Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog's Behaviour on lead is horrible

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Daire Galvin, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Daire Galvin

Daire Galvin PetForums Newbie

Hi there, 6 month old boxer owner here. When we take him out on his walks, he starts to bite and tug on his lead alot for no reason, and will go for hands sometimes. We've had a trainer out and she has asked if there is any pattern to when he starts, but there is none so far. He is well behaved in the house, although very overexcitable. My mum tried to keep the harness on him for a while so he wouldn't be as annoyed by it being on, but this only made him aggressive, especially when I tried to take it off. Any ideas on how to get him to walk normally? It's become a real problem to the point nobody in my house wants to walk him

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Trust me there is always a reason. I would guess it's excitement and he's trying to get you to play. Most of my collies have done it as youngsters (and some not so young). Does he settle once you've been out on your walk for a while?

Sarah H, kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Daire Galvin

Daire Galvin PetForums Newbie

Not really, it's usually the worst on the walk back home. He tends not to do it as much when we bring him to a park or somwhere other than his usual walk

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

My boxer does this he is often either over excited or overtired. He is playing but yes it is very annoying. Boxers can be quite boisterous in play.

I take a tug with me and redirect when he starts or if your dogs a foodie sniffing is very calming sprinkle some treats on the ground for him to sniff out and find again redirecting the behaviour.

kimthecat likes this.
  5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

LOL I saw the title, opened the post and got this far and just chuckled. The above pretty much sums it up. You have a 6 month old boxer. He is going to be horrible in some way or another, it's in their job description :D

As above, get him to redirect on to a toy and use that drive to play to ask him to do things.
    I'd keep working with the trainer because you're going to need to learn all sorts of tips and tricks to help him focus, keep focus, and learn some impulse control too. Boxers are really fun, awesome dogs, but they are a lot of dog especially in their younger years.

Ragnar&Biffy, Sairy, Ian246 and 3 others like this.
  6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

:p

DanWalkersmum and O2.0 like this.
  7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

You know it's all true!! :p

Boxer123 likes this.
  8. darrell11RP

darrell11RP PetForums Newbie

My uncle has almost the same dog's behavior issues, and the only thing that helped is - different toys, that could entertained dog. I can suggest websites where you can buy different toys, like this one with interactive dog toys for boredom where you can get two or three different toys, and look what exact toys does you dog like to play with.

#8 darrell11RP, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice