Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs eating charcoal?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Wyrekin, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

Last winter I discarded the sweepings from my open fire under the trees in my garden. I use a mix of wood and coal to run my fire.

Anyway this has never been an issue with my other dogs but today Layla carried what looked like a lump of coal (possibly charcoal?) and proceeded to try to eat it. I stopped her and I know that they make charcoal bonios and things but I wasn't really sure whether or not I should be worried by this? Has anyone else encountered this or do you all dispose of your fire sweepings in the bin rather than under the trees in your garden? :eek:

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Chester nicks the odd piece of coal from our coal bucket , if I catch him I take it from him, but there has been the odd occasion he has done it and I have not noticed..he as always been fine afterwards , but I too wondered in the past if it would do him any harm..he also likes to eat the bark off the logs :rolleyes:

3. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

Sam has been a real pain for finding and eating charcoal left by tourists., No idea why but he loves the stuff. I try not to let him eat too much but doesn't seem to hurt him.

4. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Maybe they have stomach ache and are medicating themselves?? Charcoal absorbs excess gas and any toxins in the stomach and gut.

5. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

I'm glad Layla's not the only one then. I wouldn't have minded so much if she'd stayed out in the garden with it but she insisted on chewing it on my living room rug! She seems ok at the moment. I just can't see how it's appetising? Maybe KFM is right and she is self medicating. She did drop a rather noxious fart last night! :eek:

6. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

They need it to activate phosphorus in their diet (think it's phosphorous). I give mine little lumps from the wood burner, they would eat the lot given half a chance.

7. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

I don't know of any dogs that do this, but am sure I've read of a few pregnant women craving charcoal. Could it be a hormonal thing?

8. cheekymonkey68

cheekymonkey68 PetForums VIP

Toby grabs charcoal from under the woodburner in the winter months, he loves it! We chop and season our own wood, so we can be sure there are no strange chemicals on it before it goes in the fire.
    No bad effects but dark poo!!

9. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

Well you guys have put my mind at ease. She is fine today and her poo was normal. I won't rush over to get it of her quite so quick next time!

This is interesting, what an odd thing to crave! Layla is just coming out of season but that's probably coincidence.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice