Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs for rent

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BredaKim, Dec 1, 2007.

1. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

November 2007

I guess in Japan, you can just rent a dog, instead of buying one.

The Telegraph, a British newspaper, lists the prices of pet rentals, from dogs, to cats, hamsters, turtles, and others.

You can rent a dog for a day, for about $97.56 USD, or for a week for $371.69...
    Customers are provided with a small bag containing cleaning materials for cleaning up dog mess, as well as a drinking bowl for water. All food fed to the animals must be purchased from the store.

I guess it's one way to get some quick friendship without the committment!:eek:

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Try before you buy, a bit unsettling for the dogs involved, although most dogs are quite adaptable. I think if more people had experience of looking after a dog prior to getting one, they would realise they are not really cut out for owning a dog. i've had a couple of young dogs from people who decided they didn't want them because they were too high maintenance, they both promised never to get another dog.

3. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

i see something like that a few years ago on tv.
    very strange.

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

its all the rage over there
    people who cant have dogs rent them
    mostly the small breeds
    i watched it with amazement on some tv programe
    they have alsorts of things for their pets spa's etc

5. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

strange, you would get attached and wouldnt want to part with it,:(:(:(

6. jan-c

jan-c Guest

97 dollars a day!:confused:
    MMMMMMMMMM...........................Anyone want to rent a DDB?:D:cool:

7. Magik

Magik Guest

I totally disagree with this!! Dogs need a loving home - not to be passed around from place to place!! Cruel!!!

8. PatioDogDoors

PatioDogDoors PetForums Member

yeah you're right. you don't know if the one who will rent the dog will take good care of them or will be cruel to them.

9. For cats and dogs it could be very distressing......Just becouse they cant say it - it doesnot mean they could be treated like items.

10. petforum

petforum Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

I have heard of dog sharing over here in the UK. I think its quite popular. Some people who work during the day only have time to care for a dog in the evening after work, so they try to get someone who lives close to them to care for the dog during the day and take them for walks. I'm sure it suits some people, but not all.

11. nici

nici PetForums Senior

on telly this morning they were talking about... dog renting in america... all the dogs they use are homless dogs, and they say they screen the people who are going to take them, some take them for a day or some for a week, they say the dogs are fine with it and enjoy the who thing and also they do have some that get attatched to the dogs and keep them for good, so they aventually get a new forever home, sounds good, but how do you get the dogs oppinion :confused:

12. Old Dog

Old Dog PetForums Newbie

Yes indeed. In fact I have used the main service for helping you arrange a dog share, Find a Dog Share at dog.findashare.com - and by the way the are not restricted to the UK but are set up in the US, Canada and Australia too. They function to create and connect local people who want to share dogs, so they don't get directly involved, rather they link up people in your local community. The basic idea is to support people who can't look after their own dog full time any more (temporarily or perhaps permanently) because of whatever reason, they might have become ill, or elderly, or a change of job has the working away half the week or whatever it might be. Rather than risk neglecting the dog (or worse!) you can look for a local person who'd like to share your pet. For the other side of the coin, you have people with no dog, with circumstances that prevent them keeping one full time, but genuine dog enthusiasts who'd really welcome a dog into the part of their lives wher it is possible. Plus I met some really nice people and made a great new friend in the process!

People who say such things are cruel are siezing on a simplistic sanitized moral certainty that no doub comforts them and helps them think of themselves as good people. For anyone who fancies a slightly more in depth assessment of the practical and ethical implications of how to respond to life changes, I'd say that Dog sharing in the community is both a sane and humane response to some really challenging personal circumstances.

Old Dog

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice