UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Dogs behavior since getting neutered ..?

600 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Deleted member 1247421 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Just looking for some quick advice really or if anyone else has had the same experience with their dog.

I have a 11 month old beagle named Bailey, going to be 12 months old this month (October). We have recently got him neutered as advice from our vets and friends/family as we arent going to breed him and hopefully it will stop him looking for a mate and not as aggressive! but being a beagle he is always going to be naught haha!

Since getting him neutered his aggression is at worst i have ever seen it, he normally is just aggressive when he is possessive over something e.g something he may have caught. Recently after his surgery, its been about 2 weeks roughly - his aggression is just getting progressively worse and he is actually starting to scare some family member because of this. He growls, his hackles come up, bears his teeth, goes for you and has biten me and my partner on an occasion. He has a heart of gold, i dont know where it comes from like it snaps into another dog, its horrible! He does this at the most simple things, usually the things that he doesnt want to do, go into the kitchen, he will lay on the floor and growl at you, if he has stolen a sock or something and he wont give it back he goes crazy, growls wont give it back and goes for you.

I didnt know if anyone else has experienced this after getting their dog done, could it just be down to hormones everywhere or something more ... ?

Thank you :) x

See less See more
#2 ·
This is resource guarding. There's a sticky on it that you should read - find it at the top of the behaviour section.
He may still be a bit sore down there, as well - has he had a subsequent vet check which should be the first port of call with any behaviour change?
Some dogs DO become more outwardly aggressive after neutering, as the testosterone that keeps their confidence up has been removed and they feel they have to be on the defensive. 2 weeks post-op, there should still be testosterone in your dog's system as it takes a few weeks to dissipate.
He's approaching maturity and behaviours that he didn't have as a puppy will be making themselves felt.

#4 ·
This is resource guarding. There's a sticky on it that you should read - find it at the top of the behaviour section.
He may still be a bit sore down there, as well - has he had a subsequent vet check which should be the first port of call with any behaviour change?
Some dogs DO become more outwardly aggressive after neutering, as the testosterone that keeps their confidence up has been removed and they feel they have to be on the defensive. 2 weeks post-op, there should still be testosterone in your dog's system as it takes a few weeks to dissipate.
He's approaching maturity and behaviours that he didn't have as a puppy will be making themselves felt.
The only thing that worries me is that he growls at the most stupid things, like when he doesnt want to go into the kitchen he will roll over onto his belly, and you try and move him and then he will growl, or like the other day i was drying him and he started growling ? so strange he was never this bad prior to surgery, but perhaps like you say its still early days and perhaps his hormones are everywhere...

#3 ·
This sounds like a combination of resource guarding and a dog lacking in confidence. Unfortunately having him neutered may well not have helped his confidence which is why he has become worse due to the lack of testosterone. Resource guarding needs to be treated very carefully and there is a sticky thread at the head of this section of the forum which will give you lots of tips. One thing you impost realise now is not to challenge him over taking something off him as he will feel the need to guard it more. Start by offering to swap the stolen item with something much better like a very tasty treat especially if you can toss the treat away so that he leaves the stolen item for you to pick up.
I do feel you would benefit from some visits from a behaviourist to see what exactly is going on and to help you. Make sure you find someone who uses positive reward based training not someone who talks about being the Alpha.

Reactions: Lurcherlad
#6 ·
i assume its just a mixture of his hormones are everywhere and like you say he may feel like his doesnt have much confidence due to not having much testosterone, perhaps when it levels out he will be ok ? like you say i think it might be good for someone to come and look at him and see what is going on... thank you !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.