Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs helped discovery of Insulin!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by madferrit*, May 10, 2010.

1. madferrit*

madferrit* PetForums Senior

My hubby has type 1 diabetes and has just attended a DAFNE course(dose adjustment for normal eating) to help with taking his Insulin.
    Today he discovered that in 1921 Frederick Banting and his assistant Charles Best(no relation to George:arf:) isolated Insulin and used it on diabetic dogs with lowered blood sugar levels.
    In 1922 a 14 yr old boy was the first patient to recieve the first experimental dos of Insulin- and it saved his life!
    In 1923 Banting and Best won the Nobel Prize for their discovery:thumbup:
    (this is the shortened version lol)

I really never knew this! But how amazing. Dogs helped to find a way to control diabetes and now some dogs are used to detect change in blood sugar levels in patients.

Dogs are truly amazing!:thumbup:

obviously some of you may already know this but i'm still very impressed lol:eek:

2. madferrit*

Lol it amazes me how popular all my threads are ;-)

3. Sidsmum

Sidsmum PetForums Junior

I'm interested, diabetes was my specialty when I was nursing ages ago. Here's a pic of Marjorie the 'diabetic' dog

[​IMG]

4. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

Oh guys, I'm trying to type this without shedding tears, as they are creeping on up behind my eyes :crying:sorry. This is a subject real close to my heart. My last male Boo (visiting Rainbow Bridge shortly) passed coming on 12. He was diagnosed with diabetes after taking serious seizures and fits whilst out on his walk when he was 8yo. When he first had all his tests taken, he was on 15m of insulin a day. He just stood there like he knew his life depended on those shots, not a flinch from him. We attended the vets every two weeks with him, and as he aged, his daily insulin take rose to 70ml (2 shots daily). It saved his life, tho despite all the trauma he went through at the start, this was not what he passed away with. The vets were amazed that a) he had diabetes so late in life and b) that his insulin take was so high and said they had not witnessed anything like it. He sure was a fighter, and I am so proud proud proud to have owned such an amazing wonderful Dobefriend.

Thanks for sharing your amazing info Madferrit!

D

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That's great. I don't think we were told that when we were being told about the discovery of insulin.

6. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

sigh. I researched this subject for a long time.

Actually, dogs were the cause for finding a cure for Diabetes in a sense.

They were doing experiments on them. Experiments that involved removing the pancreas of these dogs and seeing what would happen.

I wouldn't call that a great thing. It was because of these experiments the discovery was made.

Shame many of the dogs that aided in the creation of the first insulin solutions died for it.

Ketoacidosis, the accumulation of sugars in their blood, organs failing, all without any recourse to relief at the time... :(

Such a great discovery (one that keeps me alive too), marred by the death of so many animals.

7. madferrit*

Yeah i understand, it's not nice dogs had to die to find this and i'm glad animals are now protected from this kind of research but i am totally greatful now knowing what i do and i still think dogs are amazing for all the help they have given us and that mu hubby is alive because of them, and so are many dogs :)

8. madferrit*

I'm so glad he lived such a good life and he didn't suffer with diabetes, and i'm glad he had such a wonderful owner who still misses and loves him so much :thumbup:

9. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Going from 25ml to 70ml! That's quite an impressive dosage and it most certainly shocked the vets.

It's good that he lived to an old age x:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice