Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs guarding the car - progress!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MirandaA1, Aug 22, 2013.

1. MirandaA1

MirandaA1 PetForums Member

I posted a thread a few months ago asking for advice about our dogs and their barking in the car when behind the dog guard in the boot (at mopeds, cyclists, people crossing the road behind the car, other dogs, you name it), and received lots of helpful advice. Thank you, those people.

Anyway, after months of researching crates that would fit into the back of our mini clubman (they wouldn't, at least not without being custom-made and costing £££), we finally had some dark window film fitted. Unfortunately, the dogs could see through it just as well as we could, and the problem continued.

So today, before indulging in any further expense, I blu-tacked newspaper to the side windows (just the boot/dog guard bits) and half the rear windows (so I could still see out of the rear view mirror). And had the calmest journey we've ever had with the dogs. Only one cyclist barking episode (Scout had manoeuvred herself to be able to see over the top of the paper in the rear windows). And the best bit was ... two calm dogs when we arrived at the park, because they hadn't been pumped up (cortisol???) by barking at everything. They've always been very good about not leaping out of the car when I open the door; they stand and wait while I put their leads on (one success among the many training failures!), but Scout had tended to leap straight on to Fly once they got out of the car, much to Fly's irritation ... but not today. Calm, calm, calm.

It was fantastic, and the calm continued throughout the walk. A revelation. So thanks to all who suggested things, and thanks to the original behaviourists who suggested we needed to deal with/manage the environment in order to improve the dogs' behaviour.

I'll be splurging on some limited blackout on the windows now!

2. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Ninja is far calmer since we had her in a fabric travel crate, one of the best management suggestions I have had :thumbsup: on occasional longer journeys I will have her in the foot well by my feet but actually she stresses less in her crate.

Have you looked at the fabric crates, particularly the arched top ones, zooplus do some.

3. tanglewood3

tanglewood3 PetForums Member

When you get the blackout windows, make sure they are two way. We have windows in the motorhome that you can see out of perfectly well, but you can't see in at all (very off-puting when you are on the loo)

4. MirandaA1

MirandaA1 PetForums Member

I bought a fabric crate, very early on in the process (before we'd got their metal crates in the house), and while trying to get Scout used to it in the house, she ripped it apart the very first day. I might try again though, because now they are both used to metal crates, so a fabric crate might not be such a temptation to eat!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice