Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

"dogs arent for showing off you know."

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cassies-mum, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

I was told that yesterday because my friend asked to see cassie spin (she turns around for a treat :001_tt2: ) and because i said training her is a hobby of mine i was then accused of calling their dog stupid :eek: :eek:

I just said that i didnt think their dog was stupid but that id rather my dog didnt pull me into the road where she can get hit by a car Thankyouverymuch :001_tt2:

anyway just a little rant :rolleyes:

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I've been told my dogs are overtrained and you shouldn't train a dog that much because they didn't pull on the lead, had great recall and didn't try to eat the cat and rabbit. Dogs aren't stupid just their owners.

3. Cassies-mum

cassie loves to learn and its just a hobby of mine to train her (also was given 6 months to sort her out or she would have to go but i think my mum was bluffing there:rolleyes: )

but shes not for showing off - shes just a wel behaved pet :rolleyes:

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Exactly if they enjoying learning then why not teach them tricks even if they are pointless its good stimulation for them anyway.

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

we have had similar comments

zebs very clever and learns pretty quick, someone i know can bearly get thier dog to sit and were like "whats the point of doing that its only a dog" mmm its fun for both of us you dim wit!

6. Cassies-mum

lol - also we've been accused of being cruel to her because shes obedient and "you cant have a dog that well behaved unless you beat it"
    erm... she enjoys learning... positive re-enforcement? ham? ringing any bells?? :eek:ut:

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yep been told it's cruel to train my dogs they're all clicker trained and the comments we got from someone because Max is an assistance dog and he should not be that obediant as their little foofly thing yapped at him and he just stood there ignoring it. Would they rather the 90lb Bouvier attacked their little brat?

8. Cassies-mum

lol, some people are clueless :rolleyes:

9. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

When I first started training Cheeko I was 9 I think and my friends would tell me you shouldn't train dogs it makes them spoilt. I'd ask them if their dogs were toilet trained and they were always like 'Yes but..' and I'd tell them 'Yes but nothing you've trained your dog aswell' :p Normaly shut them up but really I think they were jealous that I was going to dog shows and stuff. Cheeko still loves learning new things so aslong as he enjoys it I don't think it's going to cause him any harm.

10. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

As I own collies I believe it is their right to be trained as they just love it. But don't it make you feel proud when they obey you :yesnod:

11. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Thats funny, i'm sure the dog doesn't see it as showing off just doing something fun that gets a treat/praise.

I've heard someone comment that they think training takes away a dogs spirit, maybe they think they turn into some robot dog :confused:. Can only imagine that their dogs must be a nightmare, if given free reign so as not to quash their personality.

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Haha love the comeback you gave her ;)

13. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

my boy is off totraining tonight after a break of 5 weeks.
    He is going to be beside himself when he guesses where we r going.
    He adores training and often demands to do some training in the evening when i am pooped!
    He hates other dogs and other people but put him in a training class and he 4gets all these dislikes and gets on with all the handlers.
    its something he is good at and he enjoys doing, it has never affected his personality if anything it has complimentd it in a positive way.
    Dogs in general like to be led and enjoy interaction and pleasing their handlers.

14. absolutly. If you were cruel to a dog its more likely to not be obedient!

holly is obedient as i use clickers and treats. If i were cruel i doubt she would ever come when i called her let alone do anything else.

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I love showing how well trained my dogs are though I don;t train them purely to show off.

I think it makes a dog easier for people to meet if they do cute tricks, and Dave is getting pretty big I don;t want him to intimidate people by jumping all over them!

I used to like getting coments about my lab x carrying her tin of dog food back from the shop (it was 2 mins), some people said it was cruel, but I showed them what happened if I put the tin in my carrier bag... She grabbed hold and ripped, spilling everything just to carry the tin! Lol

Dixie is actually a bit of a show off... Whenever we have company she shows off how good she is at playing fetch by herself, when they don't throw the ball! Lol but she has to do it sitting as close to the person as possible, and keep looking at them to make sure they are watching! Lol

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice