Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs eating things they shouldn't have

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jlon, Jun 27, 2009.

1. jlon

jlon PetForums Newbie

For a few days now, our dog has been sick. He seems happy enough, if a bit quieter than normal but throwing up constantly. We suspected he might have eaten something out of the old sofa out the back that we left out until it was collected.

Just this evening he ate his dinner, was sick out the back. I had planned to take him to the vet first thing MOnday morning. He's now sicked up 2 big pieces of foam-y plastic - it looks like the stuff you'd get an electronic device wrapped up when you take it out of the box?

Do you think thats the end of it now? I'm worried about leaving it till MOnday now in case he gets worse or there is more plastic trapped in his tummy somewhere :mad:

2. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Just experienced the exact same thing. Indy ate A LOT of carpet!!

Symptoms was literally just vomiting for about 3 days (carpet came up about day 2), then no food for about 4 days i'd say. Took her to the vets and she got a few shots and told to return the next day for an xray, luckily that night she ate and kept it down, no xrays were needed, but she got a few courses of meds; one that looked like gaviscon, and the other i can only assume was a pain killer.

The advice i read and was given was to basically starve for 24hrs, then give her bland food only i.e. rice and boiled chicken.

If it's going in, staying in and coming out the other end, it looks good. If there is a blockage you need to worry, i.e. it's going in and coming straight out again, or it's going in and not coming out the other end. Have a feel of your dogs tummy - look for pain and bloating, if there's bloating you'll need treatment asap.

Oh to add - if he's vomiting, keep the water intake going, little and often, squirt into the mouth if necessary!

Would definately take up the vets appointment, even if food is being kept down...

#2 r_neupert, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  3. jlon

jlon PetForums Newbie

Ok cheers - I'll have a wee feel of his tummy now.

Just gave him a little schmacko treat as I'm sure he is starving (and I wanted to see how he held it down), but I'll not give him anything now until tomorrow evening.

Will def go back to the vets on Monday...Thanks!

4. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

I did read broth was good too - to get nutrients in without them eating. I didn't have broth, but tried stock...!

Think the 24hrs will just help "reset" the tummy... try stick with him as much as you can, my dog has a disgusting habit of re-eating vomit, god knows how often that carpet came up and got eaten again...

It could be worse - my dog ate 3 months worth of contraceptive pills and packaging may i add... Apparently the natural properties of it meant it did her no harm, but boy was she sick for a few days!!

Hardly one to talk really considering my dogs track record, but because they really don't know any better, we have to do the thinking for them and move anything and everything out the way!!

5. jlon

jlon PetForums Newbie

Haha my dog did that also as a pup. Vet found the contracaptive pill episode quite funny :)

He was sick a few times during the night, like a white foam, and has gone very quiet and mopey. Going to head to the vets first thing in the morning. How come he always manages to get sick over a weekend? :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice