasonably cool.

9. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I read on another forum that a couple of dogs died at Blackpool champ show through being left in cars. Apparently they were not entered dogs members of the public had gone to watch and taken their pets with them . Rather than leave them in the unentered tent which usually costs about £5 people were leaving them in their cars.:eek:ut::cursing:

10. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

This was discussed on the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 today, some unbelievable stories coming from people ringing in and also some interesting facts from the Vet from Dogs Trust... it can take as little as 5 minutes for a dog to start dying or die in a hot car. If you missed it you can catch it on BBC iPlayer - BBC Radio 2 - All programmes - Page 1

Incidentally, does anyone remember a band a few years ago called Dogs Die in Hot Cars - got a lot of people talking ;)

11. Stellabella

Stellabella PetForums Senior

I came out of tesco this morning, and in the car next to me was a border terrier pup. One window open no more than an inch!!
    I took the number and reported it to customer services, who were putting a call out, and the trolley guy, who said 'we always keep an eye on them' like it's a regular thing....:eek: :eek: :eek:

OK, so it was early, but I'd gone in the shop about 8.30 and it was comfortable, but when i got back to my car at 9.15, it was already much warmer and my car was like a sauna.

It was all over the news yesterday yesterday just how quickly temperatures in the car rise and dogs can start to suffer, so why do it??? I feel so angry!!

I couldn't stay but now I'm home I wish I had :( :( :(

12. Kazza1

Kazza1 PetForums Newbie

A reporter for Sky News last night, parked his car in a similar place in direct sun and left the windows shut and came back 20 mins later.
    The temperature was 47 degrees and he said the dogs would have been dead within 10 mins.
    The news today said that they may prosecute the policeman involved.:mad:

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I hope they do. Disgusting behaviour for anyone.

With the amount of publicity this issue gets, im amazed people still think its acceptabe.

14. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I agree but you know how stupid people can be, they automatically think oh that will never happen to my dogs, I'm only going to be gone for a couple of minutes.

Terri

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice