Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs cut paw pad, Advice/reassurance please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bluesupero, Sep 3, 2013.

1. bluesupero

bluesupero PetForums Member

Reilly cut one of her pads yesterday, I bathed it in salty water and got a vet appt straight away.
    The vet said its fine, not deep enough for a stitch , and to bring her back in a week (shes getting spayed next week, so will check then), also to keep it dry.
    It doesn't seem to bother her, shes not licking it and is limping ever so slightly.
    I took her out last night (not on pavements as vet advised) and I also put on a pawz glove and that stayed on well, it did bleed again on walk but stopped instantly.
    The vet said pads are very thick and very vascular, but also very good healers. She said not to bandage it as , as its not a terrible cut the air will do it good.

My question is, To the the most common injury, Apparently is, how long do you reckon it will take to heal, and any good advice to help it on its way.
    Oh and also, I have to keep it dry, but do you reckon I should still bathe it....

She is a year old (well next week) border collie and is already giving me the sad eyes, cos I've not taken her to see her pals this morning^!

Should have titled this thread...'Thick and anxious owner alert!!'

Thanks in advance.

2. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I generally just bathe paw cuts the once and keep an eye on them after that. If it's wet and muddy out I tie a food bag around the paw and put a sock over it (helps keep the bag on) to keep it dry and clean. Mine have been back to normal exercise within a couple of days.

3. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

One of my dogs has sliced right through one of his pads on 2 different occasions .:rolleyes:

Both times he needed stitches.

They both healed very quickly about 2 weeks each time before the vet said they were ok.

These were deep cuts.

4. loukodi

loukodi PetForums Senior

Suki cut hers a few days ago, I bathed and dried it and kept an eye on it. It bled on and off for two days but nothing at all today, the whole area is dry. Of course it hasn't bothered her in the slightest.
    I think it bothers us more than our pooches :p

5. Sarahferret

Sarahferret PetForums Senior

The very best thing for healing cut pads is Vaseline. Pad tissue, unlike normal skin, heals best if kept moist. Apply a thick layer of Vaseline three times a day and it will soon be back to normal.

6. bluesupero

Thanks everyone, very reassurring and am glad the healing prcess seems to be straightforward :)

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Because of the bit in bold personally I would keep her off it for a day or too as much as possible and not walk her, to give it a chance to granulate properly. Even though it stopped pretty quickly, after the weight on it and the walking could be opening it up slightly causing bleeding again. if It keeps bleeding rather then giving it time to granulate properly you may find it will take longer to heal up.

8. bluesupero

Thanks, yes that does sound sensible, as she is not a calm dog, so a gentle walk would be impossible, Lol!

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Maybe try getting he to do things she can use her brain on for a day or two instead, often mentally challenging things, can wear them out just as much as walking. It is a problem with an active dog, but being on it too much or still walking on it even if not on hard ground would likely still be causing abrasion and opening it up, before its had a chance to granulate properly.
    Not easy I know Ive had one with quite a bad cut to the paw pad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice