Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs fighting need help!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by abi&jaki, Jun 26, 2009.

1. abi&jaki

abi&jaki PetForums Newbie

hey thanks for looking,
    i have 2 jack russels and they are of the same age and litter, both bitches. they have fought a few times in the past but these have been easily broken up no real damage down but no all they wan to do for the past day is kill each other.
    we are having to keep them in separte rooms and thy only now sleep next to each other in different cages, we tried wearing them out with a 2 hr run but this didnt help.
    please any help or advice u can give would be greatly appreciated.
    Tom

2. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I have moved youer thread to the dog advice section, you will get more replies here :)

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Are they neutered?

4. Nicci

Nicci Guest

This probably is something that won't ever stop, both bitches both litter sisters, both terriers :(

I have no constructive advice but unless you are prepared to live with it and I know how horrible these situations are, believe me.

The kindest thing to do is perhaps rehome one of them.

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I have copied and pasted this from a post I wrote on page 13 regarding dogs fighting. If you look through the pages, you will find other ones which may help.

My newest rescue, Sammy was un-neutered (was done 3 days later though!) and him and Max used to fight. Max is a problem anyway and these fights resulted in injury to me and trips to the vet. Fingers crossed they have not had a fight for nearly two months (I am holding my breath as I write this!) To solve this problem they have been walked and walked and walked as a pack twice daily. They have been put in the same room on their own with muzzles on, but now no need for it. The one thing I did not do was seperate, even though it was HARD and it would have been the easiest thing, I had to monitor it. Seperating will only make it worse. It is particuarly important that they are put back together immediately after a fight. Otherwise their last memory of their time together is bad. If they are in the same house then this tension can grow and you have a bigger problem.

Have these fights only happened with you are around?
    x

6. Unfortunately this is something that often does happen with litter sisters, You don't say how old they are but I would assume that they are approaching maturity, or about to come into season. I can offer little advise as to how to curb this, Maybe Noushka could help and she keeps Husky litter sisters together! BUT! she does have an older bitch who in the matriex! They may just find there own place and things may settle down - but cannot guarantee it.
    regards
    DT

7. abi&jaki

abi&jaki PetForums Newbie

hey everyone thanks for ur replies and help, they are 3 in a couple of months and we think they are now in their heat, they last had one around 5 months ago so its about a month off.
    we have been having them sleeping in cages next to each other in the same room and putting them in the cages during the day for short periods as well. the problem we have is we have had a few small fights in the past and put them together again after the fight but this time as soon as their feet hit the floor they charge at each other and try to kill each other.
    they have not benn spayed yet though we are now seriously looking at doing it.
    Today we took them for a 2hr walk with muzzels on to begin with but we had a friend along with her german shep. so there was focus much more on a pack feelin we took their muzzels off roughly half way through the walk and they were walking well together although when we stopped to chat to another friend tension was starting to build.
    we are hoping that by sleeping in cages next to each other again tonight and taking them for a long pack like walk tomorrow morning and tomorrow night might help bring them back to how they were, though i dont think we can ever trust them to be allowed together and certainly not in the same crate.

Any further comments and advice would be great, and thanks again so much for your help so far
    Tom

#7 abi&jaki, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  8. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Spaying them both won't help, the dogs I have had problems with are both spayed, it has very little effect, infact they were probably worse afterwards.

There is an old saying, dogs fight for breeding rights, bitches fight for breathing rights..

I've found bitches that usually start to fight it turns out to be a lifelong problem, these dogs are sisters, and both terriers and one will probably end up killing the other. Problem is they are both the same age and have similar status therefore one will compete with the other to become "top dog".

It is impossible to get bitches to get along with each other once they start fighting and I can 100% guarantee spaying won't help, it don't have the same effect as it does with male dogs and even in some cases, failure can still be high with the males, my aunts male dogs fight even though both have been "chopped" and I dismiss that it's not because she's not in control of her dogs, most responsible people are, it's nothing to do with rank, her boys are behaved beautifully they just hate the sight of one another!

Crating them isn't a longterm solution, it isn't fair on either of them, I think you need to think if you can live like this with your dogs? With a dog of their size it's possible but human error needs to be taken into account and how you can manage this.

Other than getting a APDT reputable behaviourist in, I don't know what else to suggest but I doubt the quick fix solutions you are looking for here, isn't going to happen :)

You can find your nearest behaviourist here Welcome to APDT - Association of Pet Dog Trainers UK.

Unfortunately we went down that route with our dogs, it didn't work we had to resort to other methods.

9. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I agree with this post ^^^

Whereas dogs, and dogs and bitches, can fight and then seem to get over it, fights between two bitches seem to be worse and they tend to hold grudges. Unfortunately you may well find that once they've fought, they're never going to get on. By all means contact a behaviourist but don't have your hopes too high. As Nicci says, it would be unfair to crate long term. You need to be prepared for possibly rehoming.

10. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi sorry that you are having problems with your dogs, but also have to agree with the previous 2 posts, ibitches are known to fight till death!! and even more so if litter mates. I know a lady who had 2 bitches and while out walking them 1 day, the bitches just went for each other, she had to run and get help, but when returned one was already dead, i know this is extreme, but you may have to consider rehoming one of them, better to have them both happy in seperate homes, than living with constant tension with each other. sorry again this is probably not want to hear.

11. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I empathise with you. My two bitches would kick off at each other without warning - unlike males who tend to go through posturing, growling etc bitches just get stuck straight in. And then there's the terrier element too (mine are terriers too - PRT and Collie x Patterdale) so they really make a noise and are hard to get hold of because they are so wicky.

I'm no expert, but I have been through the problem with a fine tooth comb with a behaviourist and in my case (I am not trying to diagnose your problems!) it was called Inter-Bitch Agression. You could probably do a google search to give you an idea of what it involves. I am aware of the flash points between the two dogs (access to me, or food, or toys, crossing boundaries, interferance from another dog or when things get to hyper) and I am extra cautious at those times. It wouldn't be possible to go into everything you need to do on a forum, besides, we could be barking up the wrong tree! I'd suggest the help of quality behaviourist asap too.

Here's another place to look for a good behaviourist.... Canine and Feline Behaviour Association or talk to your vet and ask for a referral, this way if the fees are pricey you may be able to claim on your insurance. (check your policy and speak to your chosen behaviourist who'll know all about different companies and the claiming rules)

Don't lose hope, it is possible to modify their behaviour! x

12. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

I have no real problems with my two girls, neither are spayed, when one comes into season there may be a little play fighting , nothing more, id be truly upset if anything worse was to happen but my other gil is in season now and she is just in a bad mood, barking at people she doesnt know coming into the house more than anything but no fighting. Its a real shame, i wish i could offer some advice, the thing is by keeping them apart but together, they are just that.....not actually together so they are not feeling part of each others life until you put them together anyway which doesnt really sort the problem im afraid because as soon as you do there will be fighting.

13. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your girls, i agreee with what the others have said. No one should have 2 puppies from the same litter and especially not bitches, as when they start to mature, there is bound to be fights to find out which is top dog. and i know people that have had 2 bitches and they have had to make the heart breaking decision to rehome one of the dogs for the safety of the dogs and all concerned. This situation will not improve at all, as once they have started to seriously fight you will be living on egg shells as to when they will have another go at each other, they may have days when they seem to get on ok, and then bang there fighting again. You must never leave them alone together now unsupervised as you may come home to one of them or even both seriously hurt or even dead. This does not just happen with litter mates it can happen with a younger bitch challenging an older one for the position of top dog.

I have 2 bitches one of 3 and half and one of 14 months, my 14 month old bitch is going to be the dominient one, as my older bitch is so laid back it's unbelievable, we have an older 12 year old jrt who has been the top dog for a long time, but i can see that this will change in time as he is getting old now.

good luck with your girls and let us know how things get on :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice